276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Asterix Omnibus 1: Asterix The Gaul, Asterix and The Golden Sickle, Asterix and The Goths

£7.495£14.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Goscinny (author), Uderzo (author), Jean-Yves Ferri (author), Didier Conrad (illustrator), Goscinny Hachette, the rightsholder to Asterix has over all been against that any changes would be made to the artwork especially for this Papercutz reprint, however some character portrayals have been toned down and recolored to a smaller degree. Therefore the artwork has at large but not at whole been untouched by american editing for this Omnibus series. [4] Translation Gustines, George Gene (November 7, 2019). "Asterix and the New Translated Editions". The New York Times– via NYTimes.com. George Marston (July 13, 2020). "FCBD 2020 X-Men #1 leads Free Comic Book Summer week 1 titles". GamesRadar+. The RRP is the suggested or Recommended Retail Price of a product, set by the publisher or manufacturer.

Asterix Omnibus - Wikipedia

I have to mostly agree with this ranking (although I’ve only read the Goscinny ones). I would rate Olympic Games somewhat higher (maybe #7, ahead of Asterix in Spain) and Great Crossing MUCH lower (outside the top 20, at least), and maybe Chieftain’s Shield should be in the top 5 just ahead of Asterix in Britain and Obelix and co. I can’t argue with much else. Glad to see it’s not just from nostalgia that I think Asterix the Legionary is the best (it was the first one I read). Uderzo and Goscinny parody the Tour de France cycle race in this culinary tour around Gaul. It marks the first appearance of Dogmatix. Banquet has more plotholes than any other Goscinny-penned Asterix book: Asterix, Obelix, and Getafix travel to the eastern reaches of the known world, Sarmatia. The book breaks the formula by starting the Gauls’ story when they’re already close to their destination, allowing for more interesting story-telling. The most viable love interest yet for the main characters is handled surprisingly well. The Romans conspire with a Roman-friendly Gaulish village to declare a ritual winner-takes-all fight between village chiefs. A blow from one of Obelix's menhirs causes Getafix to lose his memory, leaving the Gauls without magic potion. The fight parodies professional boxing. Chief Vitalstatistix takes the spotlight in the 11th Asterix adventure. When he’s sent to Averne spas for a health cure, Asterix and Obelix are caught up in a search for the shield of Vercingetorix, a conquered Gaulish chieftain. It’s a fun mystery, and the recurring gag where the Roman soldiers search through coal cellars is especially enjoyable.Terry Nantier, publisher of Papercutz, is of the opinion that the new americanized translation of the works will help to attract new readers, especially younger ones. [12] [9] Volumes Volumes Asterix and Obelix set off on a fishing expedition and inadvertently discover the Americas, full of “Gobblers” (turkeys) and “Romans” (Native Americans). Obelix’s foreshadowing of the Statue of Liberty is an iconic moment. Gustines, George Gene (November 7, 2019). "Asterix and the New Translated Editions"– via NYTimes.com. Caesar sends one of his advisors to the Gaulish village, in an effort to make them rich, decadent and utterly dependent on Rome. He starts by buying menhirs at ever-increasing prices, thus persuading most of the village to make useless menhirs, and in turn employing other villagers to hunt for their food. The plan goes awry when Caesar's treasury proves insufficient to fund the menhirs, and a campaign to sell them in Rome fails because of competition from Egyptian menhirs and slave-made Roman menhirs. The two versions of the Omnibus volumes (hardcover and softcover) in the series are almost identical, except for:

Asterix Books: Ranked from Worst to Best - Aphoristic Album Asterix Books: Ranked from Worst to Best - Aphoristic Album

books (to date) from Asterix and the Picts (2013) to Asterix and the Griffin (2021) written by Jean-Yves Ferri and illustrated by Didier Conrad Most Asterix fans will agree that the Goscinny era is the franchise’s strongest. Uderzo’s first books after Goscinny’s sudden passing are enjoyable, but his later efforts are problematic. The recent efforts from Jean-Yves Ferri and Didier Conrad are worthy – a rebound from Uderzo’s later albums, but not as strong as Goscinny’s best.

books from Asterix and the Great Divide (1980) to Asterix and the Falling Sky (2005) written and illustrated by Albert Uderzo Fabcaro replaces Jean-Yves Ferrias the writer of the series with Didier Conrad continuing to draw the comics. Chariot Race is another solid Ferri and Conrad effort than recaptures the elegant simplicity of classic Asterix adventures. Naming a rival chariot driver “Coronavirus” was scarily prescient. It’s also noteworthy as the first Asterix book not translated into English by Anthea Bell. It’s time for a boy’s trip, as the men of the Gaulish village travel to Olympia. The story was originally serialised to coincide with the Mexico Olympics in 1968. It’s effectively Asterix in Greece – as well as exploring Greek culture, it also parodies the contemporary Olympics’ struggle against performance-enhancing drugs.

Asterix omnibus. [2], Asterix the gladiator, Asterix and the

The 90s were the last decade where I was paying attention. I outlasted a lot of my peers whose last…

Customer reviews

Access-restricted-item true Addeddate 2022-08-22 08:01:08 Associated-names Goscinny, 1926-1977. Astérix gladiateur. English; Goscinny, 1926-1977. Tour de Gaule d'Astérix. English; Goscinny, 1926-1977. Astérix et Cléopâtre. English; Uderzo, ill Autocrop_version 0.0.14_books-20220331-0.2 Bookplateleaf 0002 Boxid IA40658622 Camera USB PTP Class Camera Collection_set printdisabled External-identifier Left alone in Getafix's hut, Obelix drinks a cauldron of magic potion. He first turns to stone, then into a small boy. Meanwhile, a group of men have escaped from Roman slavery on board a ship. Together, they travel to Atlantis, hoping to make Obelix a grown man again. Have you tried the new ones – I don’t think they threaten the Goscinny era, but they’re enjoyable enough.

Asterix Omnibus 1: Asterix The Gaul, Asterix and The Golden

In Asterix and the Picts Asterix and Obelix rescue a mysterious Pict named MacAroon and must journey to Caledonia, now Scotland, to return him to his lady love. However, the treacherous chieftain, MacCabeus, plans to marry her and claim the throne - with the help of the Romans! urn:lcp:asterixomnibus2a0000unse:epub:89e7c73c-fb27-49df-bcfe-d4facaa41999 Foldoutcount 0 Identifier asterixomnibus2a0000unse Identifier-ark ark:/13960/s2s80nk6d2p Invoice 1652 Isbn 9781444004243 When Asterix and Obelix rescue a mysterious Pict named MacAroon, they must journey to Caledonia, to return him to his lady love, Camomilla, the adopted daughter of the old king. However, the treacherous chieftain MacCabeus – with the help of the Romans – plans to marry her and claim the throne. Ocr tesseract 5.2.0-1-gc42a Ocr_detected_lang en Ocr_detected_lang_conf 1.0000 Ocr_detected_script Latin Ocr_detected_script_conf 0.5080 Ocr_module_version 0.0.17 Ocr_parameters -l eng Old_pallet IA-NS-0001290 Openlibrary_edition Goscinny and Uderzo’s Britain is full of warm beer and tea. The reference to French language instruction (“It is smaller than the garden of my uncle, but larger than the pen of my aunt”) is subtly hilarious, and Obelix would certainly make a great rugby prop.

Any reason you don’t like Great Crossing? I read most of these as a young kid, so that’s probably clouding my judgement. Asterix films not based closely on a single book have had film books released in a format similar to the original albums, but with scenes from the films and a written story. Brewing the magic potion requires fresh fish, and Unhygienix has none since he imports them from Lutetia (Paris) (despite living by the sea). Asterix and Obelix set sail to catch fish, but become lost and end up on the other side of the ocean, discovering a New World, where they eventually become a legend to the Native American populace. Soon afterwards, a Viking explorer discovers America, and captures the first natives he finds (i.e. Asterix and Obelix) and brings them home. A running joke in this comic is that none of the races are able to understand one another, the Vikings speaking with Scandinavian vowels that the Gauls are unable to duplicate, but that their dogs are able to communicate perfectly. In Ferri and Conrad’s first Asterix adventure, Asterix, Obelix, and Dogmatix visit Caledonia (Scotland). It’s a good old-fashioned Asterix romp, a crowdpleaser that plays it safe. The characters names are just as amusing as ever, with Camomilla and Macaroon the central couple.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment