276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Rescue

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

One of the love options was incredibly creepy from the start and, although it seemed like Bettina could sense that, she was not heeding the red flags. I cannot say I was extremely fond of the other option, either, and I did feel he did a few uncomfortable things, but I’d still choose him over what was behind door number two. The events in the story take place over one week's time. A week of lurking intensity: The night effaced even words, and its mystery had captured everything and every sound—had left nothing free but the unexpected that seemed to hover about one, ready to stretch out its stealthy hand in a touch sudden, familiar, and appalling. There is a great deal of confusion on all sides; no one (not even Lingard) is quite sure what what will happen by the end of the week, and the ending surprises everyone.

They take him to a training facility where they are impressed and state they want to train Joe to be a DEA drug-sniffer. Forgotten the title or the author of a book? Our BookSleuth is specially designed for you. Visit BookSleuth You can see this same fault hobbling The Nigger of the Narcissus where Conrad departs from the matter-of-fact struggle of men vs sea; to ruminate pointlessly about catharsis. (Uncle Joe: show us! Don't tell us!) To some extent, he is choosing between the native Hassim and Immada, who he regards as his own children, and members of his own race. In the circumstances, he does as many others have done, and chooses his own kind, precipitating the disaster. However, while his decision may be wrong, Conrad is sympathetic to his plight. Indeed, it is the European characters that bring the work to life, whilst the Malay characters are too shadowy to engage our interest. Conrad sides with the Europeans every bit as much as Lingard does.Story starts with Joe a drug-sniffing dog, his master Dan and a team of drug hunters are in Tijuana Mexico. There is a bloody shootout and six team members are shot including Joe. Then, one day, a raging, record-breaking storm hits his small Southern town. Denise Holton, a young single mother, is driving through it when her car skids off the road. With her is her four-year-old son, Kyle, a boy with severe learning disabilities and for whom she has sacrificed everything. Unconscious and bleeding, she-but not Kyle-will be found by Taylor McAden. And when she wakes, the chilling truth becomes clear to both of them: Kyle is gone. What this also has in common with those novels is Conrad’s interest in strong female figures. Mrs Travers is a great example of this, and feels very much to me like an attempt to invoke a heroine in the vein of James: smart and passionate while also being tightly constrained by propriety but also her own idealism. The key relationship is between her and Lingard, but there’s also D’Alcacer, who is supposedly also in love with her; if this were really a Henry James novel, D’Alcacer would probably be one of those cold-blooded protagonist-narrators, but by separating him from the actual narrative in ‘The Rescue’, Conrad is able to set up this Jamesian perspective as a slightly different thing to the structure of his novel as a whole.

In investigating Felix’s past, Bettina discovers that his life is nothing like what she assumed. For one thing, he’s not a Mexican street dog at all. A former DEA drug-sniffing dog, Felix has led a very colorful, dangerous, and profitable life. With Bettina’s story going viral, some interesting people are looking for Felix, making him a target—again. I Rescue Books Shirt, Book Lover Shirts, I'm Not A Hoarder Shirt, Reading Tee, Librarian Shirt, Literary Shirt,Librarian Teacher Bookish TeeAnyway, I gave up. I have just too many other good books on my to-read list right now. And, honestly, don't take this review as an indicator of her other writing. Here are her other better ones to look at -- again, these are written for a middle-grade audience, so they do gloss over some things: However, this is a very different Tom Lingard in other respects. He is more heroic and strong-minded, passionate and reflective. He is therefore considerably more sympathetic than the older Lingard of earlier books. Lingard begins trading in arms and saving money to help Hassim in the re-conquest of Wajo. He is followed around by Jorgenson, an old sea-captain whose life has been ruined. When Lingard explains his plans to Jorgenson, the older man warns him against taking action, and offers his own life as an example of failure. But in the end, with no future prospects, he agrees to join in the venture, along with his prematurely aged native wife. However, I didn't feel like the other characters were quite as developed as they could've been. Jakob seemed very similar to other male friend characters in Nielsen's historical works. And Alfred seemed a bit flat. I wasn't sure of his motivations. I think Liesel was the most developed out of the three. Bettina first saw Joe at an animal shelter in Tijuana, Mexico, when she was doing a story about Mexican street dogs.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment