276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Starling Games | Everdell: Bellfaire | 1-6 Players | Ages 14+ | 40-120 Minutes Playing Time

£19.37£38.74Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

If you run out of cards in the draw pile, shuffle the discard pile to replace it. If you run out of all cards in the draw pile and discard pile, you may draw from the Meadow cards as if they were the draw pile. After playing Pearlbrook, I was a little worried about Spirecrest. This massive expansion introduces beautiful new scenery, another oversized specialized meeple—the Rabbit Traveler, several tokens and cards, and, of course, the OVERsized (and wonderfully adorable) Big Critters. What separated Spirecrest from Pearlbrook and landed it higher on the list is the way the new mechanisms keep attention on the base experience.

Law, Keith (December 18, 2018). "The Best Board Games of 2018 Party games, town-building, reissues, and more". Vulture . Retrieved January 18, 2019. The flower festival is a new basic event that requires one of each card type for four points. This works just like the other basic events, and it is such an intuitive add that I kind of started to wonder why it wasn’t in the base game. I am not a solo gamer. In fairness to my love of Everdell, though, and in my desire to represent the full breadth of options well, I sat down to Mistwood and a mono e mono showdown (does Nightweave even have hands?!) with the spider. This expansion did not convert me. But there are two reasons I look at Mistwood so favorably on this list. The Everdell franchise is known for its stunning artwork and Bellfaire does not disappoint. Every aspect of the game fits beautifully with the main board and other expansions, should you wish to play with all of them together.A simplified version of the base game aimed at a younger audience called My Lil' Everdell was published in 2022 . [12] Digital edition [ edit ] During setup, shuffle the Garland Awards and draw 1, placing it either faceup beside the main board or in the designated area on the Bellfaire board. While I now own the wooden EverTree, and it is beautiful, I would hardly call it necessary. It is more of a conversation piece for the mantle than a practical component. Before we logged a half-dozen plays of the base game, we dispensed with the assembly of the tree. While the world stretches less into the third dimension without it, I cannot defend it as anything more than decoration for those playing on oversized tables. Where Bellfaire succeeds is with its simplicity and its modularity. It’s very simple to just throw a couple of these modules in – or indeed not – with any of the other base game or expansion content. For example, I would never not play with the specific player powers now, and each different critter all of a sudden has its own identity. The Market, I also like, but it is by no means a game changer – more like a nice, rewarding action that helps offer an option for every occasion. Expansion – Spirecrest

Everdell: Bellfaire is an expansion on the base board game which increases the total player count, letting up to six players compete to build the best city the woodland has ever seen. Developing on the base mechanics of Everdell, Bellfaire introduces a new board extension, representing the bustling market where players may trade their goods or send workers to gain resources. The market opens up gameplay, making resources more available to cater to the increased player count.

Bellfaire includes rules for adding a fifth and sixth player to your games of Everdell. I prefer lower player counts if only to save on time and table space. Having said that I do have a regular 5 player gaming group so adding the facility to play above the original 4 player max is very much appreciated. It also makes this one of the more versatile games out there with an incredible solo to 6 player range. These represent special awards granted by the king and queen to cities that display excellence in specific aspects of their city. All powers are additions to the normal rules of the game, so they do not replace the normal functions of workers that are allowed in the game, and they are not considered "card- playing abilities".

The setup was no joke, obviously, but once laid out the game is quite stunning on the table. Assuming, that is, that a table of sufficient size is available. I’m not sure I’d have been half as happy playing on the floor! By game’s end, our dining room table might have been able to bear a third player, but even at two we were often standing for portions of our turn because the needed component was out of arm’s reach. The scores were bloated, but not to an extreme. Honestly, they were only a small percentage higher than my most recent play of Newleaf. Using Player Powers will give each player a unique ability, based on which critter type they choose.

Contributors

You may pay as many twigs as you would like. Example: You could pay 6 twigs to decrease the cost of a Construction by 3 resources. On the plus side, the Player Powers are a lovely concept to offset the higher player counts for those who are so brave. Reducing each player’s worker count by one removes a number of turns from the game. Player Powers grant a bit of a boon as an exchange for the diminished workforce. I like the thinking here, even if we’ve yet to try a six-player affair. To be honest, we’ve tried the Player Powers in two-player games without removing the extra worker and they add a hint of superlative goodness to resource management. You may pay as many berries as you would like. Example: You could pay 6 berries to decrease the cost of a Construction by 3 resources.

Everdell was nominated for a Golden Geek award for Best Artwork and Presentation. [8] Expansions [ edit ] The garland award introduces a majorities aspect to the game. It gives 6 and 3 points at the end of the game to the 1st and 2nd place player, respectively, for certain objectives, such as most production cards, or most critters. There are 7 garland award tiles, and only 1 is in each game. This mechanic adds interactivity, as they are more common objectives for which players are competing. One of the biggest criticisms I’ve heard of Everdell is that it can veer into multiplayer solitaire, but this majorities bonus — and some of the content in the other expansions — fixes that. The board itself is fantastic quality with absolutely gorgeous artwork that clearly depicts all of the key locations, without ever losing the sense of style that links visual functionality perfectly with the whimsical woodland setting of the game. On the board, the player will position a three-dimensional model of the Evertree, which towers over the board and features a couple of tiers of branches on to which cards and animeeples will be placed. There are also a number of bonus cards (some of which are random) that will be added to either the branches of the tree, in clearings around the board or along the river that runs across its top third. Now the modules—we’ve stumbled upon another story altogether! We enjoy the Market, though we find we don’t utilize it all that often. The Garland Awards and the Flower Festival Event are fun and seamless boosts to the game. We don’t even pull out the northward-reaching Bellfaire board for these extras half the time, but that doesn’t make us love them any less! The player boards, while nice, didn’t provide that appeal either. These have never really caught on in our family. They are large and awkward, and they obscure the game materials that normally stand out so well just sitting on the table. And besides, we love freestyling the cities. Even when we take the boards out, I doubt we’re using them as intended. They’re just there to make our areas pretty.As I mentioned at the start of the review, players can mix and match the different modules. If you’re playing with basic Everdell, I think it is easy to mix in the Bellefaire board and everything on it, and to throw in the new player powers. Squirrels: Any time you use a worker to gain at least 1 twig, gain 1 additional twig. When playing a Construction, you may pay 2 twigs to replace 1 of any resource from the cost.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment