276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Faeries of the Faultlines: Expanded, Edited Edition

£14.495£28.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The book is a collection of notes and illustrations on the many fae and faeries that Compiet has encountered on her travels on the Faultline, the space where the world of the Other and our world intersect. Then again, I hear that the author has taken from previous books of the same nature and then expanded on those. Which might explain why the second half got better and had more details. Those, as far as I can tell, were faeries for which the author had invented the text herself. Two staple books of most 70s 'right on' households were Rien Poortvliet's Leven en Werken van de Kabouter, known as Gnomes in English, and Brian Froud and Alan Lee's Faeries. Iris Compiet: From a very early age I was intrigued by the world of faery. I was always reading stories and listening to fairy tales. When I stumbled upon the book Faeries by Brian Froud and Alan Lee, I figured that could be my job when I grew older: paint faeries, be an artist. At first, things didn’t really work out because I lost touch with fantasy and the faery world as I grew older and went to art school. Fantasy was frowned upon in art school so I had to put it aside for a bit. Iris Compiet is the rarest of artist: That who invokes a complete and cohesive reality with every image she creates. Beautiful, powerful and contemplative all at once. — Guillermo Del Toro

Faeries of the Faultlines : Expanded, Edited Edition Faeries of the Faultlines : Expanded, Edited Edition

My guess is that artist Iris Compiet has a similar heartfelt connection to Froud and Lee's work (I mean, messrs Froud and Lee have written forewords for the book, so..), as she more or less has in this book made a sequel of sorts. Her art hewes close to Froud and Allen's style, but also builds on it. And the art is truly magnificent. (And it turns out she's Dutch, which is a fun coincidence.)Iris Compiet is the rarest of artist: That who invokes a complete and cohesive reality with every image she creates. Beautiful, powerful and contemplative all at once. -- Guillermo Del Toro Let me tell you about Faeries, let me take you away on a journey, an adventure. Aside from the above this is a nice "coffee table" book for anyone who loves faerie mythology or cryptozoology in general.

Loading interface - Goodreads

They can stay underwater for a very long time, rarely rising to the surface to breathe. When they do, only their glowing white eyes are visible, as their otherwise dark features hide them from sight. Their thin, dark, and long hair allows them to cover the water's surface, creating the illusion of solid ground. Once a child steps on this treacherous surface, they will find themselves ensnared in the dark tangle of the nykr's hair, choke, and drown." I did have some issues with this book. If you are looking for a story about faerie, this isn't that at all. It's chapters that go through different types of faeries, but even that isn't very well organized. I struggled at points to see how certain drawing of faeries really belonged in the chapter they were put in. In the end, I just had to kind of go with it and stop paying attention to what chapter I was in.Those sketches turned into a book because I wanted to invite more people into the Faultlines, a world I’ve always known but wasn’t quite ready for until that moment, that day when I just made peace with myself and let it flow. This is fashioned to look like a sketchbook from a naturalist wandering in search of faeries. Oh, the lengths I had to go to to get my hands on this. Sadly, it didn‘t hold up to the hype/promise. Potentially the best book of faerie artwork I've seen. The text, a journal of Iris' journeys through the Faultlines, is intricately woven between gorgeous images sketched and painted by the author herself. Iris ha un talento mozzafiato, i suoi schizzi sono pazzeschi, e gli acquerelli ti catturano fino a portarti all'interno della narrazione stessa: è davvero coinvolgente, ricco di dettagli e storie che ti traportano in un'altro mondo.

Faeries of the Faultlines by Iris Compiet - Kayla C. Reviews Faeries of the Faultlines by Iris Compiet - Kayla C. Reviews

Connections such as talking about Michelangelo possibly using crushed faery pupae cement the Faultlines even more as a real place. Can you talk about developing those kind of touchpoints? Disclaimer: I received a free digital review copy of this book through Edelweiss+. All opinions in this review are my own and are honest and unbiased.) In all honesty the whole look and idea behind it was totally in line with the art itself. Nothing was really planned out, it was all very natural and it made perfect sense to create a book which people could take with them when they’d go out into nature. Something they could open up and read a bit then look at their surroundings and maybe see the creatures they’d just read about. I didn’t really have any book in mind when I created this one. I just knew I wanted it to be as close as possible to my own sketchbooks, that’s why I used a specific type of paper to print on, the finish of the cover—it all helps with the idea that this is my sketchbook and my journey.Belíssimas gravuras e desenhos. Fabulosas descrições e pequenas histórias sobre os habitantes desse mundo que nos é apresentado. Davvero imperdibile per gli appassionati di magia, del piccolo popolo e delle creature fantastiche in generale.

Faeries of the Faultlines - Iris Compiet

This is such a beautiful book, and the descriptions of the fairies are whimsical and grounded (if that makes sense; it really feels like Compiet is documenting real beings). Highly recommend this one for an escapist experience in the woods and swamplands of the fairy's domain. Both the signed version and the signed/sketched version will come with a signed and numbered print of the cover image. Like creatures in our world, the faeries lives in different habitats. What were some of your favorite types of environments to explore? The other issue I had is with the font used for the "written" portions of the journal. The font used was a super slanted and cramped cursive font that I struggled to read, especially on some of the faerie names. It would have been nice to have these parts in a more legible font. The last complaint I have is that a lot of the drawings in here were very unfinished feeling, they were just rough sketches. I enjoy more finished drawings, but that is a personal preference.Our servers are getting hit pretty hard right now. To continue shopping, enter the characters as they are shown Iris Compiet knows the world of faery. With a careful eye, the artist and writer explores realms beyond our own, discovering beautiful creatures and beings. You might have come to know her work through the gorgeous The Dark Crystal Bestiary: The Definitive Guide to the Creatures of Thra. If so, you’re in for a treat as you enter the world of the Faultlines. Compiet created this place full of fantastical wonders, and the new Faeries of the Faultlines: Expanded, Edited Edition takes readers on a journey. I can't tell you how many times I read Faeries, as a kid. You'd find me hunched in some little nook of the house, listening to Enya on my Walkman. Iris Compiet is the rarest of artist: That who invokes a complete and cohesive reality with every image she creates. Beautiful, powerful and contemplative all at once." I enjoyed that there were pencil sketches and full-colour illustrations for each type of faerie as well as their variations (presented as local incarnations). It gives the book that kind of field guide feel. The text is in italics, which sometimes makes it hard to decipher, but no doubt is also intended to reinforce that field guide feel.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment