276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Dodger

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Affably Evil: Mrs. Holland, who's Nanny Ogg if she ran a brothel with a side business in shanghaiing people. Did you know you can flag iffy content? Adjust limits for Sex, Romance & Nudity in your kid's entertainment guide. Get started Close Being set in London at the time that it was, there was, of course, some crude comments and innuendo, though not overly so.

Dodger - Sir Terry Pratchett

Given the unpredictability of the local water supply, most of the characters, including 17-year-old Dodger, drink beer, cider, and wine. But Dodger is careful not to become vulnerably inebriated. First, a disclaimer: As virtually a life-long Pratchett fan, I would probably buy anything he publishes. If he were to release a book titled World of Poo, I would probably...oh. Nevermind. While this had all the hallmarks of a Prachett novel with plenty of turn of wonderful phrases, it felt more educational than humorous. Life on the streets of Victorian London could be harsh, violent, and dangerous, and Dodger doesn't pretend otherwise. But when violence occurs in the novel, it's not presented with much graphic detail. A young woman is kidnapped and beaten, Dodger exacts physical vengeance on those who would do her harm, and there's a showdown in the sewers. Dodger also has a close shave from a razor wielded by a certain barber of Fleet Street. However, as Dodger’s plan begins to unfold, the Outlander appears. No one has been able to identify or catch the guy because he looks different whenever he appears. In a surprising twist, the assassin is actually a woman – the same woman that’s been present with the “assassin” each and every time. Here, Pratchett uses his satirical style to make a subtle jab at the traditional aspects of gender roles in Victorian-era London.Charlie suggests that Simplicity move into his rich friend Angela Burdett-Coutts’s house, as she is known for using her money to help those in need, especially women. While Simplicity tries to hide from the spotlight, Dodger uses it to devise a plan. With his new status, he can arrange meetings with top-tier politicians that might be able to save Simplicity. He meets with Benjamin Disraeli, a higher-up in Parliament, to arrange her protection. The government does not want to get involved, though, as knowingly harboring a fugitive from the German states might cause turmoil to their country-to-country politics. Intergenerational Friendship: There's thirty years or more separating Dodger and Solomon, but their friendship is pretty much at Heterosexual Life-Partners levels. Anti-Villain: Sweeney Todd, whose actions are caused thanks to extreme PTSD. Dodger is more than a little disturbed at how he's treated as a monster in the press and in the stories of Dodger's fight with him The most glaring problem here is the Godmode-Gary Stu-like protagonist. In the space of approximately a week, the teenage 'tosher' (sewage scavenger) with questionable personal hygiene:

Dodger by Terry Pratchett | Goodreads

Tragic Villain: Poor, Poor, Sweeney Todd. This version of him was a battlefield surgeon in the Napoleonic Wars, and his mind was so twisted by the terrible things he saw there that he began to see his customers as horrifically injured comrades, who he could only ever help by means of a Mercy Kill... As Dodger's triumphant path ultimately brings him honour from the very highest rank of society, we cannot help but cheer not only for his success, but also for the success of this ebullient, funny and delightful novel. sometimes it seemed to him that although the man was the master, which was of course only right and proper, if you watched and listened, you would see that their marriage was like a barge on the river, with the wife being the wind that told the captain which way the barge would sail. Mrs. Mayhew, if not being the wind, certainly knew when to apply the right puff.” So, mostly in the spirit of experiment, the two of them started building a book together. It was a lark, really – a side project with nothing hingeing on it except their own diversion. According to Terry they were “two guys who didn’t have anything to lose by having fun”. They were also two guys who operated at different ends of the day. Neil, at this point in his life, was largely allergic to the morning and would wake around lunchtime to flurries of crisp answerphone messages from his collaborator, which were generally variations on the theme of “Get up, you lazy bastard”. Before I started in the Pratchett I'd already flirted with the writing of Stephen King, Dean R Koontz, Wilbur Smith and Shaun Hudson. I was about eleven and once I'd started learning things that were probably a bit beyond my ken at that point (Snuff movies in the book Dead Heads for example) I felt it was time to try and find a safe non sexy, non murdery half-way house for junior teens. Et voila, up steps Pratchett.Rhianna, Terry and Lyn Pratchett, dressed for a stage adaptation of Maskerade in 1995. Photograph: Penguin Angela Burdett-Coutts is not a very well-known historical figure, but apparently part of the reason why Pratchett wanted to write this book was to feature her as a character. Likewise Joseph Bazalgette, who really did reform the London sewers. Debo decir que algunas partes del argumento me ha costado entenderlas. También me ha parecido que no tiene tanto humor como otros libros del autor, o quizá sea yo que no he captado todas las referencias (soy bastante joven y tengo mucho que aprender), pero aún así tiene momentos y frases capaces de sacar una sonrisa a cualquiera.

Dodger by Terry Pratchett – review | Terry Pratchett | The

Damsel in Distress: Simplicity is introduced as one, though in the latter parts of the novel she reveals herself to be smarter and more resourceful than she first appears. And this brings me to my next issue, which is possibly controversial: the historical figures were all middle-class or wealthy do-gooders, concerning themselves with charity towards the deserving poor. There was no mention of working class figures of the industrial era organised labour movement - the movement that would culminate in arguably the biggest ever shift in British society: the post-war Labour victory that led to the NHS, radical redistribution of wealth, the grammar schools and free University education - all of which would have fundamentally shaped TP's childhood and adult opportunities. displays the fighting skills of Greebo: the skinny teenager easily outmanoeuvres the Demon Barber of Fleet Street, and professional assassins Robert Peel, the head of police, steps in to help Dodger. He doesn’t expose what he knows about Simplicity, and he doesn’t intervene when Dodger knowingly breaks laws to protect her once and for all.I've read several of Pratchett's previous novels, including from the Discworld novels and his The Long Earth (with Stephen Baxter) and Good Omens (with Neil Gaiman). With Dodger, though, Pratchett proves his skill as a wordsmith and story-teller. Constantly colorful and always witty, Dodger is fun, inventive, and thoroughly enjoyable.

Dodger Summary | SuperSummary Dodger Summary | SuperSummary

Here’s the former press officer of the Central Electricity Generating Board, South Western Region, with his name in lights – Terry Pratchett at the peak of his powers. Terry often talked about “doing” his autobiography. In the years before he was ill, he talked about it almost exclusively to dismiss the idea. He didn’t seem persuaded that there was anything in the story of the journey that took a kid from a council house in Beaconsfield to a knighthood and a mansion near Salisbury by the sheer power of his imagination alone; or in the tale of how a boy with, as Terry put it, “a mouthful of speech impediments” became one of his generation’s most popular communicators; or how someone who left school with five O-levels could also go on to have an honorary professorship at Trinity College Dublin. And besides, there were always other things waiting to be written – bigger stories in which far more outlandish and arresting things were free to happen. Mmmm, as I recall, if you go around telling people that they are downtrodden, you tend to make two separate enemies: the people who are doing the downtreading and have no intention of stopping, and the people who are downtrodden, but nevertheless -- people being who they are -- don't want to know. They can get quite nasty about it.” This may be classed as a children's book but as an adult reading I can say that you wouldn't necessarily realise that fact if you didn't know it. Terry Pratchett had again written a book for younger viewers that is just as good for adult and as I said if you didn't know you wouldn't know the difference and I think that is one of the many things that Sir Terry is so talented at doing.

A storm. Rain-lashed city streets. A flash of lightning. A scruffy lad sees a girl leap desperately from a horse-drawn carriage in a vain attempt to escape her captors. Can the lad stand by and let her be caught again? Of course not, because he's...Dodger.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment