276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Garden of Lost and Found: The gripping tale of the power of family love

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

When Ned and Liddy’s great-granddaughter Juliet is sent the key to Nightingale House, she opens the door onto a forgotten world. The house holds its mysteries close but she is in search of answers. For who would choose to destroy what they love most? Whether Ned’s masterpiece – or, in Juliet’s case, her own children’s happiness. The Garden of Lost and Found shines light on the different issues different generations face, intertwined with historical fiction and art, handled in such a beautifully delicate way.

Engrossing and clever and funny and beautifully observed . . . I recommend it wholeheartedly' Clothes in Books blog Harriet Evans writes so beautifully that I was drawn into the world of Nightingale House. I could picture it so clearly in my mind whether it was the grand house that Ned and Liddy shared, the slightly decaying version that Juliet moves to or even the doll’s house version so loved by the children throughout the generations. She creates an image of a bygone golden era but shows also how it all came crashing down so suddenly, with the repercussions reverberating through the decades which followed. Harriet Evans is an accomplished romance writer, but she also writes chilling characters terrifyingly well from the evil childhood nurse, to the weak father and the selfish, manipulative husband. Humour also shines through with the recognisable tribes of primary school mothers and the sheer insanity of coping with small and strong minded children and troubled teens. I loved both timelines, rooting for both Liddy and Juliet as they dared to reach out for happiness despite the many obstacles in their way.The Victorian section did not fully explore the relationship of the family. The depiction of evil and the abuse of power displayed by both the nurse and the father was poorly followed through. When Ned and Liddy’s great-granddaughter Juliet is sent the key to Nightingale House, she opens the door onto a forgotten world. The house holds its mysteries close but she is in search of answers. Our childhood influences the adults we become. Childhood nightmares and curses follow a character down the years. Whether Ned’s masterpiece – or, in Juliet’s case, her own children’s happiness. Something shattered this corner of paradise. But what?Harriet Evans brings her readers home:‘Heart-stopping and wonderful’ Sophie Kinsella’Harriet Evans is my favourite author’ Goodreads’Secrets and lies in a gorgeous idyllic setting’ Prima’Reminiscent of Santa Montefiore with the emotional heart of Jojo Moyes.

We can see how much work and dedication that must have gone in to this book. This book has alot of sadness and the author expresses emotion well. We felt anger at how certain characters were treated and empathy for the sadness experienced by the characters. I liked that this book didn’t shy away from difficulty, it represented things you don’t often see in literature so commonly. I don’t want to go into them because I don’t want to include spoilers, but this certainly covers a wide range of real issues both in modern-day and in the early 1900s. descriptions of Nightingale House and the flowers in the garden were enjoyable. However other members thought that the author was over descriptive especially when it came to the flower and plants. This sweeping tale is by turns painfully sad and heart-lifting, with characters that stay with you' Good HousekeepingI've been totally absorbed by Harriet Evans's recent family sagas, especially The Butterfly Summer and The Wildflowers, so I found The Garden of Lost and Found to be a real disappointment, despite its beautiful cover. The novel switches between two intertwined timelines; in the present day, Juliet, working at an art dealer's, loses her job at the same time that her marriage falls apart. Unexpectedly inheriting her family's ancestral home, where the Edwardian painter Ned Horner produced his most famous work, offers her a lifeline - but what family secrets will she uncover? In the late nineteenth and early twentieth century, two sisters, Liddy and Mary, suffer in an oppressive household, until Liddy's marriage to the painter, Ned Horner, offers them a way out. But why will Ned ultimately burn his most significant painting, 'The Garden of Lost and Found'? Lose yourself in this unputdownable tale of the enduring power of family love, told by three generations of extraordinary women. . . Being a mother can be hard. I recognised myself in some of the contemporary breakfast scenes! – Trying to please all but ending up pleasing none. That said, this book is strong on character. I truly got a feeling of who the main characters in this book were, even if I couldn't relate to any of them. I'm always a fan of richly developed personalities in fiction, and in this regard the book did not disappoint.

When Ned and Liddy's great-granddaughter Juliet is sent the key to Nightingale House, she opens the door onto a forgotten world. The house holds its mysteries close, but she is in search of answers. For who would choose to destroy what they love most? Whether Ned's masterpiece - or, in Juliet's case, her own children's happiness.Nightingale House was the Horner family's beloved home - a gem of design created to inspire happiness - and it was here Ned painted The Garden of Lost and Found, capturing his children on a perfect day, playing in the rambling Eden he and Liddy made for them. Enjoyable lightweight easy read - family saga spanning more than a century and set around Nightingale house- which is almost a character in itself.' When a book alternates between time periods, it’s inevitable that one will hold the reader’s interest more than the other, and that’s certainly the case with The Garden of Lost and Found. Liddy and Ned’s love story feels like something out of a TV period drama. It’s full of hope, love and hardship, and their devotion for each other is infectious. When they suffered bereavements, I felt as bereft as the characters themselves. And that extends to Mary and Dalbeattie too, undoubtedly the unspoken heroes of this tale. Juliet’s modern day family drama isn’t quite as compelling as her ancestors’ struggle, which is so instinctively linked with the difficulties of the Victorian and Edwardian eras. The Garden of Lost and Found is a stunning read and one I can’t recommend highly enough. The stories of Juliet, Stella and Libby and the ties that bind them is beautifully told and identifiable. The attention to detail of Nightingale House and the important painting of The Garden of Lost and Found are brought to life and I felt if I closed my eyes I could see them both in all their glory. There is no doubt that Harriet Evans is a masterful story teller, her books are always a fantastic read, but for me this is her best book yet. A sublime and sensational read, so go out and grab yourself a copy, you won’t regret it. Nightingale House was the Horner family’s beloved home – a gem of design created to inspire happiness – and it was here Ned painted The Garden of Lost and Found, capturing his children on a perfect day, playing in the rambling Eden he and Liddy made for them.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment