276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Other (New York Review Books Classics)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The gist of it is Suzi is beautiful, pregnant and married to a very jealous and controlling husband who sets the perimeters with cameras and spyware. She thinks she is smooth hiding a lot of secrets from him, but he knows her every secret. Does he know the baby may be someone else's? Their relationship is unhealthy and deceptive on both ends. The triggers are there for psychological abuse. Solomon, Aubrey. Twentieth Century Fox: A Corporate and Financial History (The Scarecrow Filmmakers Series). Lanham, Maryland: Scarecrow Press, 1989. ISBN 978-0-8108-4244-1. p256 In 1972, a popular psychological horror novel called "The Other" was adapted into a Hollywood movie.

The Other Passenger by Louise Candlish | Goodreads

The fact that I predicted all the twists in this book didn’t massively affect my enjoyment of the story and it was still a fast paced thriller that was hard to put down! Although slightly predictable, the twists were still done really well and suspense in this book was amazing, every scene felt so intense especially towards the end of the book. As I was halfway done, I was thinking that I wanted to put it down, yet the challenge was weighing heavily on me. I have to catch up, I have to catch up. But, this time, when Jamie disembarks at the London Eye, for his job at a cafe making coffee, he is met by police who want to question him about an argument he had on the riverboat, last Friday night. A bit about me: I live in a South London neighbourhood not unlike the one in my books, with my husband, teenage daughter, and a fox-red Labrador called Bertie who is the apple of my eye. Books, TV and long walks are my passions - oh, and drinking wine in the sun with family and friends. My favourite authors include Tom Wolfe, Patricia Highsmith, Barbara Vine and Agatha Christie. This first novel from Thomas Tryon is a distinguished one, it may well leave you blenched with horror, but it is beautifully, even poetically, wrought, and within its boundaries there would seem an actual divination into the spirit of murderess insanity….In due time The Other will doubtless become one of the classics of horror tales, comparable to The Turn of the Screw.”El final, al principio pensé... se veía venir pero y ese giro del final...?? pues eso no lo vi venir y por eso le subo 0.5 más, una pena, esperaba más. I found the characters unlikable and found myself wanting to skip through chapters and wanting to just find out how it ended. I did like the multiple points of view and how they twisted together, and predicted some twists, but not all. Los personajes están perfectamente retratados y casi puedes sentir lo mismo que ellos, sus calamidades, sus penas y sus desgracias. Todo ello aderezado con una prosa en ocasiones casi poética y con un final que me ha dejado absolutamente impactada. Hay una escena que jamás olvidaré. Y sólo por eso, por todo lo que me ha hecho sentir, se lleva, sin ninguna duda, las cinco estrellas. It was Noel Coward’s partner, Gertrude Lawrence, who encouraged Tom to try acting. He made his Broadway debut in 1952 in the chorus of the musical Wish You Were Here. He also worked in television at the time, but as a production assistant. In 1955, he moved to California to try his hand at the movies, and the next year made his film debut in The Scarlet Hour (1956). Tom was cast in the title role of the Disney TV series Texas John Slaughter (1958) that made him something of a household name. He appeared in several horror and science fiction films: I Married a Monster from Outer Space (1958) and Moon Pilot (1962) and in westerns: Three Violent People (1956) and Winchester '73 (1967). He was part of the all-star cast in The Longest Day (1962), a film of the World War II generation, credited with saving 20th Century Fox Studios, after the disaster of Cleopatra. He considered his best role to be in In Harm's Way (1965), which is also regarded as one of the better films about World War II.

The Other” is a forgotten classic of American Why 1972’s “The Other” is a forgotten classic of American

Allí viven los gemelos Niles y Holland Perry con su madre, Alexandra Perry, su abuela rusa; Ada (una señora con la que se traen su famoso "juego", rodeada de misterio y supersticiones), los sirvientes Winnie y el señor Angelini, y otros parientes de los alrededores que con bastante frecuencia van de visita. Although Karen Cass did a superb job with the narration, the book would have benefited from multiple narrators since it unfolded from multiple POVs. The book had a good plot and several twists to it. I just really didn't connect with the characters. Tom Tryon, however, was disappointed with the film, despite having written the screenplay. When asked about the film in a 1977 interview, Tryon recalled "Oh, no. That broke my heart. Jesus. That was very sad...That picture was ruined in the cutting and the casting. The boys were good; Uta was good; the other parts, I think, were carelessly cast in some instances--not all, but in some instances. And, God knows, it was badly cut and faultily directed. Perhaps the whole thing was the rotten screenplay, I don't know. But I think it was a good screenplay."The Other unravels over the summer of 1935 on a farm in the fictional New England community of Pequot Landing. Told from the perspective of two identical twin boys, Niles and Holland Perry, the story centers on a strange, supernatural power bestowed to the twins by their mystical Russian grandmother. The power, called “the game,” is a form of astral projection that allows the boys to view events through the eyes of individuals around them. But, as our narrator relates these events, we are uncertain if all is as we have presumed it to be, if we can even trust the storyteller, but worse still, we are held helplessly spellbound as we imagine what emotional punch will be served up next and by whom-

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment