276°
Posted 20 hours ago

QI: The Book of General Ignorance - The Noticeably Stouter Edition

£4.995£9.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I haven't read the original book (this one contains more facts) but they do a great job of marking the new chapters to let readers of the previous easily tell if they've read it before (the chapter is clearly marked with "new entry!"). Response to the book has been mostly positive, both critically and commercially. Critic Jennifer Kay said, " The Book of General Ignorance won't make you feel dumb. It's really a call to be more curious." [18] Liesl Schillinger in The New York Times praised the book for gathering "so much repeatable wisdom […] in one place," asking the rhetorical question of interested parties—"In the Information Age, can you afford to remain ignorant of these precious factoids?" [19] As an extra added bonus for fans of the show, there are snippets of dialogue from various episodes, which are generally funny and sometimes howlingly so. Marcus Berkmann drew attention to the over-abundance of similarly themed books (to which the QI title—and series—clearly owe a certain debt), commenting that:

Illustrated Guide to Quality Improvement - Quality An Illustrated Guide to Quality Improvement - Quality

It will whet even the sports refusenik’s curiosity because all human life is here: the rise of civilization, psychology, war, money, substance abuse, success, loss, redemption and even Bhutanese archery. It’ll be an absolutely winning Christmas read." Grimes, William (30 November 2007). "Reading Fun Before Frosty Melts Away, and After". The New York Times . Retrieved 4 February 2008. a b Garrett, Kirsten (12 March 2007). "The Book of General Ignorance (review)". ABC Radio National . Retrieved 10 February 2008.a training tool for 119 agents to familiarise themselves with the various booking journeys so they can support the public

The Team | QI

Designed to intrigue sports fanatics and casual watchers alike, the book will reveal what David Attenborough has to do with yellow tennis balls, why Victorian doctors feared the outbreak of ‘bicycle face’; what led ancient Egyptian athletes to have their spleens removed and much more."

See Some of our products

This book is just fun to read, alone or with your spouse or friends. And it broadens your horizon. Even if you don't plan on attending a trivia-gameshow anytime soon, your newly acquired knowledge will be beneficial when the need for smalltalk arises. [21] Ptaszynski and Harkin are senior researchers, writers and script editors for the BBC’s "QI", and two-fourths of the "No Such Thing As a Fish" podcast. Between them, they have authored 13 books with the "QI" Elves and toured shows across the world. Davies, Alan; Lloyd, John; Mitchinson, John (5 October 2006). QI: The Book of General Ignorance. Faber and Faber. pp.xv. ISBN 0-571-23368-6. A book of the show has become all but necessary, if only to allow us to ingest this information at normal brain speed, and because such fine and creative research genuinely deserves to be captured in print. So it's slightly disappointing that the book arrives in the question-and-answer format made so familiar by last year's big hit Does Anything Eat Wasps? There are actually about 20 such books out this year, all asking these quirky questions (Do Sheep Shrink in the Rain? Do Fish Drink Water?), all piled up in Waterstones, making book-buyers feel a bit depressed. [24] And if you're a fan of the show, possibly the best bit of the book- at the end of some (not all, I'm guessing it's the chapters of the facts that have been discussed on the program) of the chapters, there are quotes from various panelists that will have you laughing out loud!

Book of General Ignorance (A Quite Interesting Book) The Book of General Ignorance (A Quite Interesting Book)

Hassan commented: "Anna’s and James’ book is as joyful and fact-filled as you’d expect from the QI Elves but the storytelling is utterly involving and entertaining too. You’ll be rooting for a Taiwanese tug of war team, be outraged by croquet skullduggery, admire the audacity of sporting history’s greatest cheats and discover the pure delight that is Puppy Bowl. Mitchinson, John; Lloyd, John (5 October 2006). QI: The Book of General Ignorance. Faber and Faber. pp.xv. ISBN 0-571-23368-6. This book is for people who know they don't know a lot." reviewed by Aileen Marshall. Accessed 10 February 2008

Q-Book Features

I'm sure there must be folks out there who hate random snippets of knowledge and don't care who actually invented the telephone, why geese were once thought to be a kind of fish or even a vegetable, whether one can die by eating too many potatoes, what Richard Gere's middle name is, or which nation consumes the most Spam. But in all honesty, I don't know why any of them would buy this book. While most episodes are structured around a theme topic beginning with the Series' initial letter (each Series is alphabetically structured, with Series 5 being "E", etc.), "General Ignorance" contains questions on a range of diverse subjects, linked only by common misunderstanding. Occasionally the round differs, in particular during the Christmas specials. During the course of the "B" Series special, Fry and Davies swapped places for "General Ignorance", with Fry attempting to answer questions ostensibly written by Davies to stump him. [15] During "D"s Christmas Special, all the "GI" questions revolved around saints. [16] Structure [ edit ] Harkin and Ptaszynski added: "At the end of the day, it’s a book of two halves, and we’re over the moon to have had the chance to write both of them. We always gave 110%, and we couldn’t have done it without the team at Faber, who really brought their A-game.

National Booking Service - NHS Digital

an appointment management system for staff working at vaccination centres and community pharmacies offering coronavirus and flu vaccinations - Q-Flow It's also true that a lot of the facts rely on fake questions or answers that rely on technicalities. For every few questions that's like "What's the driest place on Earth?" which is followed by a suitably surprising yet factually correct answer - a logical pairing of straight question and straight answer - there's a question that misleads you or an answer that feels rather smug; the QI equivalent of saying "Which hand is the 10p coin in?" when it is, in fact, in neither hand (or as this book would have it, "It's not actually a coin because..." or "These aren't actually hands because...")Doug Brown reviewed the book for Powell's Books, noting that it has a "UK-heavy emphasis", and that "Overall The Book of General Ignorance is a lot of fun, and you're guaranteed to learn something you didn't know (but thought you did)." [20] As I didn't have the earlier, slimmer, version of this book I have no complaints about a re-hash or being cheated. Anyone buying this book will get exactly what they expect and almost all will be delighted by that. I was! There was very, very, little in this book that I already knew and the real frustration is that, after every new fact, I thought "Wow, I'll remember that!" when, in reality, I can remember almost nothing. Kay, Jennifer (30 July 2007). "Everything You Think You Know Is Wrong". San Francisco Chronicle. Archived from the original on 11 January 2008 . Retrieved 1 August 2007. Berkman's complaints, however, are countered by his admission that "this book is already the amusing trivia success of the season," containing many "eye-watering" and "eyebrow-raising" facts, even if he thinks it a little smug. [24] As well as correcting these "all-too-common" mistakes, the book(s) attempt to explain how the errors have been perpetuated, and why people believe incorrect 'facts' to be true. [4] Publication history [ edit ]

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment