276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Our Bodies, Their Battlefield: What War Does to Women

£10£20.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

This is his face and this is a link to his foundation that I support - https://www.mukwegefoundation.org/muk.... Our Bodies, Their Battlefield provides a corrective that is by turns horrific and profoundly moving. Lamb, the chief foreign correspondent of the Sunday Times whom I have known and admired for years, is an extraordinary writer. Her compassion for those she talks to and deep understanding of how to tell their stories makes this a book that should be required reading for all – even though (and perhaps because) it is not an enjoyable experience. A few months later, she writes, fly-bys and US drones spotted a large group of girls, but it was concluded “they were beyond rescue in practical terms”. The atrocities in Our Bodies, Their Battlefields horrify, as they should. Lamb...does society a service by forcing us to look." Išprievartautą mamą, kuri kada nors senatvėje papasakoja vaikams, kas jai nutiko, vaikai kaltina ir su ja atsisako bendrauti.

Our Bodies, Their Battlefield: What War Does to Women

The author met with Dr. Mukwege who runs a gynecological clinic in Bukavu, Congo to aid rape victims. He won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2018. So, there are some heroes in this book. Broken people, the women with thin wavy bodies and long purplish hair framing faces drained of light, it seemed to me they were neither living nor dead. All had lost parents, brothers, sisters. In whispery voices like wafts of wind, they told of their beloved homeland of Sinjar, which they pronounced as Shingal, and the mountain of the same name which they thought would give sanctuary but where many perished of hunger and thirst. They told of a small town called Kocho, which ISIS had kept under siege for thirteen days then slaughtered all the men and older women and captured the virgins. And of the Galaxy Cinema, on the east bank of the Tigris River, where girls—some of them their sisters—were divided into ugly and beautiful then paraded to ISIS fighters in a market to be bought as their sex slaves. What I have seen [that] definitely helps their healing is when perpetrators get punished because that gives the victim confirmation by authority she was not the one at fault for what happened to her and that she’s innocent.” Kai kur (pvz Kongo organizacijoje "Jėzaus kariuomenė") specialiai ieškoma kūdikių paprievartauti, nes yra tikėjimas, kad tas kraujas (ne, ne "mergystės plėvės", o visų dar nesusiformavusių organų, vietoj kurių lieka tiesiog skylė) atneša nesužeidžiamumą.She speaks with women in Bangladesh (Rohingya refugees), Argentina, Guatemala, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Nigeria, and Rwanda. Here, Lamb interviews Yazidi women, Boko Haram survivors and families of the missing, women who survived mass rape in Bangladesh, survivors of the Rwanda genocide, survivors of the Rohingya genetic cleansing, survivors of rape camps in the Bosnian War, and many more. She does not glorify the details, but neither does she deny them or gloss over them. With incredible care and respect for both the dead and the survived, she tells their unvarnished stories, never once glossing over the emotional, psychological, or physical tolls these women have paid. Christina Lamb is a well-known journalist and author. She worked on I Am Malala and few other big-name projects. She has spent much of her professional life in war zones, reporting on crises and the like, and in this book she openly talks about her motivations for writing about this topic, as well as the emotional fatigue she dealt with while interviewing, researching, and writing. Both of these things prevented the narrative from every straying into the dusty, scholarly halls that some books of this nature wander down. Lamb’s personal interest, and the emotional toll it took, was clear throughout the book. Due to that, her narrative was personal, and it was probably that personal element that made it feel all the more jarring as I read.

Our Bodies, Their Battlefield by Christina Lamb | Waterstones Our Bodies, Their Battlefield by Christina Lamb | Waterstones

There have been a few trials. Sadly, this seldom happens – and the process to get it done can be very excruciating for the women as they have to tell over and over again the events that forever traumatized them. Through the window’s bars, I can see down below, row upon row of white prefab containers surrounded by wire concertina fence, and beyond that the Aegean Sea, jarring in its deep blue perfection. Christina Lamb has done the impossible — and written women into history. This book, Our Bodies, Their Battlefields is an extraordinary achievement of in depth journalism, powerful storytelling, grit and heart. A wake up call to the magnitude and horror of rape of women throughout history and the world. If you read one book this year, read this. Astounding." There were others too: even those of us who have spent years working in South Asia don’t know much about the calculated campaign by the Pakistan military to rape thousands of women of all ages in the 1971 Bangladesh Liberation War. And for all the focus on the Vietnam War, “multiple rapes hardly got a line in any reporting”.The camp where these Yazidis are living is more than a thousand miles from their homeland under the tall sacred mountain between Iraq and Syria on which they believe Noah’s Ark came to rest. Quando ho finito di leggere questo libro il mio primo impulso è stato quello di metterlo da parte e di cercare di dimenticare quello che avevo letto. Non volevo neanche parlarne perchè è stata una lettura troppo dolorosa, troppo cruda. Poi ho pensato a Christina Lamb che ha ascoltato e raccolto queste testimonianze, ma sopratutto ho pensato al coraggio delle donne che hanno raccontato le loro storie, ho pensato alla loro resilienza, alla loro forza. Se loro sono riuscite a raccontare, allora io posso e devo spendere almeno qualche parola per celebrare il loro coraggio. Our bodies Their battle fields للكاتبة والصحافية كريستينا لامب كشفت كيف استباح الرجال أثناء الحرب أجساد النساء ليس بدافع الحب بل بدافع استعراض القوة، فالاغتصاب كان سلاح أساسي لا يقل أهمية عن الكلاشينكوف.

Our Bodies, Their Battlefield: What War Does to [PDF] [EPUB] Our Bodies, Their Battlefield: What War Does to

The island had once been central to Mussolini’s plans to create a second Roman Empire. Leros, along with all the Dodecanese, had been seized from the Ottoman Turks in 1912, becoming part of an Italian colonial empire that included Libya, Somalia, and Eritrea. When Mussolini took power in the 1920s, he decided its deep natural harbor made the ideal naval base from which to establish control over the entire eastern Mediterranean. So he sent in naval forces and administrators, as well as architects, to plan a modern city in the fascist style the Italians call razionalismo. As a junior researcher on a TV documentary in Uganda in 1986, I was told to ask a question that was the dark cliche of war reporting: “Anyone here been raped and speak English?” To my horror, a teenage girl stepped shyly forward, eyes cast downwards. Since then, I have come across hundreds of women raped in wars around the world – and I have found kinder ways of establishing if they want to tell their story. Superb... perhaps the most important work of nonfiction about rape since Susan Brown Miller's Against Our Will (1975). A searing, absolutely necessary expose of the uses of rape in recent wars and of global injustices to the survivors." Pati kraupiausia ir labiausiai sukrėtusi knyga, kurią skaičiau. Tai ne siaubo romanas, ne grožinis kūrinys. Tai tikri įvykiai, kurie vyksta mūsų Žemėje ir padaryti mūsų, žmonių. Tiesiog, neįmanoma ramiai skaityti protu nesuvokiamus dalykus, kai pažiūrėjus pro langą - karšta vasara, gali stebėti vienas kitą vaikančius paukščius, kai guli po medžiu, besisupdama hamake, įsikandus smilgą, tačiau atvertus knygą, iš jos veržiasi siaubas ir baimė. Lamb has done an astounding job in writing this book. Her sensitivity towards the survivors and her documentation of rape as a war weapon has been nothing short of marvellous. I was honestly expecting a tone of condescension and superiority and even pity, but the language betrayed none of these emotions. Lamb has neither exalted the women nor pitied them - she has rightly expressed the women’s anger at being violated. I can only imagine the toll it must take on someone’s mental health to be exposed to such horrors day in and day out.After all this we find we are still not free,” she said. She held out her left wrist. Raised red scars crisscross the pale skin like angry worms. “I tried to kill myself with a knife.” She shrugged. The last time had been just two weeks earlier. Why do you think that you have witnessed more brutality against women in recent years compared to the rest of your career?

Our Bodies, Their Battlefield: What War Does to Women Our Bodies, Their Battlefield: What War Does to Women

Our Bodies, Their Battlefields spans several different countries and instances where rape has been used as a weapon of war and conflict, whether it’s in the case of Yazidi women imprisoned by ISIS, or the Chibok schoolgirls abducted by Boko Haram in Northern Nigeria, or the Rohingya women fleeing genocide in Myanmar. With each of these cases, Lamb interviews survivors of atrocities, dedicating space to their harrowing individual stories in their own voices. She speaks to doctors, experts, lawyers and ordinary people, all pursuing justice for crimes that have for too long and too often gone unpunished. TIME spoke to Lamb about her experience of foreign reporting, survivors’ pursuit of justice, and what gives her faith in humanity. TIME: Histories and contemporary reporting on conflict is usually dominated by white men. What gets lost when we only have one set of voices telling these stories? Lamb writes about her discomfort at seeing statues of military heroes in stations and town squares and the names of those who fought in battle in history books. Yet those who have suffered most have done so in silence – unmentioned, glossed over and ignored. I read a lot of different stuff when I’m cooking plot points for the books I’m writing. This was one that flew across my radar a few weeks ago, and as soon as I saw it, I knew it was a book I absolutely had to read. I also knew it would be brutal, and difficult to get through, and I was not wrong. This might be one of the most important books I have ever read, but it is also one of the most harrowing, and one of the only books I’ve had to put down and walk away from before I could continue reading it. Rape, writes Christina Lamb at the start of this deeply traumatic and important book, is “the cheapest weapon known to man”. It is also one of the oldest, with the Book of Deuteronomy giving its blessing to soldiers who find “a beautiful woman” among the captives taken in battle. If “you desire to take her”, it says, “you may”.And I am ashamed to admit that I identified one area of complete ignorance. Before I started reading this book, I knew about crimes of ISIS and Boko Haram, I had a lot of information about wars in Yugoslavia and Rwanda and related international tribunals, I read books and watched documentaries about Rohingya crisis in Myanmar and Bangladesh, but I had zero knowledge about an ongoing war in Congo and about multiple victims of rape in this country. At times, Lamb worries that she is being intrusive, but she is also careful not to be credulous. An experienced journalist, she can tell when something doesn’t smell right – one Rohingya woman in a camp in Bangladesh has a long story that doesn’t add up. In the age of #MeToo, the impetus is to believe women and on the whole, she – quite rightly – does, while never losing her journalistic rigour. The litany of pain she recounts is all too believeable. I know because I have heard it too. Speaking to survivors first-hand, Lamb encounters the suffering and bravery of women in war and meets those fighting for justice. From Southeast Asia where ‘comfort women’ were enslaved by the Japanese during World War Two to the Rwandan genocide, when an estimated quarter of a million women were raped, to the Yazidi women and children of today who witnessed the mass murder of their families before being enslaved by ISIS. Along the way Lamb uncovers incredible stories of heroism and resistance, including the Bosnian women who have hunted down more than a hundred war criminals, the Aleppo beekeeper rescuing Yazidis and the Congolese doctor who has risked his life to treat more rape victims than anyone else on earth.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment