276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Talking at Night: 'A beautifully observed, tender love story. A bit like Normal People. I devoured it' JOJO MOYES

£7.495£14.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Along the way, we meet a cast of keenly observed characters, from Will’s loving grandma, who acts as a surrogate mother after his own deserts him, to Rosie’s emotionally icy mother, who makes it clear she has high expectations for her only daughter.

The story of Will and Rosie is a classic love story in every sense, and yet, in Claire Daverley's hands, it felt entirely new' MARY BETH KEANE, New York Times bestselling author of ASK AGAIN, YESDal punto di vista del lettore, sembra di essere trasportati all’interno della vita privata dei personaggi. Li si osserva intimamente e si sente ogni emozione in modo potente, come fosse la propria. Spellbinding, beautiful, lyrical and tender, Talking at Night is a dazzling debut. I loved every word and was left longing for more." - Rosie Walsh Is the character of Rosie based on herself? ‘Everybody asks that of an author’s debut, but while my emotional fingerprints are all over her – like the fact we both went to Oxford University and her sense of perfectionism – she’s entirely fictional. In fact, I think the way she lives her life, always trying to do the right thing by everybody and not always herself, is very relatable to most women.’ US rights were sold to Pam Dorman at Viking in a pre-empt. The novel has also sold after auctions in Germany (Hanserblau), France (Robert Laffont), Italy (Rizzoli), the Netherlands (De Bezige Bij), with pre-empts accepted in Brazil (Companhia Das Letras), Romania (Bookzone) and Hungary (General Press). It is currently under offer in Spain and Lithuania. Amy Mitchell at United Agents is handling the foreign rights and Yasmin McDonald at United Agents is representing for book to film.

Will and Rosie go to the same high school but haven’t talked until one night at a bonfire where he inexplicably opens up to her. His past has given him a bad boy reputation, so he’s guarded with his emotions, but he feels safe with Rosie. She, on the other hand, is a rule-follower and good student whose future goals, along with her twin brother Josh’s, have largely been dictated by their successful mother. Will has no plans for uni, while musically-talented Rosie is being steered to Oxford, yet somehow this mismatched pair become best friends. Talking at Night is a love story, certainly, but it’s much more than that. I was rapt. I highly recommend this wonderful novel.” Spellbinding, beautiful, lyrical and tender, Talking at Night is a dazzling debut. I loved every word and was left longing for more.” The book also seemed to me like it was a story that was taking place much EARLIER than in the nineties-it DIDN'T have a very contemporary feel, though perhaps it was authentic for the UK in the nineties? Talking at Night is a masterful and authentic depiction of true love in all its messy, complicated and gut-wrenching glory. Will and Rosie are the perfect, imperfect star-crossed lovers – their story had me enthralled from the start.”Eighteen-year-old Mallory Greenleaf is no longer interested in chess, not since her hypercompetitive dad left—the game calls up painful memories. But she grudgingly agrees to play in a charity tournament as a favor to best friend Easton Peña. After she unexpectedly beats current world champion Nolan Sawyer, she’s offered a fellowship that will prepare her to play professionally. Even though Mallory doesn’t want to play anymore, she needs the money that winning would provide; she’s delayed college to support her family, since her mother is chronically ill with rheumatoid arthritis and is unable to work regularly. The more time she spends with Nolan, the more Mallory comes to like and respect him—and the more time she spends playing chess, the more she remembers how much she loved it. But when she learns that Nolan has been keeping a big secret from her, she isn’t sure if she’ll be able to move past it to build a relationship with him. Filled with the author’s signature humor, well-developed characters, and realistic conflicts, plus the fully realized setting of competitive chess, this captivating romance will delight teen readers as well as Hazelwood’s adult fans. Mallory and Nolan are both cued white; there is some racial diversity among the supporting cast. Mallory and Easton are queer. Wow... There's something special about reading a book in January that you know will make the top five by the end of the year. Fragt man mich nach Liebesgeschichten, bei denen ein Paar, das eigentlich perfekt zusammenpasst, erst nach vielen Schwierigkeiten und Jahren zueinanderfindet, fallen mir sofort zwei ein: Da gibt es einmal Für immer vielleicht von Cecelia Ahern. Dieses Buch liebe ich und war durch den Namen der Hauptfigur in Vom Ende der Nacht, Rosie, natürlich sofort daran erinnert. Dann ist da noch Zwei an einem Tag von David Nicholls. Auch hier gibt es Parallelen, da in beiden Büchern ein ganz bestimmter Tag eine wichtige Rolle spielt. Zwei an einem Tag mochte ich nicht besonders; es ist sogar eines der wenigen Bücher, bei denen ich den Film lieber mochte als das Buch. This beautifully written book begins in a small town in the 1990s and is split into three parts entitled ‘before’, ‘after’, and ‘long after’ (as the book unravels we learn the reasons behind these headings). It follows our couple’s complicated relationship over the next several decades, as they both attempt to navigate the challenges familiar to all of us, from parental expectations to the complexities of family dynamics, love, loss and grief.

The characters are well-developed and relatable, making it easy for readers to become invested in their story. The setting, nineties music, sideways glances, sunsets, and bonfires all contribute to the romantic and nostalgic feel of the novel. Deeply romantic . . . Reminded me of just how all-consuming and transformative first love can be. The more I read, the more I was completely immersed in the story of Rosie and Will and how life, and tragedy, conspire to keep them apart LAURA BARNETT, author of THE VERSIONS OF US Talking at Night captures perfectly all the messiness and missed opportunities, waiting, watching and longing between Will and Rosie. Can you tell us a bit about how you built these two highly-relatable characters and their story? A poignant and emotional will they/won’t they story that cleverly captures both the thrill and trepidation of first love Deeply romantic . . . Reminded me of just how all-consuming and transformative first love can be. The more I read, the more I was completely immersed in the story of Rosie and Will and how life, and tragedy, conspire to keep them apart.”Can you tell us a bit about how you found your agent, Ariella Feiner? What have you found to be the most rewarding, and most challenging, aspects of getting your novel published? However, even I, one of the five people who likes a good miscommunication trope, had my patience tested. At times, the stagnancy, misjudgements, and omissions felt overdone for plot convenience, and there’s only so much suspension of disbelief you can ask of me. An achingly beautiful novel about the people who change us irrevocably. This novel will consume you." - Jill Santopolo What does a typical writing day look like for you – if there is such a thing! – and would you describe yourself as a disciplined writer? Talking at Night is a love story, certainly, but it's much more than that. I was rapt. I highly recommend this wonderful novel ANN NAPOLITANO, author of DEAR EDWARD

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment