276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret. [DVD]

£4.995£9.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Sneider, Jeff (April 7, 2021). "Exclusive: Benny Safdie Joins Rachel McAdams in 'Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret' Movie". Collider. Archived from the original on April 7, 2021 . Retrieved April 7, 2021. D'Alessandro, Anthony (June 15, 2022). " 'Dirty Dancing' Sequel Sets 2024 Release; 'Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret' Heads To Pre-Summer 2023". Deadline. Archived from the original on July 20, 2022 . Retrieved June 15, 2022. Blume’s novel featured a half-Jewish, half-Christian protagonist who was questioning the existence of God while awaiting salvation via the arrival of her period, and eager to start wearing a bra. These preoccupations come to touchingly radical life in Fremon Craig’s funny-sad adaption, where entire minutes of footage are devoted to Margaret Simon (the remarkable Abby Ryder Fortson) trying on an absorbent pad or investigating different ways to sport a bra when her body does not require one. Judy Blume's books – more than 25 novels for children and adults – are often celebrated for their openness about sex, menstruation, bullying and other teenage concerns, but if this was their sole strength, it's doubtful people would feel as deeply about them as they do. Her books are often about young people getting to know themselves and learning how to navigate the world, written with sensitivity, compassion and an acute understanding of the things teenagers worry about. Critics praised the film for being a faithful adaptation of the book while also fleshing out its adult characters. Pete Hammond of Deadline Hollywood described the film as a "rip-roaring, funny, human, wonderful studio movie comedy you might have forgotten Hollywood knew how to make anymore", and praised the film's cast, Craig's direction, and the decision to leave the story set in the 1970s, as the original novel did. [22] Hammond pointed out how "every character in this film is finding there is much to learn in life at whatever point you happen to be." [22] Time called Fortson "marvelous" and said she "[captures] all of Margaret's eager earnestness". [23] Writing for Jezebel, Rodlyn-mae Banting said the "film adaptation comes as a gift—one that fiercely advocates for the beauty of girlhood in all of its agonizing, terrifying, but absolutely exhilarating glory." [24] Amy Nicholson of Variety said "There’s plenty in [the film] to treasure" and "the [girls'] friendship scenes are standouts", but opined the film also "seems uneasy putting funny, flawed and all-too-realistic Margaret on screen exactly as she is." [25] Accolades Award

Lewis, Hilary (October 24, 2023). " 'Past Lives,' 'A Thousand and One' and 'All of Us Strangers' Top Gotham Awards Film Nominees". The Hollywood Reporter . Retrieved November 14, 2023. At the beginning of the school year, Margaret's teacher, Mr. Benedict, gives the class a year-long research assignment. When he learns Margaret dislikes religious holidays, she explains that since her mother is a Christian and her father is Jewish, her family does not observe the holidays and has left it up to Margaret to decide on her own religious identity as she grows older. Fortson says it is natural to be curious. "I think Margaret figures that out as well, and I think she has all these people in her life telling her, you have to be this, you have to use this label. But I think it's really her journey that she finds out she can just believe in what she believes in, and she doesn't really need to listen to the other people telling her what to do."The film shows Margaret experiencing what it feels like to wear a pad. "We had to represent the truth of it in all its specificity," she says. "You're walking around with a little diaper on. It's such an odd feeling. How do you represent that as honestly as possible?"

The film was released on VOD on June 6, 2023, with a Blu-ray and DVD release that followed on July 11, 2023. [17] Reception Box office N'Duka, Amanda (March 2, 2021). "Kathy Bates Joins 'Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret' Adaptation At Lionsgate". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on March 2, 2021 . Retrieved March 2, 2021. Banting, Rodlyn-mae (April 26, 2023). " 'Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret' Takes the Messiness of Girlhood Seriously". Jezebel. Archived from the original on May 7, 2023 . Retrieved May 8, 2023. The film isn't the first screen adaptation of Blume's work. There's a 1978 television movie of her 1975 novel Forever – very unmistakably a product of the 1970s – and a 2013 film version of Tiger Eyes, co-written by Blume and her son Larry, who also directs. But Margaret, arguably the most beloved of her books, had never been filmed before Blume entrusted it to Craig and her mentor, director James L Brooks (Terms of Endearment, Broadcast News). D'Alessandro, Anthony (January 31, 2022). "Lionsgate Dates Feature Adaptation Of Judy Blume's 'Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret' For Fall". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on January 31, 2022 . Retrieved January 31, 2022.Plemmons, Mark (May 28, 2021). "Friday Five: Big stars in Concord?". Independent Tribune. Archived from the original on May 28, 2021 . Retrieved May 28, 2021. When Margaret and her mom eventually find themselves in a bathroom under similar circumstances, the crying is of a different variety. It’s all terribly scary, yes, but in Blume and Fremon Craig’s hands, growing up is also heart-stoppingly beautiful. In February 2021, it was announced that Abby Ryder Fortson would star as the titular Margaret, with Rachel McAdams cast as her mother. [8] Kathy Bates was added to the cast in March. [9] In April, Benny Safdie joined the cast. [10] The film also shares an honest quality with Blume's book. It's still rare, for example, to see a character putting on a sanitary pad on screen. They're usually a source of horror comedy, if seen at all. "That scene was electric to film," says Craig, "It felt like we were throwing off shame and embarrassment."

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment