276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Night Train To Lisbon

£4.995£9.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The author of the mystery-book was a doctor; after treating one of the worst figures in the Salazar-regime he does penance by trying to help out the resistance. That words could cause something in the world, make someone move or stop, laugh or cry: even as a child he had found it enigmatic and it had never stopped impressing him.” (p. 42). Why is this small piece essential to our understanding of the puzzle that is Gregorius? How is his métier, teaching ancient languages, involved with everything he thinks? What is the importance of books in the life of Gregorius and Prado? How do books connect the two? In Lisbon Mundus has an accidental collision with a rollerblader. Are there other fortuitous “collisions”? Because his glasses were broken by the rollerblader, he gets new lenses prescribed by Mariana Eça. “With the new glasses the world was bigger and for the first time, space really had three dimensions where things could extend unhindered.” (p. 88). Discuss Gregorius and his eyesight. Concern with his vision has led him to some very important links. Connect some of these links to make a chain encircling Amadeu Prado. What other physical changes besides new glasses does Gregorius make? Discuss chance vs. choice. During the course of the story we see how the fictitious author wrestled with the Big Questions of good and evil and love. As the narrator learns of someone else’s life, he reflects upon his own. He gets new glasses and finds out how poor his old ones were – a metaphor for what is happening to him. Gregorius meets several people close to the doctor, and between their stories and the passages from the book interspersed throughout the story, learns more about this remarkable figure.

to Lisbon | Cheap Train Tickets to Lisbon | Trainline Trains to Lisbon | Cheap Train Tickets to Lisbon | Trainline

I just can't get this to come out right. Probably the review is off-topic or something else that's now forbidden, but fear of having my account deleted is interfering with my powers of logical thought. Otherwise, I'm sure I'd have done better. Words and names play an obvious role for the philologist, but even with that and, for example, the repeated extended chess games Gregorius gets involved in the novel is anything but purely intellectual and dry: down to Gregorius' students or the woman who teaches him Portuguese, as well as those who knew Amadeu de Prado, Mercier offers rich characters and frequently inspired small details and events. Night Train to Lisbon was made into a film in 2013, directed by Bille August, and starring Jeremy Irons and Mélanie Laurent Peter Bieri, better known by his pseudonym, Pascal Mercier, is a Swiss writer and philosopher. The book was originally published in German in 2004, and was first published in English in 2008. He becomes curious about Prado and, once in Lisbon, decides to speak to those who knew him, to find out more about his life. Almost without exception, Prado’s friends and family are open to discussing their relationship with Prado. Unlikely? Yes, it’s all very unlikely and yet....Peter Bieri, is a Swiss writer and professor of philosophy, who writes under the pseudonym Pascal Mercier. Night Train to Lisbon is his third novel. Both visitors who arrive at the Lisbon airport and those who do it by train or bus to Santa Apolonia, Oriente or Sete Rios stations have different transport options to get to the city centre. Several means of transport can also be used to move around the destination.

Night Train To Lisbon - Pascal Mercier - Google Books

The novel, as mesmerizing and dreamlike as a Wong Kar-wai film, with characters as strange and alienated as any of the filmmaker’s, is in fact preoccupied with translation, with all that can be lost or gained in the process. But more than that, it is concerned with the power of language to forge and dismantle people’s experiences, desires, and identities. (…) When a character undertakes this level of soul-searching, the temptation to over philosophize can be difficult to resist, and at times, Mercier succumbs, as with his drawn-out life-as-a-long-train-ride metaphor" - Amy Rosenberg, Bookforum Night Train to Lisbon is a sensuous tale of the pursuit of love and passion against all odds, set in the 1930s when the world was on the brink of war and suspicion of loyalty, motivation, and intent -- to both country and lover -- was at flood tide. A lot of Prado’s scribbles deal with our inherent inability to know other people, and of the struggle to know our own selves as honestly as possible. Even language is suspect as too weighted down with the overused dross of cliché to give us the key to this honesty. And yet, the protagonist is a teacher and lover of dead languages. If we take away language, what do we have? As the story progresses, the protagonist starts to experience increasing bouts of dizziness, as if he is losing his sense of place in the world. But just how are we supposed to react to this? Paul, Steve (9 June 2008). "Suggestions for all you Night time readers". The Kansas City Star. (Accessed in NewsBank Database (Requires Subscription)) Amadeu de Prado lived in Lisbon, so Raimund searches for him, hoping that this will lead to the woman. He finds Amadeu's home, where the writer's sister, Adriana, welcomes Raimund; she gives him the impression her brother still lives there. Raimund learns that Amadeu was a doctor, and that only 100 copies of his book were printed after his death. When Raimund asks what happened to their father, Adriana's reaction is hostile. As Raimund is leaving, the maid informs him that he can find Amadeu in the town's cemetery. Raimund finds the tomb: Amadeu had died in 1974.

Night Train to Lisbon

I recalled the words of the author Kazantzakis in the person of his character Zorba, "Everyone needs a little madness or he never dares cut the rope & be free". How was it possible that a man who lived so very methodically could suddenly experience a mid-life or late-in-life crisis and take a plunge into the unknown like the one suggested by the earthy Kazantzakis character? Bieri studied philosophy, English studies and Indian studies in both London and Heidelberg. From there he was awarded a doctoral degree for his work on the philosophy of time. After the conferral of his doctorate, Bieri worked as a scientific assistant at the Philosophical Seminar at University of Heidelberg. Danish film director Bille August's film adaptation of the same name, with Jeremy Irons as Raimund Gregorius, was released in 2013. Now in his late fifties, he is very set in his ways -- until he encounters woman standing on a bridge on his way to school one morning. The text of Amadeu’s writing is filled not with mere nuggets of wisdom but with a mother lode of insight, introspection, and an honest, self-conscious person’s illuminations of all the dark corners of his own soul.... Mercier has captured a time in history—one of time times—when men must take a stand.

Night Train to Lisbon by Pascal Mercier | Goodreads

O)stentatiously a novel of ideas. (...) It might be that some of the novel's charm has been lost in Barbara Hershav's efficient translation, but the philosophy it expounds is as unoriginal as the plot." - William Brett, Times Literary Supplement The events have become a catalyst to Raimund's sedate life, in a gentle sort of way. Yet he informs the school that he will now return to his job. Mariana accompanies him to the railway station and, at the last moment, suggests that he could instead stay in Lisbon. The film ends with Raimund looking at Mariana with the train about to pull out of the station, leaving Raimund with time to leave or stay.

Night Train to Lisbon is a 2013 internationally co-produced English-language drama film directed by Bille August and starring Jeremy Irons. Based on the 2004 novel Night Train to Lisbon by Pascal Mercier and written by Greg Latter and Ulrich Herrmann, the film is about a Swiss teacher who saves the life of a woman and then abandons his teaching career and reserved life. [1] The film premiered out of competition at the 63rd Berlin International Film Festival. [2] Plot [ edit ] When dictatorship is a fact, revolution is a duty.Normally, I would just leave it at that. It's a nice quote I hadn't heard before. But, in the current climate, I am concerned that I will have my account closed down by the GR censors if I don't explain myself more fully, so I guess I'd better do so. After he leaves his classroom what makes Mundus head for the bookstore? Why does he have such an instinctive reaction to the book Um Ourives das Palavras by Amadeu Inácio de Almeida Prado? Cite some passages from A Goldsmith of Words to support your view. O único aspecto abonador se revela no fato que autora consegue descrever uma ou outra coisa sobre a cultura portuguesa, porém mesmo isso se perde no marasmo dos outros fatos. We are treated to a lot of the local color of Lisbon and we learn a bit about Portugal’s Carnation Revolution of 1974 that overthrew the remnants of the dictatorship of Salazar. The book is reasonably fast-paced for including some heavy stuff. I highly recommend it.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment