276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Minion Games Dead Men Tell No Tales Core Game

£12.915£25.83Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Yet, as fun as it is (and I love the cannons), I wouldn’t call it an essential expansion. There’s already so many moving pieces in the base game that unless you’re reallyfamiliar with Dead Men Tell No Tales, adding The Kraken can push the experience over the line from hectic to outright too much to enjoy. After giving Dead Men Tell No Tales a few plays, I could definitely see an influence from some older cooperative games. Dead Men Tell No Tales feels like a mix of Pandemic and Flash Point: Fire Rescue. And that’s not a bad thing. Both are good co-op games that have their own hits and misses. Lastly, what happened to Jeff Petersens “Family of Gamers” series? This was something I was going to start on BGG and still might. My problem revolves all around the resources required to maintain a blog like that. Walk: Move to an adjacent room. If the room has a higher fire level than the room you’re leaving, you take the difference in fatigue. Work together to overcome fire, skeleton crew, and your own fatigue in this cooperative strategy game!

At the start of a player’s turn, they search the ship. Searching involves drawing the top tile from the pile and adding it to the ship. Doors must be placed in a logical manner, and a token is drawn from the bag and added to the tile. A die is also placed on the tile (usually starting at a specific number) to represent the fire level of the room. A player can take 5 actions on their turn and may repeat the same one. Even though Dead Men Tell No Tales seems to borrow concepts from those games, I still feel like it’s different enough to stand on its own. One mechanic I really enjoy is the way the fire is handled. Each room has a die that signifies its fire level. If that die ever reaches six, the room explodes while destroying everything in it. Furthermore, the fire in all adjacent rooms are increased by one. Some rooms even have powder kegs that will explode on a lower number. Players will have to manage their fatigue level, if it gets too high, they can die. The goal of the game is to find and recover all the loot tokens from the ship. This will be anywhere from 4-6 tokens depending on difficulty level and player count.Search The Ship –The first/current player takes one board tile known as a “room tile” and places it face up making sure the doors shown are aligned with doors on the existing room tiles. The room tile will have a red or yellow die showing a side with a number of pips, a matching die is then drawn and placed on the square on the tile with the image of the die. Next a token is drawn from the bag and placed in the room just added to the board. If the final room tile placed has a door not connecting to any other room then you have a second exit with which to escape the ship –“GAAAARGH!” My favorite aspect of the components has to be the artwork. From the inferno on the ship tiles to the well drawn pirate cards, I found the artwork to be both thematic and engaging. The artwork was not only visually pleasing to look at, but also done in a way where it doesn’t interfere with actually playing the game. Props to illustrator Chris Ostrowski on a job well done!

Final Score: 4 Stars – A fun romp through a burning ship that combines a lot of solid mechanics with some challenging gameplay. Take Pirate Actions –With the exception of Lydia Lamore who has six, each Pirate has five action tokens that are spent to resolve actions. If enough treasure tokens have been destroyed (due to room explosions) that you can’t meet the game’s goal. Since the artwork is so busy, it’s not as easy as I would like to identify where doors are. To solve for this, there are two blue pips printed on either side of the door to help identify, but even they can get lost in the busy artwork. I do love how thematically illustrated Dead Men Tell No Tales is and the artwork serves the function, just not as well as it could. With all those demands on a player’s actions, it really made me enjoy how there are quite a few ways to lose. This forces players to balance out their actions and not just focus on a few. I’ve lost Dead Men Tell No Tales in a couple of different ways, this game can really keep you on your toes, especially at the harder levels. Players can freely swap out items cards (for an action) on their turn.Trapped – If players ever need to place a new Room Tile but there aren’t any available doors to connect it to, they are considered trapped and lose the game. Dead Men Tell No Tales ended up being a fun cooperative board game that’s already made it to our tabletop a few times. Because there are so many things to do in the game, I feel like it almost has a puzzle nature to it. The game is not easy to win and will definitely offer up a challenge. Expect to lose this one in the beginning, especially when playing on the harder difficulty levels. Where would you rank this game among the other top pirate games? OHhhhhh do I smell a top 10 Pirate game article? To summarise, ultimately I think for a game to be worth buying everything else can be ignored if the following two criteria are met, did I have fun when I played it? And do I want to play it again? If both those are a yes then its worth time and money invested into it. Final Thoughts

DMTNT has a wide audience, it is a co-operative game aimed at families over the age of thirteen and heavier gamers alike. The game is well designed boasting a lot of common mechanics that are easy to understand by both audiences but, the combination creates a depth and difficulty that provides an enjoyable challenge to frequent game enthusiasts. This is helped by a well written rule book and great artwork. Although it doesn’t state this to be a solo game, the game can be easily adapted by the solo gamer simply playing the role of more than one pirate. How To Play Dead Men Tell No Tales is a cooperative board game for 2-5 players that plays in about 60 minutes. Dead Men Tell No Tales plays best with 3-4 players. Game Overview: Klenko is an independent designer whose past work include dexterity games Fuse and Flipships, along with espionage strategy title Covert and the compact Pandemic experience Rapid Response. In my opinion this game is definitely worth a buy if the type of game you’re looking for is a deep co-op experience that can be played in under an hour and thirty minutes, that has the depth and complexity to be more than a gateway game but, not so heavy it takes a whole evening or weekend to play. In my opinion one of the biggest justifications I look for with games is re-playability and this has it in abundance. No two games ever feel the same and the strong player interaction really promotes the feeling of a true co-operative experience, something that isn’t always guaranteed. The studio said it will not be touching the rules for the base game, instead focusing its resources on a broad art pass aimed at updating most major elements - tokens, ship pieces, player boards and cards among them. Senior producer Dan Bokanowski mentioned in a BoardGameGeek thread that the reprints will also slightly change the shape of the box to a larger square, add fire and explosion tokens from the expansions into the base game and - perhaps most exciting to players - swapping the pirate meeples for the miniatures that were originally in a separate expansion.Do you and your crew have what it takes to make off with all of the treasure and live to tell the story? Or are you going down with the ship in Dead Men Tell No Tales? To win the game, players must find all the treasure tokens and remove them from the ship and escape. BGG has a voted age of this game to 8+. Do you feel this to be an accurate age rating or is that swayed by the fact that it is coop and someone can provide input? The actions don’t seem to be too complicated but they never do on the surface. The depth of a game is where the 10-12 age group has a harder time understanding. They see the surface and that’s as far as they get. As much fun as we had playing Dead Men Tell No Tales, it still can fall into the same pits as other cooperative board games. Namely having to deal with an alpha player directing the game. There is nothing that can stop that in the game, but you know your gaming group better than anyone, so if this is a regular problem within your group, be forewarned. Fight Fires-The active Pirate reduces the value of the fire die in their room by one point for each action point spent on this action. If the die is lowered to below one pip, the fire is extinguished and the die is removed from that room.

Increase your battle strength – adds numbers to your strength which can be used on top of die rolls during battles We recently reviewed Atlantis Rising, which replaced Pandemic in our collection on the basis that we found worker placement a more interesting primary game mechanic than set collection. I find myself pleasantly surprised to say that Dead Men Tell No Tales will be sitting right next to Atlantis Rising in the WMTG game collection. I really enjoy the sense of exploration and discovery while rushing through the ship. There’s a constant sense of rising danger that can only be reduced with effective teamwork. Dead Men Tell No Talesis a co-operative game in the ‘ Pandemic‘ style. Players have a character with a special ability and on their turn they use a set number of actions to try and minimise chaos on the board, which is the result of a burning ship with spawning enemies. At the end of each turn, the fire worsens based on the flip of a card.The Kraken Expansion introduces some new mechanics, using the fantastic Kraken miniature, with all of its tentacles, as well as introducing a new playable character to the game.Dead Men Tell No Taleswas always a challenging co-operative game, so let’s find out whether the Kraken adds difficulty or just some new flare to the game. The Kraken GameplayHighly repayable! Variable ship layout, seven playable characters, variants to increase difficulty. Any actions not used can be given to the next player for them to use on their turn. After all players have taken their turns all actions are returned to each player meaning at the start of each new round every pirate starts with their full action allocation unless a card or penalty instructs otherwise. Today we are going to be looking at Dead Men Tell No Tales, a cooperative board game published by Minion Games. In Dead Men Tell No Tales, players take on the roles of a rough and tumble pirate crew trying to loot a sinking, burning ship. Does Dead Men Tell No Tales provide enough entertainment to keep its head above water in this crowded genre? Time to find out.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment