276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Toy Fights: A Boyhood - 'A classic of its kind' William Boyd

£8.495£16.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

MyHome.ie (Opens in new window) • Top 1000 • The Gloss (Opens in new window) • Recruit Ireland (Opens in new window) • Irish Times Training (Opens in new window) Our Yorkshire Farm's Amanda Owen 'is using her son Reuben's popularity to bolster her brand as she relaunches TV career after secret affair was exposed' Viewers say graphic violence on post-watershed TV is now the 'norm'... but portrayal of sex has become fairer to women

Toy Fights by Don Paterson review: ditching God for music in Toy Fights by Don Paterson review: ditching God for music in

Savannah Guthrie, 51, reveals fears about flaunting her legs in revealing Taylor Swift costume for Today's Halloween showBanged Up review: This prison 'experiment' is just a shabby excuse to torment celebs, writes CHRISTOPHER STEVENS

Toy Fights: A Boyhood by Don Paterson – The Irish Times

Olivia Rodrigo is dating British actor Louis Partridge after meeting 'through mutual friends' and hitting it off after a number of nights out in London The Crown will portray Princess Diana as pregnant and will showMohamed Al-Fayed claiming she and Dodi were killed as part of an 'establishment plot', source claims There have already been lazy comparisons to Douglas Stuart’s heartbreaking novel Shuggie Bain, but while a poet as gifted as Paterson is at least as lyrical as Stuart, Toy Fights is not about familial violence, nor the kind of widespread brutality found in 1980s Glasgow. Family, the working class, money, swearing, love, schizophrenia, football, sugar, narcissists, origami – “this book is about a lot of things”, Paterson reflects, “but is notably music-obsessed”. It began as a circling, self-feeding fear, a fear of fear, a fear of fear of fear, that accelerated like the flywheel in a gyroscope, tightened on me as its epicentre, then made a kind of whirring lift-off: the sudden disappearance of the mouth and tongue, a terrible lightness underfoot, a weird bounce in the heels, and a tight band vicing one’s forehead. And then a view of yourself from above and from one side, and a feeling that you were choking and about to die; and then the mortified calm horror of complete perfect depersonalisation.” Abbey Clancy, 37, enjoys a family day out to Thorpe Park with rarely seen lookalike sister Elle, 26The View host Sara Haines reveals the touching note Matthew Perry wrote to her brother to support him through his own alcoholism struggles Inside Charles and Camilla's state dinner: King and Queen enjoyed lobster ravoli andsalmon as part of eight-course feast in Nairobi

Toy Fights: A Boyhood by Don Paterson review – God, brawls

None of this should detract from how frequently very funny Toy Fights is. The book is beautifully crafted. To say it has a poet’s touch suggests a style that is lyrical or even glutinous, but really the language is precise, balanced and every other sentence has me wondering “How did he do that?” It’s full of set pieces, like Paterson’s description of sleeping in nylon pyjamas between nylon sheets, where “if I turned over suddenly in the night I got tased,” and “in the morning my hair was like Eraserhead, and I had learned to automatically put a foot on the floor to earth myself before I turned the lamp on”. Don Paterson, 59, is one of our most outstanding poets, a winner of the Whitbread poetry prize, the Costa poetry award, all three Forward prizes, the TS Eliot prize (twice), and the Queen’s gold medal for poetry. He is about to publish Toy Fights, a memoir of his life up to the age of 20. The book should carry a warning: anyone wanting a quiet book should read elsewhere – it will make you laugh aloud. It describes growing up on a Dundee council estate, an unruly school life and the beginnings of his obsession with music (Paterson was later a guitarist with the Celtic-influenced, Euro-jazz band Lammas). His gloriously gnarled humour never upstages seriousness, particularly in his account of a psychiatric breakdown as an adolescent, recalled with unself-pitying precision. Friends creator Marta Kauffman reveals she spoke to Matthew Perry just TWO WEEKS before his death - saying actor was 'in a good place' However even during the poverty and mentally ill episodes , he writes so precisely, affectionately, scabrously, funnily. Paterson says, “It won’t surprise you to hear that I won’t be spontaneously drawn on the subject.” But we hardly need him to be: in Toy Fights, he rails against Edinburgh University’s decision to remove David Hume’s name from a building “for his crime of espousing racist views that were, miserably, as common as breathing out in the 18th century”. Paterson is particularly disgusted that no amount of previous good work can overturn such modern judgments: “Genuine exchange with a student: ‘Do you know who David Hume was?’ ‘I don’t care.’”The young Don becomes obsessed with origami (a brilliant and wholly surprising passage), God, The Osmonds, the Boys’ Brigade and, of course, sex and girls. He was born in 1963, a harsh time in Scotland. His mother was obsessed with the tenor Mario Lanza and was desperately upset when he died early — of over-eating, as it happens. Much of the book is put beautifully. For a poet, it’s more a book that’s obviously careful and aware of its language rather than something I’d describe as poetic or particularly lyrical. Actually, it frequently makes a concerted effort *not* to be these things (and when he borrows from his own poetry, he makes the quotes explicit)

Toy Fights: A Boyhood by Don Paterson | Goodreads

REVEALED: The 'super comfortable' power leggings from Sweaty Betty that gym goers can't get enough ofbut the presenter brushes off the drama and dons a sexy Storm costume as she joins Paloma Faith and Jourdan Dunn at star-studded Halloween bash Heidi Klum tantalisingly reveals just PART of her Halloween look after weeks of speculation... so what WILL the queen of the costumes dress as? It was very hard. I had studiedly avoided thinking about it for so many years. It would have been better – healthier – to look at it earlier, but given my task was to write up to the age of 20 it was hardly an episode I could avoid because it was formative. I thought: well, finally, this is where you have to turn and face it. You write: “My state in repose is bored, slightly afraid, agitated, and for some reason really dehydrated.” What’s with the dehydration?

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment