276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Ice Monster: David Walliams

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

David Walliams fans, are you ready for an absolute MAMMOTH of an adventure? The Ice Monster is David's biggest and most epic adventure yet! This is the story of a ten-year-old orphan and a 10,000-year-old mammoth…

When Elsie, an orphan on the streets of Victorian London, hears about the mysterious Ice Monster – a woolly mammoth found at the North Pole – she’s determined to discover more… A chance encounter brings Elsie face to face with the creature, and sparks the adventure of a lifetime – from London to the heart of the Arctic! Rules: Only creatures of folklore, folk legend, and myth will be included here. Modern 20th- and 21st-century creations known to be fictional won't end up on this. So no modern ice dragons, icy movie monsters, living snowmen, flying reindeer, Ice type Pokemon, ect. We're not looking at modern pop culture but only the icy mythologies of the world, both popular and obscure. Cailleach: A Gaelic goddess, this mostly malevolent hag is the queen of winter. She herds deer, rides a wolf, fights spring, and freezes the ground with her staff. Some see her as the protector of wild animals. Our next myth comes from Japan, and this one is a deadly monster as well. Yuki-onna, translated as "snow woman," is said to be the spirit of a beautiful woman who perished in the snow. She is associated with winter. Her method of killing varies with the legend. Some say she leads travelers astray, leaving them to die of exposure in the cold. Others say she'll cause snowstorms to freeze travelers to death. Others say she appears with a child in her arms, known as Yukinko. This child often wears a yuki mino, a conical straw snow cloak traditional in Japan. Yuki-onna will freeze anyone who tries to take the cloaked Yukinko from her. Sometimes she'll even invade people's homes, blowing the door open and freezing them in their sleep. And other times, she only kills men who she successfully seduces with freezing kisses. The reason for her killing is not known. Some say she does it just because, while others say she drinks the blood or "life force" of her victims.

Follow us

There's no mention of a way to escape the Snow Woman, but there are legends that reveal she has a willingness to show mercy. She has been known to spare people. One legend even tells of her sparing a young man due to his youth and handsome appearance, and later he discovers that the woman he married is in fact Yuki-onna. Krampus: This is the half-goat, half-demon counterpart to Santa Claus who, according to Central European folklore, goes around punishing naughty children at Christmas. There were a lot of creatures I wanted to include on this list, but I simply couldn't cover all of them. So here are some honorable mentions.

London, 1899. Meet Elsie, the 10-year-old heroine of our tale. Recently escaped from Wormly Hall Orphanage, she’s about to embark on a transition from barefoot urchin to world famous adventurer, in less time than it takes to say “another fizzingly fabulous book from David Walliams.” When you see him jump, use a defensive to tank the damage or use a movement skill before he lands to move out of the area. With Thanksgiving behind us and December now upon us with Christmas on its way, I thought it would be fun to share a particular passion of mine! As many of you know, I'm super fascinated with mythical creatures of winter, ice and snow. (After all, my entire DA account is pretty much dedicated to ice dragons.) So, to celebrate the coming of winter, here are my personal top 10 mythical creatures of ice and the winter season!

Titch

In this keenly awaited novel, Victorian London plays host to a perfectly frozen 10,000 year old woolly mammoth. How Elsie and the mammoth become embroiled in peril on the high seas (as well as the River Thames) makes for a gleefully daft read and a great gift for the kids in your life.

Hrimfaxi: The horse of Nott, the goddess of night in Norse mythology, Hrimfaxi's name means "frost mane," and he pulls the moon chariot. The frost from his mane falls to the ground below to make dew. (This is one of my personal favorite icy myths simply because I adore horses, but I left it off the main list simply due to there not being a lot to it.) This creature, despite being something out of a horror movie, is no threat now. In one of the Inuit legends, a hero managed to kill Ikuutayuq, and her brother fled in terror. No such creature haunts the Arctic Circle anymore. One thing, though: pop culture usually depicts it wrong. You may think of this creature as having white fur, but eye-witnesses always say it has dark brown fur. So I got an accurate yeti picture for you above. If you think it looks like bigfoot...you would be right. Još jedan u nizu maštovitih romana iz pera Davida Walliamsa i olovke Tonyja Rossa ovoga puta govori o epskoj pustolovini desetogodišnje djevojčice Elsie i 10 000 godina stare mamutice. Priča nas vraća u London 1899. godine, u viktorijansko doba, a isprepletena je zanimljivim likovima, od kraljice Viktorije do Dugoprstih bandita. Kada Elsie, siroče koje život provodi na ulicama Londona, sazna za dolazak zagonetnog ‘’ledenog čudovišta’’, čvrsto odluči vidjeti ga u Prirodoslovnom muzeju. No, nikada se nije nadala da će naletjeti na oživljeno ‘’čudovište’’ koje je tolikih godina uspjelo preživjeti zaleđeno. Mladunče i Elsie dijele sudbinu; obje su ostavljene same na ovome svijetu pa se iz toga u trenu izrodi prijateljstvo koje će ih nagnati na veliku pustolovinu, čak do Sjevernog pola. Ich bin ein begeisterter Leser englischer Kinderliteratur und Roald Dahl gehört hierbei zu meinen Lieblingsautoren. Quentin Blake, der viele Bücher Dahls illustriert hat, hat mich mit seinen Illustrationen immer erfreuen können. So ist es auch bei diesem Buch. David Walliams hat mich sehr stark an Roald Dahl erinnert, während die Illustrationen von Tony Ross denen Blakes nicht unähnlich sind. Eine wundervolle Zusammenarbeit bei der dieses lesenswerte Mammut-Abenteuer entstanden ist.

ice monster ของพิธีกรดัง หนุ่ม กรรชัย ได้เปิดให้บริการครั้งแรกในช่วงเดือนกรกฎาคม 2549 หรือราว 16 ปีก่อน ณ บริเวณสยามสแควร์ ซอย 11 โดยมีจุดเด่นอยู่ที่ความแปลกใหม่ เนื่องจาก ice monster จะเป็นขนมหวานที่มีลักษณะเป็นของว่าง รสชาติเย็น ๆ คล้ายน้ำแข็งไส แต่มีเนื้อที่ละเอียดและนุ่มกว่า ทั้งยังมีน้ำเชื่อมที่เป็นสูตรเฉพาะของทางร้าน เหมาะกับประเทศไทยที่มีอากาศร้อน จนทำให้ได้รับความนิยมเป็นอย่างมาก Wechuge: A giant made of ice that consumed those who committed taboos, this Athabaskan myth is also very similar to the Chenoo and Wendigo. Frozen Strike - Whenever The Beast slashes with his sword ice crystals are released. These shatter after traveling a short distance releasing multiple smaller ice spikes.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment