276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Art of Death Stranding

£14.995£29.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

But Shinkawa’s mechanical designs are more than just eye candy. While they certainly look cool, they also evoke far more emotion than the typical video game robot usually does. The perfect example is the Odradek from Death Stranding, which is as expressive as any other character in the game, spinning wildly to signal when the ghoulish BTs are nearby and giving Sam a thumbs up when he’s in the clear. I’ve heard people call Death Stranding meditative, and I don’t disagree. But more than that, I’ve found it to be hypnotic. But "The Art of Death Stranding" is not just a beautiful coffee table book; it's also a valuable addition to the understanding of the game's themes and narrative. The book dives into the symbolism and themes that underpin the game, exploring the ideas of life, death, and human connection. It's clear that a lot of thought and intention went into the creation of this game, and the book does a fantastic job of conveying that. DEATH STRANDING DIRECTOR’S CUT on PC includes HIGH FRAME RATE, PHOTO MODE and ULTRA-WIDE MONITOR SUPPORT. Also includes cross-over content from Valve Corporation’s HALF-LIFE series and CD Projekt Red’s Cyberpunk 2077. Stay connected with players around the globe with the Social Strand System™. Some art will, given time, morph alongside us. Some art will wait calmly, even stubbornly, for us to return with a new perspective. Death Stranding, by my estimation, has done a bit of both. It has sat patiently, confident in its mechanisms and gargantuan in its ideas, but it has also shifted — just a little bit — while we all did our best to grow.

I love cars and bikes,” Shikawa explains. “And when you look at my designs, although they are mechanical, people sometimes refer to them as ‘sexy.’ Almost as if they are living. I always want to add this feeling to any of the mechanical designs that I make, bringing a ‘sexy looking’ feeling into it.” On Nov. 8, 2019, after three years of nebulous trailers and confusing gameplay demos, Kojima Productions released Death Stranding, its first project as an independent studio. I played it for 15 hours and didn’t enjoy a single one of them. I played the role of an exhausted man transporting boxes to a bunch of jerks scattered across a decimated U.S.; it was a plodding, preachy, indulgent mess. I promptly deleted it from my PlayStation 4.I tend to rely on the actual characters’ attractiveness when using real actors for our characters. So, when designing the outfit for that character, I would consider if it suits that actor – or not, too. But because we sometimes have a specific actor in mind for creating a character, it may be easier to think of the outfit first! Each Ultra-Limited Edition comes with a unique one-off sketch by Art Director Yoji Shinkawa. No one copy of the Ultra is the same. Each art piece is presented in a folder-frame.

Death Stranding is one of the most bizarre and unique games ever made, which isn’t so surprising when you consider it’s the first project from an independent Kojima Productions, where the legendary video game auteur Hideo Kojima is finally completely free to let his imagination run wild. Setting players on a grueling trek across a post-apocalyptic United States while delivering valuable cargo along the way, Death Stranding may be Kojima’s most divisive game (although I love it). Some have labeled it a “walking simulator” while others hail it as a prescient work of art that may even have predicted the state of the world during the Covid-19 pandemic. Asylums For The Feeling - Silent Poets (Feat. Leila Adu) - Lyrics Video [Death Stranding] Song 2019 - YouTube The combined result of his artistic training and choice of tools, is that his pen flows intuitively, the paper capturing bold characters in strong poses that seem to come from nowhere—Shinkawa's doodles show his absolute mastery of weight distribution in a human body, keeping character art from "floating," as the workings of gravity are always evident. Over time, the thrill of acquiring hi-tech items yields to a pang of regret. Other players’ emoji signs litter distribution centre entrances in the quest for cheap likes, and rugged landscapes start to resemble red-light districts. You start to crave undiscovered delivery routes for a reminder of the game’s unspoilt beauty. Thematically, it’s pretty overt: mankind’s attempt to tame nature – through selfishness, or selflessness – is storing up an environmental problem.

DEATH STRANDING Art Director Yoji Shinkawa commented: “This book covers insight to elements in DEATH STRANDING, along with how some concepts gradually evolved from inception. Consider this another view of the world of DEATH STRANDING.” I would say sequels are easier to set the image at the start. New IPs always have this start-up difficulty of giving birth, so to speak, so it is a whole lot more difficult.

Metal Gear Solid is one of the most cinematic, movie-like series in video game history. The games have featured widescreen, carefully directed, voice-acted cutscenes since the mid-90s. However, Shinkawa tells us that it’s the gameplay itself that always informs everything the team does, including cutscenes. According to the artist, their games are doing something very different — and even more complex — than what movies do. The Art of Death Stranding" is a stunning masterpiece of a book that explores the breathtaking visuals, themes, and concepts of one of the most innovative video games of recent years. This book is a true treasure for fans of the game and lovers of art alike. The book is filled with incredible artwork, from concept sketches to fully rendered illustrations, showcasing the vast and unique landscapes of the game, as well as the striking designs of its characters and creatures. As Sam Bridges, your mission is to deliver hope to humanity by connecting the last survivors of a decimated America.Death Stranding’s otherworldly imagery was presented gorgeously on the PS4 when the game initially released. But the PC version elevates Shinkawa and the rest of the team’s art in spectacular fashion. DEATH STRANDING is the first game from legendary game creator Hideo Kojima’s Kojima Productions since it became independent. The creative talent behind the seminal video game have collaborated with Titan Books to release these stunning Limited Editions of The Art of DEATH STRANDING.

Kojima again: "We also grade each portfolio with a rating of S, A, B, C etc. (the S-rank is from a Japanese academic ranking system used to describe a level superlative to grades such as A, B, etc—AT) I’ve probably looked at 10,000 candidates myself at this point, and I’ve never seen anyone who I immediately wanted to give an S until Shinkawa. He’s the only one, and it was an instant “gold star”. He had 4 different styles on display then. When I first saw his work he had drawings in an American comic style, a French comic style… and these didn’t at all seem like they’d been drawn by the same person. One folder, four distinct styles." The motion-captured performances are exceptional, even if arch villain Higgs (Troy Baker) makes Jared Leto’s Joker look subtle. The game’s exhilarating finale – long enough to be a game itself – remixes some of MGS’s greatest moments, but this deadens the impact for hardcore Kojima fans. The final act shakes things up, but the gruelling 15-20-hour mid-section is a seemingly endless toil of literal hills and valleys, rather than emotional highs and lows.

Products In This Article

Death Stranding is replete with questions of whether any of this is worth it — the solidarity and togetherness of it all. If catastrophes will keep piling up, and humans will continue to isolate, and communities will continue to fracture, then what’s the point of ever coming together? For all of its preaching, the game doesn’t end with tidy answers. To tie a bow on these questions in a final cutscene would undercut all of the work its gameplay has already done more elegantly than its thousands of words.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment