276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Before Your Memory Fades (Before the Coffee Gets Cold, 3)

£6.495£12.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

It felt good reading Kawaguchi’s tales and meeting the characters again. Yukari was a very intriguing character and I would love to know more about her. Same with the old gentleman ghost. I guess I have to wait for the next book. I also loved the characters’ discussions about a book called “What If the World Were Ending Tomorrow: One Hundred Questions.”. I enjoyed the lovely atmosphere in Café Donna Donna. It felt new but familiar at the same time. The writing is beautiful and straight-forward. But I could do without the rules being mentioned repeatedly. Themes such as death and grief play a huge part in the stories but also hope and love. Before Your Memory Fades is a heart-warming and poignant book. You can read this book as a stand-alone but I highly recommend reading the previous books first. The plot was fragmented into 4 episodic tales with each reflected the same slice-of-life theme like the previous instalments; an affecting journey on resentment, loneliness, loss love, grief and late confession. Bit glimpse at the beginning on Kei transporting to the future to meet Miki in Café Funiculi Funicula; a narrative that was brought forward from the last story in Book 1 before Kei passed away. All 4 stories appeared to share a very similar heartrending nuance to me yet I love how each was so pleasantly written. Perhaps because one of the regulars in this café was Saki the psychiatrist, the plot highlighted bits on psychological concerns as well; of depression and trauma, suicidal ideation, hallucinations, anxiety issues and mental breakdown. The Daughter", the first story was my favourite ( 5 stars), an interesting twist to how that photo was taken!

Before Memory Fades An Autobiography - Archive.org Before Memory Fades An Autobiography - Archive.org

Before Memory Fades by Fali S. Nariman is a revelatory, comprehensive and perceptive autobiography - candid, compelling and authoritative. We are introduced to new customers and their stories. We have a young woman who resents her deceased parents for leaving her alone, a famous comedian who wants to share his recent achievement with her dead wife, a young woman who is still grieving her sister’s death, and a young man who wants to confess his love to his childhood friend.The first two books takes place in Café Funiculi Funicula in Tokyo, whereas in this book, the stories are in Café Donna Donna on the hillside of mount Hakodate. We meet some characters we already know, Nagare and Kazu, along with Kazu's seven year old daughter Sachi. Nagare's mother, Yukari, who owns the café is travelling, so the the café is run by Nagare and Kazu in her absence. The rules of the café are the same, 1) nothing can change the past or the present, 2) customers need to drink the coffee before it gets cold, and it's only possible to use the time-travelling chair when it's occupant - here an elderly ghost gentleman - leaves his seat. Even though I liked this book the least out of the three I have read so far, it made me feel emotional and I enjoyed it :) Loved the concept of those coffee cafés being like some kind of a portal between layers of time. I was surprised that Tokyo's cafe isn't the only one with a time travel possibility. Besides those ones existing in Japan, I thought at first that such a cafe is there somewhere in America as well... But it seems like nope. Such a thought had crossed my mind because of Yukari going to America in search of a young guy's missing father. The other thing I didn't see coming was a fact that Yukari Tokita is happened to be the author of a One Hundred Questions book. And maybe she is more than just a writer... There must be more to how this possibility for "us" to travel in time was being born. I love the themes in these books. It shows value of family, friendship and life. And I find it beautiful to explore those themes. Most of the stories were quite heartwarming and touching.

Before Your Memory Fades (Before the Coffee Gets Cold Book 3)

There were some repititivness in the story, and I would've liked to dive a bit deeper into some of the characters' emotions. And I really wanted to hear more about the ghost's story - I hope it comes in the fourth installment, which I've just found out has been released but not translated to english. I would say that this series is a great starting point if you want to start reading Japanese literature. It is both beautiful and easy to read, has amazing prose and sentence structure whilst still being simple to comprehend. It is a beautiful book, and an even more beautiful series, which I thoroughly enjoyed and I am sad I have to let it go, at least for now. People’s true feelings are not in plain sight. The other person might not be thinking anything, but there is a tendency to just assume what the other is feeling without reaching out and asking.” From the author of Before the Coffee Gets Cold and Tales from the Cafe comes another story of four new customers, each of whom is hoping to take advantage of the cafe's time-travelling offer. Among some familiar faces from Toshikazu Kawaguchi’s previous novels, readers will also be introduced to: It was great to learn more about travelling in time I mean those cafés being not just in Tokyo, and what it means to live an everyday life that is wisdom and magic!From the author of Before the Coffee Gets Cold and Tales from the Cafe comes another heartfelt story of lost souls hoping to take advantage of the cafe's time-travelling offer. Among some familiar faces, readers will also be introduced to: I'm glad I met new people in here and hope to learn more about them in the next book, can't wait for yet another installment coming up! :)

Before Your Memory Fades Quotes by Toshikazu Kawaguchi

The wonderful experience of a heartwarming book, in my case it was one story at a time, I didn't want to mix them up. Still in love with Kazu’s personality and what a twist to know that she has a daughter now who inherited her magical touch of serving the cup of coffee. I don’t fancy Reiji’s character that much but the last story of him and Nanako really gets my heart broken a bit. Light and delightful ways of writing despite how the author still having that same writing habit like before; to repetitively info dumping stuff he already mentioned in each story. Bit hopeful too for the old gentleman ghost as I thought one of the story would be about him but none yet; was wondering as well whether he was the same ghost from Café Funiculi Funicula or a different one(?) but I guess I need to wait the translated Book 4 to read his closure, maybe? These two quotes reaffirmed my thinking that our heart is the eyes of the soul, and if we truly want to know the person, we should never disregard this ability of another way to see. On the hillside of Mount Hakodate in northern Japan, Cafe Donna Donna is fabled for its dazzling views of Hakodate port. But that’s not all. Like the charming Tokyo cafe Funiculi Funicula, Cafe Donna Donna offers its customers the extraordinary experience of travelling through time. Customers have once again the oppurtunity to time-travel, both from the past two the future, and from the future to the past. As with the other two books, there are short stories where we meet characters who want to time-travel for various reasons. The writing is simple with it's magical realism element.The author has a way of talking about the human condition that I just found so enthralling. His beautiful yet simple prose offer a moral on life at each part of the book, in a poetic and breathtaking way. I absolutely love this man's writing and I am so excited for the 4th book ! Meet more wonderful characters in the next captivating novel in the Before the Coffee Gets Cold series, Before We Say Goodbye, releasing November 14, 2023! Meet more wonderful characters in the next captivating novel in the Before the Coffee Gets Cold series, Before We Say Goodbye, releasing November 14, 2023! From the author of Before the Coffee Gets Cold and Tales from the Cafe comes another story of four new customers, each of whom is hoping to take advantage of the cafe's time-travelling offer. Among some familiar faces from Toshikazu Kawaguchi’s previous novels, readers will also be introduced to: Kawaguchi once again touches upon themes as love, loss, grief, and finding joy again after loss. The stories will definitely touch your heart. I liked the interactions between the characters, and their stories.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment