276°
Posted 20 hours ago

RØDE PSA1+ Professional Studio Arm with Spring Damping and Cable Management,Black

£59.5£119.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Podcasters working from home know that space is an issue, and traditional floor mic stands tend to be rather cumbersome, being designed for stages and studios rather than home use. As I’ve mentioned, setting up the Rode PSA1 was very simple and probably took a maximum of 10 minutes. Boom arms can be a little fiddly to get in place and this was something that I did feel was a bit of an issue with this product at first.

Although I only tested it with two small form condenser mics, it is stated as being able to support up to 1.2kgs steadilyThe setup itself was incredibly easy, taking me all of three minutes to mount it, attach it, and connect it to my microphone. I was good to go within minutes. As part of a studio rebuild I bought four of these booms to replace some aging and very twangy booms of dubious origin! Our main studio uses the SM7B and the PSA-1 supports these very well, balance is perfect and with a little patience feeding the mic cable through the channel in the upper leg of the arms and down through the centre of the base spigot gives a superbly sleek finish. As our guest positions were a custom made desk it was great to to use the circular flush desk mount drilled into the surface with its neat nylon collar (to avoid metal on metal) and a chrome bezel with the Rode logo on it. Nice touch of quality from end to end. The SM7B is hung from the spigot in it's classic formation and looks the part but he only point to note is the microphone's XLR connector casting restricts the horizontal movement a little at extremes but this isn't detrimental to normal use. The easiest way to mount the PSA1+ is to use the included table clamp. It works with most desk surfaces with a ledge, but won't be able to grip anything with a flush edge. We found the clamp to be a bit sturdier and less likely to budge than the one that came with the previous model—rubber end pieces are a simple, but notable, improvement. The arm plants into the recessed top portion of the clamp and can pivot 360 degrees once you attach it. Alternatively, you can mount the arm to a desk with the threaded desk mount insert, though this method requires you to drill a sizable hold into your desktop. The metallic base for this insert feels exceptionally sturdy in any case. The PSA1+ also comes with a 3/8-to-5/8-inch adapter, so you shouldn't have any issues attaching whatever mic you use.

Since 1982, PCMag has tested and rated thousands of products to help you make better buying decisions. Read our editorial mission & see how we test. One item that would have made a nice extra is a storage or carry case. Chances are, if you are fixing the Rode PSA1 to your desk, you won’t be travelling with it. But as the boom arm is spring-loaded it does make it a little awkward to store (unless you want to keep the original box). Once attached, the boom arm is slotted in and sits in the hole tightly. The great news for you podcasters and streamers is that there is zero rattling or sound made from moving the boom arm around. Impressively, there is also an inclusion of a rubber attachment on the mount, which ensures that you are dampening any sound from the desk that may come up through the arm. It’s these little add-ons that help the PSA1+ stand out from the crowd.The studio boom arm itself is spring-loaded and so without a microphone in place, it will jerk up and leave you wondering how on earth this is going to work whilst recording. The PSA1+ seamlessly pairs functionality with style, combining sleeks looks with completely silent operation and peerless stability. It features an innovative parallelogram spring design that has been precision-engineered to ensure movement is smooth and steady, even with very light or heavy microphones. This mechanism keeps the microphone placement constant when moved so it can be positioned perfectly with ease. The internal springs are fully damped and the arm features a high-quality neoprene cover for further reduction of noise generated by movement. I would have liked an extra few clips to keep the cable tight and stop any sag, which would add extra protection from noise, but that is mostly from an aesthetic standpoint.

One of the standout features of the Rode PSA1+ is its remarkable versatility and adjustability. The dual-axis swivel mount enables me to effortlessly adjust the arm's height, angle, and reach to suit my specific needs. Whether I'm sitting or standing, the microphone arm can be positioned at the perfect distance and angle, ensuring optimal audio capture. This flexibility is especially beneficial for long recording sessions, as it allows me to find the most comfortable position for extended use.

I’m sure this is something Rode considered but with the arm being designed to swivel, adding a way of fixing it could ultimately inhibit the functionality of the stand so it isn’t really a big point to complain about! Functionality – 8/10 Another showing of the PSA1+’s quality was the fact that the unit holds the weight of the microphones when fully extended. Evidently, this has been a problem with many of the cheaper microphone boom arms, where it does a good job at supporting weight when retracted, but as soon as you stretch it out, it topples over. No biggie with the PSA1+. It also seamlessly moves 360 degrees without any friction or sound. Never once have I heard the standard ‘squeak’ you often hear boom arms make when rotated.

Finally, the tops of the neoprene panels now have built-in cable management loops. Those cable loops allow you to snake an XLR or USB cable along the contour of the arm and save you from having to dangle or loop your wires from it. The previous version of the arm used Velcro ties, so this change is another simple, but valuable, improvement. Smooth Operator But this actually turned out to be a good thing which added to the flexibility of the PSA1. Having been used to positioning microphones on a drum kit or amp meticulously in the studio it seemed a little odd to have an arm that could move so easily. You can now install the PSA1 Plus directly into your desk using the newly introduced thru-desk mount system with a dedicated cable run for keeping things tidy. Whether you're podcasting, gaming or recording vocals, the PSA1 Plus will ensure you get the best take, every single time. The simple answer is yes. Podcasters who like to sit at a desk will appreciate the design of the PSA1. But it also has enough reach to accommodate those who want to stand as well. The real test for the Rode PSA1 is during recording. As I’ve mentioned, one of the best aspects is the ability to move the position of the mic without having to unscrew nuts or make any adjustments. So to make the most of this review I used the PSA1 in a recorded interview and was really impressed with how different it felt.Overall I was surprised by how much easier the PSA1 made recording. Even if I was a vocalist recording at home I could definitely see the Rode being beneficial. Long after this review is published, the boom arm will remain fixed to my desk and that pesky floor stand will be forever banished to the cupboard! It also has the option to run a small cable INSIDE the arm for a USB microphone, which has been added via a secondary inner cable clip specially designed for USB microphones such as Rode NT-USB-Mini. Unboxing will present you with 4 separate parts, which works well for someone like me who hates having to spread moving parts over the floor like a jigsaw! Straight out of the box you can tell that the Rode PSA1 is built to a high standard of quality. This should be of little surprise to existing RØDE customers, who appreciate the strong build quality of their products. Not only do they add a level of sleekness to the appearance of Rode PSA1+, the sleeve houses an innovative cable management system, making it much easier to keep your microphone cables looking neat and tidy.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment