276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Escape: The gripping, twisty thriller from the #1 bestseller

£4.495£8.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

How does it all make sense? Brain wash from young age. A woman’s destiny in the FLDS is handed to her... She is assigned in marriage by the prophet who’s told by God the name of her husband-to-be. . Of course, they might be married to much older men, that are already married to many women, and have countless children. At eighteen, she had been married to the prophet Uncle Roy. The one who married the most was the favorite son among the prophet’s seventy children. The prophet is above all, All of us, myself included, believed that Uncle Rulon was the true prophet of God, so we would never dream of criticizing anything he said or did. , and his closest people get the same type of superiority. Any act of insanity is considered an act of divine inspiration. All are made to believe that a woman could become celestial goddess only if she was married to a man in this life who was worthy of becoming a god after death and only if she behaved herself, so he would choose to do so. She would get after she dies an appreciation for her in death that her husband never had for her in life. The code wheel provided many opportunities to anticipate and celebrate getting a correct answer. I didn’t feel like it wore out its welcome, but others might find it tedious to solve so many similar ciphers. Good lighting is crucial for certain observation-based puzzles. That recommendation of a magnifying glass might come in handy too, especially if you have trouble seeing small details.

Tony Campolo theorizes in The Power Delusion that in personal and corporate relationships, those that love least have the most power. His point is that Christians are called to love, but instead often erroneously seek power while jettisoning love. The book begins with the Chicago PD searching for a kidnapping victim. The action is furious, and Patterson and Ellis use the investigation to introduce Billy to readers and give them a thorough tour of the Windy City and its suburbs. Interestingly, the authors portray their protagonist as an officer who would make Chicago proud. Hard-working and honest to a fault, he cannot be bought but is willing to circumvent procedures and policies that he believes would prevent justice from being administered. Carolyn's story is simply amazing. The only thing that could make it better is some tighter editing. For example, at least the fact that the FLDS has a major presence in the local police force (thus making it hard to escape), is mentioned several times. Have a little faith that a reader can read it once and retain it.

Create your own business - Escape Room

K.R. Alexander is zelf groot fan van pretparken en vond deze passie een perfecte basis voor zijn volgende verhaal. My other challenge with this one was there was so much going on with the many storylines and characters dropping and out. In some ways, too many activities and variables negatively impacted the telling of the story. Although the suspense and mysteries weren’t bad, there were some actions and outcomes that didn’t really make sense to me and hurt the plotting. I would mention a few, but I don’t want to give away any spoilers. It is amazing that this woman not only escaped, but that she succeeded in being awarded custody of her children. It is a complete testament to her personal strength, determination, and individuality. She rose above and thought for herself. She wanted more for her children and knew that more was "out there." Unfortunately, once her eldest daughter (who had escaped with her) turned 18, she (the daughter) opted to return to the FLDS community. I cannot imagine the author's heartache and sense of loss, now losing her daughter to everything she (the author) has fought against. As of the writing of the book, the author had not heard from her daughter after her return to the FLDS. In the trial which I mentioned above, the author was a witness for the prosecution; her eldest daughter, a noted witness for the defendant, Warren Jeffs. Family against family. The book is extremely informative if a little dry in the delivery. This is the kind of book that many should be aware of. This is a factual retelling of Carolyn’s life and life in the FLDS ruled by men. There are lots of other unsavoury aspects to the FLDS that Carolyn did not get into as she was tied up trying to look after 8 children in a horrible environment of bullying and abuse. You can certainly read them online. Warren Jeffs would become the prophet and the FLDS took an even more extreme turn which was supposed to work out well for Warren and his cronies. I was born into six generations of polygamy on my mother’s side and started life in Hildale, Utah in a fundamentalist Mormon community known as the FLDS, or the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Polygamy was the issue that defined us and the reason we’d split from the mainstream Mormon Church’. The author, Carolyn Jessop, goes on to say: ‘A man must have multiple wives if he expects to do well in heaven, where he can eventually become a god and wind up with his own planet’. Then there is this: ‘The official policy of the Mormon Church became, and still is, that those who practice polygamy are not in harmony with God.’ The prophet, Joseph Smith, was rumoured to have had between 33 and 48 wives but in 1890 those who practice polygamy would be excommunicated by the Mormon church.

This book was very informative about flds culture and easy to read. I admit I skimmed parts, but I was more interested in getting the big picture and dude, what a hard life. Ms. Jessop's depiction of the FLDS faith community is one utterly devoid of love and dominated by members seeking to have power over one another in the most jaw-dropping, vicious, abusive means imaginable. Leaders dissolved families, abruptly drove some children out to fend for themselves and sexually abused others, created a fear-based culture with the threat of whimsical, eternal excommunications, and incrementally cut off members from the outside world. Some men ruled their families selfishly and abusively, extracting obedience to cruelty and exploitation based on the fear that they would not select the rebellious to rule with them in the after-life--a tenant of Mormon theology. Wives and children eked out their survival in a cutthroat environment they helped create, jostling for position and advantage within their families and bullying whomever they could. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.Ms. Jessop details her life from being forced into a marriage at 18 to a 50 year old man (barf!) to her unbelievable escape with all 8 of her children (she was only in her early 30's) and how she was finally able to make her situation permanent.

Some people escape from concrete jails. For others safe, normal life is the worst imprisonment. In 1968, Moitessier – already a legendary sailor – is planning to sail solo around the world, without touching land. He can’t be doing with shore life. When he hears about the Golden Globe yacht race, he decides to join in. He has the chance to win and gain the glory. But as he is sailing towards the finish, he realises it just another entrapment. If there’s such a thing as enlightenment, Moitessier found it halfway across the South Atlantic. It didn't have enough time to develop its themes or its characters as well as it could have, particularly in the setting. I think the setting was not explored nearly enough. A theme park gone wrong is a fantastic setting for creepy shenanigans. And I really took to heart the descriptions of this being a twisted Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Stories inside the rooms

You hear about these things,but wonder to yourself if it's really true,and then put it out of your mind. After reading this book I not only belive these things are truly happening,but while reading it,I wanted to jump up and try to get all of those women out of that religion!! LOL Of course,I'm just an itty bitty woman that lives in an itty bitty town in Wisconsin,so not much I can do for these women.I just thank God that America's Most Wanted was able to "capture" the guy that became the Leader of this so called religion. A religion that belives that the Men are the rulers,Women are to be nothing more than slaves,and do as they are told,and the wife can be of any age,,starting at age 12,the younger the better,in fact. She's 12 yrs old? That's great! The thought is the younger they are the more gullible and naive they will be? And will do anything?? And of course,not question it. The important issue of sex in these marriages is not something I think God had in mind. To procreate,yes,but to use it against another "wife" in a polygamist marriage is/was disgusting to me. I know these woman,and men,as well,are brought up in this religion and know no better,but really after a time one would think that more of them would realize what kind of horse---- are they living in/with? I'm so glad that the author of this book,finally started get some sense into your noggin',and got the good sense to GET OUT! Although,the act of just getting herself out was one thing,but getting her 8 children out as well,and with one that was ill to boot,was an act of God in and of itself. I just hope her older daughter...will one day see the light as her Mother did. A very good read. Here's the link at America's Most Wanted regarding "Warren Steed Jeffs"-the Leader,who may not have started all this,but became more bold than all the other leaders and that is what became the undoing of him and hopefuly most of the "cult" that he tried so hard to control. Gelukkig heeft K.R. Alexander gezorgd voor een realistische ontwikkeling wat Cody betreft, door de lezer te laten zien welke gevolgen bepaalde keuzes hebben. En wat het met anderen doet als je je anders voor doet dan je bent. Hiermee geeft hij de jeugdige lezers ook een duidelijke boodschap mee.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment