276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Pro-Ject T1 Phono SB Turntable with Electronic Speed Change and built-in Phono Preamp (Walnut)

£124.995£249.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

One nice feature that the Pro-Ject T1 has that sets it apart from the competition is the glass platter. The platter is extremely well-made with a nice frosted finish on one side and a glossy finish on the other side. In the box is a felt turntable mat. If, for example, you have an amplifier or receiver that has no PHONO input, or you don’t have an external phono preamp, you’ll need to buy the ProJect T1BT or ProJect T1 Phono SB.

Listening to the Pro-Ject T1, sound quality was completely adequate but failed to capture the magic of recordings.

Recommended Products

So, on the T1 Phono SB, the front of the turntable features a switch that allows you to easily toggle between 33 1/3 RPM and 45 RPM speeds. How to Set Up the Pro-Ject T1: TheT1 Phono SBfeatures a built-in speed control for automatic switching between 33 and 45 RPM, and a switchable Moving Magnet phono stage, so you can connect directly to a LINE level input or still make use of an external phono stage.

I started Pro-Ject to bring as many people as possible to the world of hobby hi-fi, especially in the 1980s when CD players were extremely expensive and generally inaccessible,” said Heinz Lichtenegger, the founder of Pro-Ject Audio. “At this time, I realized that a good turntable could sound even better than a CD. However, there were no quality turntables available that were low cost. So, in 1991 I decided I had to make one.” Nearly 30 years later, the company is still known for audiophile-grade turntables at affordable prices. The answer is two fold. The first is that the T1 has some specification and performance refinements that I don’t remember seeing from Pro-Ject at this price before, which should broaden its appeal beyond some of the more stripped down offerings at the price. For every person that enthuses over some hair shirt minimalism, there are plenty that don’t.

The Options

TheT1 BTfeatures a switchable Moving Magnet phono stage with Bluetooth transmission so you can output at Line level, Phono or wirelessly via Bluetooth. If you can get past that hurdle, then the next determining factor should be your upgrade options, and whether that’s important to you. I’m going to list some of the notable features on the T1 here, and then below that, I’ll go into depth about why some of these features are so important. Okay, before we go further in this review, I’d like to briefly take some time to show you everything you need to know in terms of the Pro-Ject T1 setup. Think of this as a mini tutorial. But there’s one company that’s been making turntables for decades, and with one of their latest product offerings, might just have found a perfect way to give consumers an audiophile experience on an affordable budget.

So, while there is some semblance of upgradability with the T1 line, it’s still considered to be relatively entry level as far as turntables go, which is why you cannot adjust additional things like tonearm height or the anti-skate setting. Conclusion Like a well-designed watch, looks are important when buying a record player. An attractive turntable can liven up a room, and that's precisely what Pro-Ject Audio's T1 BT does. After entering my apartment for the first time in more than a year, my friend's first words were “Wow, that looks pretty.” But the model he was admiring is a redesigned version of the T1 BT from Houseplant, a new company from actor and comedian Seth Rogen and his creative partner Evan Goldberg that sells cannabis and cannabis lifestyle accessories. The other changes are harder to spot but no less significant. Unlike every Pro-Ject turntable we’ve looked at before, the T1 has a platter and sub platter assembly. This means that the belt acts on the sub platter rather than the platter itself. This means that the motor can also be moved closer to the spindle which - in theory anyway - should help control unwanted oscillation. On a much more practical note, it means that fitting the belt on the T1 compared to the outer edge models is a complete and utter joy. Unlike many other turntables around this price, the Pro-Ject T1 Phono SB has all the elements of a proper hi-fi turntable - just at a lower price. Rather than plastic, the CNC machined plinth is made from MDF. This gives lower resonance for reduced distortion. Mounted to the plinth is a steel/brass bearing that’s the same as the award-winning Essential III and, combined with the new heavy glass platter, provides smooth and stable running for perfect pitch. The T1 Line is one of Pro-Ject’s new lines of mid-range turntables. It is priced between the Essential and Primary lines, so it’s still relatively affordable. Still, one of the biggest reasons you’d buy a T1 Line over something else is its visuals: It has a striking platter made of tempered glass. It only comes in three models. There’s the baseline T1, which requires an external phono stage and a powered amplifier; the T1 Phono SB (above), which has a built-in phono stage; and the T1 BT, which also has a Bluetooth transmitter for connection to a powered speaker or AV receiver.There is no speed selection on the T1, so switching from 33 ⅓ rpm to 45 RPM will require removing the platter and moving the belt to the appropriate pulley on the motor. This is a bit cumbersome, especially when lower-priced turntables like the Fluance RT81 include a speed selection/power knob. Compared to the base T1-model, the Phono SB version includes a built-in, Pro-Ject designed, high-quality phono MM stage and an electronic speed switch between 33 and 45 RPM. For the drive system, where most alternative products may use unregulated DC motors with wide speed fluctuations, the T1 Phono SB features our proven system of an electronically regulated, precision-speed AC motor. The perfect balance of sound quality and ease-of-use, the Project T1 Phono SB features electronic speed control for added versatility.

Sparser arrangements are also beneficial, however, because this isn’t the most spacious of soundstages and can sometimes be cluttered by a throng of instruments. Detail can be lost, and the presentation somewhat muddied. The tempered glass platter is not only a good solution to a resonance-free heavy platter," Heinz Lichtenegger says. "But it's also is more visually attractive than, for instance, the minimalistic designed MDF platter used on the Primary Line." One thing we will say about the T1: it's not possible to adjust the tonearm's anti-skate settings, since they're factory-fixed. It's not a major catastrophe – we trust With its standard Bluetooth output, the T1 BT opens up a whole range of new connection possibilities. Perfect for connecting to a Bluetooth speaker or a Bluetooth enabled hi-fi system, the wireless connection lets you place the turntable much further away from the system than would otherwise be possible. Plus, it’s clutter-free!

Purposefully designed to be anti-resonant

The T1 record player boasts premium materials, stylish aesthetics, a rich, lively sound and an accessible price. It can also be accommodated into almost any environment thanks to its multiple finish options and three output versions. The T1 Phono SB is finished with a built-in phono stage and integrated speed control button for convenience in set-up and use. The standardT1is finished with properly shielded, semisymmetrical, low-capacitance phono cables, designed by Pro-Ject, fixed to the turntable underneath the tonearm. It has a standard phono output, for connecting to a phono stage. One of the first things most vinyl fans want to know, especially those that are new to the hobby, is what’s the best turntable available for a reasonable amount of money. While I wasn’t completely sure what to expect from the T1 once I had it up and running, I was fairly confident that it would be good. The Essential III is an absolutely brilliant turntable and even the cost effective Primary is a compelling listen. Even with this taken into account, the T1 was still able to spring some wholly pleasant surprises.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment