276°
Posted 20 hours ago

On Becoming a Person

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I become less and less inclined,” writes Rogers, “to hurry in to fix things, to set goals, to mold people, to manipulate and push them in the way that I would like them to go. I am much more content simply to be myself and to let another person be himself.” Unsurprisingly, he received quite a few honors for his work, including the inaugural Award for Distinguished Scientific Contributions in 1956 and the Award for Distinguished Professional Contributions to Psychology n 1972, both bestowed upon him by the American Psychological Association (APA).

On Becoming a Person: A Therapist’s View of (PDF) On Becoming a Person: A Therapist’s View of (PDF)

Another quote that I’ve used in just about every assignment since Level 2 to help illustrate the development of person-centred therapy. Characteristics of a Helping Relationship And the job of a psychotherapist should be that: to listen attentively and pass no judgment over his patients, thus creating a safe environment wherein one can really get in touch with his true self. I believe,” concludes Rogers, “that this statement holds whether I am speaking of my relationship with a client, with a group of students or staff members, with my family or children. It seems to me that we have here a general hypothesis which offers exciting possibilities for the development of creative, adaptive, autonomous persons.” Becoming a Person The organism reacts as an organised whole to this phenomenal field. The whole person works together rather than as separate parts.A person learns significantly only those things that are perceived as being involved in the maintenance of or enhancement of the structure of self” (Rogers, 1951). Therefore, relevancy to the student is essential for learning. The students' experiences become the core of the course.

On Becoming a Person by Carl Rogers, Frances Fuchs - Waterstones

And, according to the fathers of psychology, there’s something disturbing deep within each and every one of us; and it is a psychotherapist’s job to help an individual either to do away with these dark impulses (Freud) or to embrace them and incorporate them in a healthier way in his being (Jung).That’s it, Rogers realized: all we need to live a more fulfilled life is to feel that our desires and actions are normal! On Becoming a Person – Kramer goes on – “sold millions of copies when million was a rare number in publishing. Rogers was, for the decade that followed, the Psychologist of America, likely to be consulted by the press on any issue that concerned the mind, from creativity to self-knowledge to the national character.” Even without trying really hard, we guess that you can easily recall a situation in which a long talk with a friend made you feel better, or, to use the wrong word for the sake of simplicity, normal. Evan – That’s true. Rogers seems to have weathered one controversy after another – especially in the 40s and 50s when he was developing his practice and ideas. One thing he said, though, was that he was never bothered by what others thought he should be doing and so followed what he wanted to do and knew instinctively was the right thing – a true pioneer.

On Becoming a Person — Summary and Notes - Simone Smerilli On Becoming a Person — Summary and Notes - Simone Smerilli

Carl Rogers is widely credited as one of the founders of the humanist (client-centered approach) to psychology. Depression can be a life of moments, days, years, of a present that is tense, changing, recurring, empty, full, ugly and beautiful. This ebook is now available in most common ebook formats at major retailers. It seems that gradually, painfully, the individual explores what is behind the masks he presents to the world, and even behind the masks with which he has been deceiving himself...Thus to an increasing degree he becomes himself - not a facade of conformity to others, not a cynical denial of all feeling, nor a front of intellectual rationality, but a living, breathing, feeling, fluctuating process - in short, he becomes a person." I have been trying to suggest what happens in the warmth and understanding of a facilitating relationship with a therapist. It seems that gradually, painfully, the individual explores what is behind the masks he presents to the world, and even behind the masks with which he has been deceiving himself. Deeply and often vividly he experiences the various elements of himself which have been hidden within. Thus to an increasing degree, he becomes himself – not a façade of conformity to others, not a cynical denial of all feeling, nor a front of intellectual rationality, but a living, breathing, feeling, fluctuating process – in short, he becomes a person. Key Lessons from “On Becoming A Person” Rogers, Carl (1951). Client-centered therapy: Its current practice, implications and theory. London: Constable.So as to help a patient (or a lover or a child or a friend), it is the job of a psychotherapist (or a partner or a parent or a colleague) to create a safe environment. Experience which, if assimilated, would involve a change in the organization of self, tends to be resisted through denial or distortion of symbolism” (Rogers, 1951). If the content or presentation of a course is inconsistent with preconceived information, the student will learn if he or she is open to varying concepts. Being open to consider concepts that vary from one's own is vital to learning. Therefore, gently encouraging open-mindedness is helpful in engaging the student in learning. Also, it is important, for this reason, that new information is relevant and related to existing experience. Didn’t I tell you Rogers had the capability to be beautiful? I love that this “birthing process” is such a wonderful way of describing what happens when a person starts to change as a result of the therapeutic process. I also find it sweet that Rogers still remains in ‘awe’ of this. Any experience which is inconsistent with the organization or structure of self may be perceived as a threat, and the more of these perceptions there are, the more rigidly the self-structure is organized to maintain itself. When things happen that don’t fit with the picture we have of ourselves, we feel anxious. The more anxious we feel, the more stubbornly we hang on to the picture we have of ourselves as ‘real’.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment