276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Almond: A Novel

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

This quote was extracted from the Author’s Note. She clarified that she would not classify whether Almond was a happy or tragic story, as no one would truly know. Will Yunjae be able to fully feel all emotions in the future? Will he be able to find love? Will he and Gon be friends for a long time? Will Yunjae and his mother be okay? As Yunjae begins to open his life to new people—including a girl at school—something slowly changes inside him. And when Gon suddenly finds his life at risk, Yunjae will have the chance to step outside of every comfort zone he has created to perhaps become the hero he never thought he would be. So you must not have been scared when Gon hit you. But you do know that doesn’t mean you were brave, right? The Emissary meets The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime in this poignant and triumphant story about how love, friendship, and persistence can change a life forever.

Almond” - Medium 7 Reminders From Won-Pyung Sohn’s “Almond” - Medium

Suddenly Yunjae falls in love with a girl and we are told doctors sometimes get things wrong and now his amygdalae (!) are working and maybe even grew. Even though a few chapters ago Yunjae felt nothing when he saw his mother and grandmother bludgeoned with a hammer, he now magically can fall in love.As Yunjae begins to open his life to new people-including a girl at school-something slowly changes inside him. And when Gon suddenly finds his life at risk, Yunjae will have the chance to step outside of every comfort zone he has created to perhaps become the hero he never thought he would be. Almond follows the story of Yunjae, who was born with a brain condition called Alexithymia that makes it hard for him to feel emotions. And as the story unfolds, you can see how the author tries to portray this kind of condition to be something that is rarely understood in society and often leads to prejudice and discrimination. Yunjae was often labeled as a "monster" and got outcasted among his friends for his inability to feel anything.

Almond: A Novel by Won-pyung Sohn | WHSmith

I couldn't see this book to be as impactful if it was taken from a different culture. The commentary on Korean society is what made this book to be compelling for a coming-of-age novel. And it is so ironic how this book was supposed to be about a boy with no emotion, yet was enigmatically emotional. I honestly enjoy this book and it is highly affecting, which is sure to delight readers of every age. Pero esto pronto va a cambiar: un día su madre y su abuela serán atacadas por un psicópata y su vida dará un vuelco. Por primera vez se verá obligado a vivir solo, sin ayuda de nadie para entender a los demás. A partir de este momento no le quedará más remedio que acercarse a otros, tratando de comprender estos sentimientos que le son tan ajenos, y para ello empezará a relacionarse con diferentes personas: un compañero de clase abusón que esconde a una persona acomplejada; una chica especial que practica atletismo o un amigo de su madre que se gana la vida con una panadería. Siempre empatizo con estas historias donde se nos presenta a una persona que no encaja en la sociedad, que de alguna manera es diferente y eso hace que sea rechazado por esta, casi repudiado. Esos personajes inadaptados, que buscan entender la sociedad que les rodea, pero que nunca son aceptados por ella, siempre consiguen agarrarme y no soltarme hasta el final. Yunjae es un personaje increíble, con un carisma brutal, aún no siendo capaz de sentir.Yunjae is a teen diagnosed with Alexithymia because his amygdalae (woohoo!) are smaller than normal. As a result, he is unable to feel many common emotions like love and fear and anger. Almond is Won-Pyung Sohn’s debut fiction novel. The English translation was done by Sandy Joosun Lee. Book Genre: Asian Literature, Audiobook, Contemporary, Fiction, Literary Fiction, Mental Health, Young Adult People said there was no way to understand Gon. I didn’t agree with them. It’s just nobody ever tried to see through him.

Almond by Won-pyung Sohn, Sandy Joosun Lee | Waterstones

he leído varios libros ubicados en Corea o bien sus autoras son de dicho país y me estoy llevando agradables sorpresas, esta ha sido una mas. Plus I’m a huge fan of BTS and I can easily connect this with a book! Because if you know BTS and watched their show “In the Soop” you’ll know that RM as well as SUGA read “Almond” during the show. ;-) So this is the perfect choice for “read a book recommended by a Korean celebrity”!

Media Reviews

I mentioned earlier that Yunjae’s mother writes notes on how Yunjae should respond to someone’s actions. His mother teaches him how to react, claiming that it was out of love. However, he wonders if her actions are what love was: “But to me, it seemed more like we were doing this out of her own desperation not to have a child that was different.”

Almond Quotes by Sohn Won-Pyung - Goodreads Almond Quotes by Sohn Won-Pyung - Goodreads

I don't know, I'm not a mother so what do I know? All I can tell you is that if someone's gonna take care of my cat, they are gonna hear all about her needs and wants and quirks beforehand.

Almendra" me ha recordado a "Flores para Algernon". En este caso un protagonista (Yunjae) al que sus amígdalas cerebrales ("Almendras") no se han desarrollado del todo, impidiéndole experimentar los sentimientos o de leerlos en los demás. Esto dificultará sus relaciones personales en su día a día.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment