276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Welcome to St Hell: My trans teen misadventure: a remarkable graphic memoir about being a trans teen

£6.495£12.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I selected this on a whim and so I went in with no expectations. I feel that it was very good. I like the parts where the adult author would converse with those around them who remember what they were like as a teen. Magical, Transcendental, Visibly Muslim, But Also Ordinary and Mundane”– Sabba Khan Talks About Her Graphic Memoir ‘The Roles We Play’/’What is Home, Mum?’ October 12, 2023 Thank goodness Lewis confided in his art teacher and was able to find the information he needed to recognise that there wasn't anything abnormal about how he felt, and that there were support options available for him. Waterstones has announced its 2023 Children’s Book Prize shortlists, including works by Angharad Walker and Lee Newbery. We Wanted this to Be a Fast-Paced, Funny Adventure”– Rob Williams and Pye Parr on ‘Petrol Head’, Their “Fast & the Robo-Furious” Sci-Fi Series from Image Comics September 22, 2023

This book sat on my side table for a while until it finally reached the top of my to-be-read pile. Then, once I got started reading I couldn't put it down. I read it cover to cover in one sitting. I have been privileged to be involved in one person's gender transition and I found this book reminiscent of our journey. It made me both laugh and cry.

We are heartbroken to think of teenage girls, whether lesbian or straight, having self-harm and body hatred promoted to them in the name of inclusion,” she added. Note: this could also be number 8 in Book Riot's challenge, "Read a graphic novel/comic/manga if you haven’t before; or read one that is a different genre than you normally read.". The support shown him by his parents and grandparents is very touching and affirming to witness. Overall the book has a cheery, optimistic tone. Hancox is very generous and empathetic as he details his friends and family's journeys to getting on board with his being trans.

Even if you don't plan to do the challenge, it's fun to look at their suggestions.... though I'm baffled by number 11. Why anyone would want or even think of reading a cookbook cover to cover is beyond me. This memoir set in a small British town is narrated by the author in comic book format as they relate what it was like to be white closeted trans man in the early 2000's.Recently shortlisted for the Waterstones Children’s Book Prize for 2023 Welcome to St. Hell is another important account of the lived experiences of trans people. Raw, witty and occasionally very tender, this is a graphic memoir that deserves all the positive recognition it has received.

I especially love seeing how open and accepting his grandparents were. They set a real example for young readers that the overused excuse of people being intolerant should not be shrugged off as just a 'generational' thing. Absolutely delightful. Sweet, romantic, kind. Beautifully paced. I loved this book." -- Rainbow Rowell, author of Carry On Though I don't do reading challenges (other than a number of books to read), I still like to look at them.A ground-breaking memoir about being a trans teen. Lewis has a few things to say to his younger teen self. He knows she hates her body. I follow Lewis on social media and was so excited that he was going to be sharing his story in the form of a graphic novel. Read the voices in my head exactly as they are in his skits haha.

This told the story of what life was like for Lewis (a trans guy) as he navigated his teenage years and his identity. Thank you to Scholastic for sending me a copy of 𝗪𝗘𝗟𝗖𝗢𝗠𝗘 𝗧𝗢 𝗦𝗧 𝗛𝗘𝗟𝗟 by Lewis Hancox - a fantastic graphic novel that is due for release on June 2nd 🏳️‍⚧️ As a trans person, I would give an arm and a leg to speak to my teenage self to set some insecurities aside. To tell myself that it gets harder as you get older but it also gets loads better. To reassure myself that the world won’t end if I make a mistake.I thought I wouldn't like the format of his current self narrating scenes from his earlier life. But it worked well, and helped in getting to know him. Some of the scenes (and his later observations about them) are hilarious, but it's always obvious that the conflict was emotionally debilitating. Flamer – Mike Curato’s Semi-Autobiographical Graphic Novel is a Powerful and Relevant Coming Out Story for Teens He knows she's confused about who to snog. He knows she's really a he and will ultimately realize this... But she's going to go through a whole lot of mess (some of it funny, some of it not funny at all) to get to that point. Kirja avaa hyvin Lewisin pohdintoja ja hämmennystä, mutta toisaalta antaa äänen myös hänen ympärillään olleille läheisille. Tämä on hyvä huomio, sillä muutos ja etsikkoaika ei koskenut vain Lewisia vaan myös ihmisiä hänen elämässään.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment