276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Lens

£114.995£229.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The only thing I noticed about the VR is that it takes a half-second or so to stabilize, so you have to be a bit patient before you press the shutter.

Nikon 55-300 DX and 70-300 What is the difference between the Nikon 55-300 DX and 70-300

The blue column represents readings from the centre of the picture frame at the various apertures and the green is from the edges. Although I have no problem with the lens being made in China and understand that it is cheaper for Nikon to produce lenses there, I am not particularly psyched with sample variation at this point – see notes further down in this review. I got a 55-200 kit lense with my Nikon 5100 its a good lense for a kit lense I got the 55-300 for more reach as I do wildlife and sports for the high school soccer games. Color rendition and contrast are excellent, and resolution is also very good up to about 200mm and not bad above that. The interior of the Nikon 18-300mm contains plenty of metal to hold optical elements, although judging from the weight, it feels like the lens has nothing but glass.That lets me take high quality stills or videos from 12mm to 300mm (18mm-450mm full-frame equivalent) in a package that weighs only about 5 pounds. While the 28-300mm works well on both full-frame and cropped sensor cameras, its 28mm focal length is too long for general use on cropped sensor cameras (with an equivalent focal length of 42mm). It doesn't cost you anything extra when you use these links, but it does support the site, helping keep ePHOTOzine free to use, thank you. if you patiently tap the shutter button for the best autofocus and hold it very steadily when taking the shot. The 55-300mm isn't a ''constant'' lens, in that as you increase the focal length, both the maximum and minimum aperture sizes decrease.

Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED VR II Review Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED VR II Review

Chromatic aberration is the lens' inability to focus on the sensor or film all colours of visible light at the same point. For ring-type AF-S autofocus in a Nikon telephoto zoom, you need to trade up to the full-frame 70-300mm VR lens. Zooming is not internal – as you can see, the front extends considerably upon zooming from the Lock position through 55mm to 200mm. My principal purpose, though, was not comparison but just to see what the lens does with a variety of subjects and its full range of focal lengths, with and without the Kenko 1.It has been 15 years since Nikon produced the last iteration of its budget 300mm lens, so the new Nikkor 300mm f/4E PF ED VR was something many enthusiasts and professionals have been patiently waiting for.

Nikon 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR DX AF-S Nikkor Review Nikon 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR DX AF-S Nikkor Review

The 300mm focal length on a DX camera gives the same angle of view as a 450mm lens on a 35mm camera, producing a pronounced telephoto effect.

The corners at 70mm look very similar to the 55mm crops posted above, with softer corners wide open getting pretty good by f/8. But also autofocus with this lens, even at somewhat lower focal lengths, is not perfect on my D7100, except with high-contrast subjects. When it comes to AF, the 55-200mm zoom is surprisingly slow for a modern AF Nikkor, and is one of the slowest focusing lens in the AF-S line-up.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment