276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Move Like Water: A Story of the Sea and Its Creatures

£8.495£16.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

In the song Changes it actually talks about how some days we want to push further and some days we feel like doing nothing. And that often comes with a mood and an attitude towards life. Sometimes when life throws you things you can’t control and naturally your attitude is to be upset or to be disappointed or discouraged. But when you fight through those feelings that are just feelings in the end of the day you choose to put your effort into your work or into your passion and find that drive .. Life is worth living. And if you’re not going to give up the only thing to do is push forward. As humans, we are part of the natural world, a stitch in the rich tapestry that is global biodiversity. Yet so often, and at an increasing rate that couples with biodiversity loss, we see ourselves as something separate from nature. The pace of our lives has increased beyond sustainability, and the impact of our existence is out of balance. Exploring our connection with the natural world has never been more vital, especially in the UK, which now stands as one of the most nature-depleted countries in the world. Plans to restore nature are weighed on cost, both financial and the perceived inconvenience to human life. But a healthy healthy human life requires a healthy natural world. Jung, Hee-yeon (April 5, 2021). 레드벨벳 웬디, 오늘 솔로 데뷔[Red Velvet's Wendy Solo Debut Today]. Sports Dong-A (in Korean). Archived from the original on April 11, 2021 . Retrieved April 11, 2021. Granta Books is thrilled to have acquired on proposal Hannah Stowe’s Move Like Water, a beguiling and beautiful work of non-fiction about our human relationship with the sea and the creatures who inhabit it. Born beneath the sweep of a lighthouse beacon on the Pembrokeshire coast, Stowe is a marine biologist, sailor and artist and this book draws on her research at sea as well as her experience of sailing through some of the planet’s most varied waters. The book is underpinned by a powerful environmental message, but Stowe’s argument is made through the stories she tells – about swimming with her mother as a child, about listening to whale song, about being at sea at night – all of which encourage readers to fall in love with the seas as she has, to appreciate their majesty and their vulnerability. Let Hannah’s captivating prose transport you on a journey across the waves, feeling the wind and salt on your skin, and always watching out for the tantalising glimpse of a whale. You will be enthralled by her personal story, invigorated by her energy and determination, and persuaded to think deeply about the ocean, its living treasures and the human troubles they face.

The first ocean going vessel discussed is the Valiant 40, a research vessel Stowe volunteered to assist on led by Professor Hal Whitehead, a global expert on cetaceans – whales, dolphins, porpoises. Meeting his then doctoral student Laura Feyrer inspired her career direction. Now we see the author as a strong feminist voice rising above male-dominated traditions when it comes to the sea who had to “work twice as hard for half the opportunity. You prove everything, and prove it ten times again.” Loved the irony when Stowe points out boats are named after women! Carl Safina’s newest book, “Alfie and Me: What Owls Know, What Humans Believe,” will be published in October.Stowe’s story highlights the growing body of research and a movement called Ecopsychology, which provides scientific evidence on the connections between our physical and mental health. Transporting us to how she’s felt and what she’s learned over her twenty-something years “being out there in the elements” that “creates an entirely different state of mind.” This poem by my favorite poet Pablo Neruda came to to mind often while reading this book and I want to add it to my review and dedicate it to the author, Hannah Stowe. He was an actor, fighter, teacher, father, and philosopher. Among many of his teachings what stand out is the quote, “be like water, my friend.” From martial artists students to people in all the way of life want to incorporate Bruce lee’s teaching to lead a more productive, balanced, and successful life. That said, I did find this book informative and interesting, and Stowe's love for the ocean shines. In that way, this book is highly successful. I walked away from it with a greater admiration for the ocean than I had going in.

One still night of freezing fog and nauseous exhaustion, she has a surprise meeting. It was her turn at watch, to remain awake monitoring the radar for looming icebergs. Sensing “a deep marine presence in the night,” she sees a dark shape rising from the sea. “Something lumpy, a soft glisten of water on an almost gelatinous form. Almost as if it took offense at my curiosity, the animal sent a wet cloud of breath spraying into my face.”Dodson, P. Claire (April 9, 2021). "Doja Cat, SZA, Taylor Swift and More Best New Music". Teen Vogue. Archived from the original on April 9, 2021 . Retrieved April 11, 2021. Fourth, being Welsh often makes the author a gifted writer. My God, person for person, who has done more for English literature than the Welsh? The list includes: Dylan Thomas, Roald Dahl, Richard Llewellyn, R.S. Thomas, Kate Roberts, Philip Pullman, Owen Sheers, Killian Clarke, and Sarah Waters, among the many. For a country of just over 3 million, that list is astounding. This potentially boring or nerdy scientist shows influence from those writers with several great moments of prose which buttress her otherwise strong storyline. More expansively, the memoir makes the case for how our health is affected by the health of our waters, Stowe having witnessed the human impact of commercial exploitation and climate change on the health of the marine animals who depend on them. She, The Sea will draw on Stowe’s experience of being a female sailor in a mostly male world to explore the rich and largely unknown history of seafaring women. Told by the “careers officer” that the life she yearns for is impossible, she leaves school at 18 and takes a job on a boat providing wildlife tours of the local islands. But the work environment is toxic. When a doctor diagnoses a kidney infection — the result of dehydration brought on by 70-hour work weeks in the hot sun with few breaks — she’s told to show up or be fired.

The following books explore how nature can help us understand the human experiences of addiction, illness, loss, loneliness and allow us to find solace, sanctuary, connection and subtle wisdom in the wild. For Stowe, this meant “there was a current inside me” “as natural and as essential as the act of breathing.” Bae, Hyo-joo (March 28, 2021). ‘솔로 데뷔’ 레드벨벳 웬디, 사랑스럽고 포근하다‥티저 공개[Red Velvet Wendy's 'Solo Debut', Lovely and Cozy, Teaser Revealed]. Newsen (in Korean). Archived from the original on April 12, 2021 . Retrieved April 11, 2021. Associate publishing director Laura Barber acquired UK and commonwealth rights, excluding Canada, on proposal to She, The Sea from from Jessica Woollard at David Higham Associates. It will publish in spring 2026. Elegant, enthralling. . . . It’s not simply that it intertwines Stowe’s remarkable personal story with an incitement to shift how we view the world—or, in this instance, the seas. It’s the writing itself. There are plenty of books about the sea, but few, if any, have the lyrical, almost visceral intensity of this one.Gong, Mi-na (April 11, 2021). '인기가요' 웬디, 천상의 목소리로 성공적 솔로 데뷔[Wendy Made a Successful Solo Debut on 'Inkigayo' with Her Heavenly Voice]. StarNews (in Korean). Archived from the original on April 12, 2021 . Retrieved April 12, 2021. Streaming Chart[2021, Week 15 Streaming Chart] (in Korean). Gaon Music Chart. Archived from the original on April 15, 2021 . Retrieved April 15, 2021. The images she creates on paper became very emotional and vivid for me, and I found myself more than once almost feeling as if I was experiencing what she has and finding myself reflecting on my life, my purpose, my path, and how my faith guides me in these issues. a b Herman, Tamar (April 7, 2021). "K-pop singer Wendy of girl group Red Velvet releases debut solo mini album 'Like Water' with emphasis on healing". South China Morning Post. Archived from the original on April 7, 2021 . Retrieved April 12, 2021.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment