276°
Posted 20 hours ago

London Calling

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

London Calling The Clash". The RS 500 Greatest Songs of All Time. RollingStone. 9 December 2004 . Retrieved 22 November 2007. .

London Calling" was released as the only single from the album in the UK and reached No.11 in the charts in January 1980, [5] becoming at once the band's highest-charting single until " Should I Stay or Should I Go" hit No.1 ten years later. The song did not make the U.S. charts, as " Train in Vain" was released as a single and broke the band in the United States, reaching No.23 on the pop charts. The song fades out with a Morse code signal spelling S-O-S, [9] reiterating the earlier urgent sense of emergency, and further alluding to drowning in the river. David Gianatasio (25 June 2012). "British Airways Doesn't Want Brits Flying". ADWEEK . Retrieved 26 June 2012. The lyrics reflect the concern felt by Strummer about world events with the reference to "a nuclear error" – the incident at Three Mile Island, which occurred earlier in 1979. Joe Strummer has said: "We felt that we were struggling about to slip down a slope or something, grasping with our fingernails. And there was no one there to help us." [1] [6] The RS 500 Greatest Songs of All Time". RollingStone. 9 December 2004. Archived from the original on 15 August 2006 . Retrieved 22 November 2007. 15. London Calling, The Clash .British single certifications – Clash – London Calling". British Phonographic Industry . Retrieved 4 February 2022. Hearing audio snippets of the other songs from London Calling really turned me off at first. Joe Strummer's vocal style did not sound like my cup at tea at first. I never ever thought that I would give this band a chance. Like a lot of bands that I am ignorant of, this is another one of those bands that I would unexpectedly love naturally upon the first listen. Simpson, Dave (9 January 2020). "The Clash's 40 greatest songs – ranked!". The Guardian . Retrieved 20 February 2022.

Selected items are only available for delivery via the Royal Mail 48® service and other items are available for delivery using this service for a charge. Matrix / Runout (Side C, etched, except C, D stamped, var 5): CL-3-4-A2 CBS-S-CLASH-3-C-2 C timtom D The line "London is drowning / And I live by the river" comes from concerns that if the River Thames flooded, most of central London would drown, something that led to the construction of the Thames Barrier. [1] [6] Strummer's concern for police brutality is evident through the lines "We ain't got no swing / Except for the ring of that truncheon thing" as the Metropolitan Police at the time had a truncheon as standard issued equipment. Social criticism also features through references to the effects of casual drug taking: "We ain't got no high / Except for that one with the yellowy eyes". [ original research?] VH1'S '100 GREATEST SONGS OF THE '80S' ". VH1. 24 October 2006. Archived from the original (JHTML) on 6 February 2007 . Retrieved 31 December 2007. 42 The Clash / 'London Calling' 1982 .The Clash - "London Calling" (Singles Going Steady Classic)". PopMatters. 15 April 2016 . Retrieved 25 February 2020. Limited to 1,800 copies, only available at selected Tesco stores as part of a U.K. 'Father's Day' (Sunday 19th June 2016) promotion. Walker, Rob (15 September 2002). "Brand new Jag". Boston Globe. Archived from the original on 4 October 2002 . Retrieved 31 December 2007. Canadian single certifications – Clash – London Calling". Music Canada . Retrieved 23 January 2021. Following the 2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine, the Clash gave permission to a Ukrainian punk band named Beton to rewrite the song as an anti-invasion anthem and charity fund-raiser titled "Kyiv Calling". [25] Charts [ edit ] Rel.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment