276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Little Darlings: The chilling, haunting and addictive best selling crime thriller debut everyone’s talking about

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Heavner isn’t exactly mollified when Tempe, aided by retired police detective Skinny Slidell and a host of experts, puts a name to the dead man.

The benefit of Harper's perspective allows us to see things from the outside view, in which Lauren's claims do sound rather far-fetched at times and it becomes difficult to determine fact from fiction. Welcome to my blog about reading, recipes, writing, and whatever else happens to pop up while I have your rapt attention. I really enjoyed the family relationships between Destiny and her mum, Sunset and her siblings, and the school drama for Destiny and the talent show. I remember that once when I was about six or seven or so, I found a very old-looking book through my aunt's things.

A new mother in England's Peak District faces a dire threat to her children from someone only she can see. Little Darlings is at its strongest when hovering somewhere between a portrait of postpartum depression and a dark, sinister fairy tale.

But the hints of other crimes Tempe’s identification uncovers, particularly crimes against children, spur her on to redouble her efforts despite the new M. Joe Hartlaub of Book Reporter described it as "an excruciatingly frightening but nonetheless irresistible tale". The two main protagonists’ personalities really shone through, and all is not what it seems with Harper.Quite a few of the chapters open with a selection of these tales to really help this theme cement in your mind and show just how creepy they are. Both women have extremely different roles in this book, but Golding crafts them each in a way that gives them a distinct personality and a steady, realistic motivation for acting in the ways that they do. A week after the night she chases but fails to catch a mysterious trespasser outside her town house, some unknown party texts Tempe four images of a corpse that looks as if it’s been chewed by wild hogs, because it has been.

The writing leans much heavier in the literary and folklore realm than a traditional thriller and the pacing is also a bit steadier than a fast-paced thriller. Summary: A carefully-crafted and uncannily clever tale about a new mother's irrational (or perhaps not so irrational) panic for the safety of her two children. At the same time, the novel explores the fierce and desperate love we have for our children, written with beautiful intensity. It seems she is meant to be taken as a sympathetic and plucky detective, willing to see past the beauracracy of the police department and go the extra mile to track down criminals. The epigraphs from Yeats, Grimm’s fairy tales (which are, in truth, quite grim), and other folklore and mythology found throughout the novel only fanned the flames of my nerd-dom.

Harper jumps to quick assumptions, makes impulse decisions, and is clearly willing to believe what seems plausible to no one else. I thought it would be a bit hard understanding standing this book because it kept swapping characters each chapter and I might get a bit confused! I think it's a bit misleading that it has found its way to the mystery/thriller section when it is mostly a contemporary with elements (or suggestions) of magical realism. It's sad to see how JW herself perpetuates stereotypical western beauty standards by defining 'fair' as more desirable, a theme which sadly runs often in her books. She’s an only child with a sickly but devoted mum who constantly tells her she’s the daughter of a famous Rockstar.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment