276°
Posted 20 hours ago

A CRAFTY CIGARETTE Tales of a Teenage Mod: Foreword by John Cooper Clarke: 1 (The Tales Trilogy from Zani)

£3.495£6.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

For millions of young football-lovers, the French soccer star Zinedine Zidane is a powerful role model. So when the EU was looking for sportsmen to front a campaign against smoking in 2002, who better than "Zizou" to bang home the message, "Feel free to say no"? For me, sport and smoking have always been synonymous. My first cigarette was at Manchester City v Carlisle, 1974. My uncle insisted. "You're old enough to suffer at Maine Road, son, you're old enough to smoke a cigarette." We lost, of course. For 30 years since, City has been associated with smoking and suffering. We were managed by Big Malcolm Allison, rarely seen without a fat cigar in his mouth. This was the 1970s - a decade in which the drooping cigarette and drink in hand signified suave glamour and sex appeal rather than cancer, halitosis and heart disease. English football's most notorious smoker, however, was probably Stan Bowles. By 1983 he was downing a bottle of vodka and 80 cigarettes a day. verifyErrors }}{{ message }}{{ /verifyErrors }}{{

A must read for people like me who became a Mod in the late seventies and all people interested in this culture.’ Then he becomes a Mod after hearing the Jam and the book takes us through his journey from shy loner to popular Mod and local Anarchist.

Get the Modculture weekly newsletter

Wow this was an amazing book. My favourite of 2016. Matteo comes to the UK in the late sixties and initially has trouble settling in England as a shy Italian boy.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment