276°
Posted 20 hours ago

How to Rule the World: A Handbook for the Aspiring Dictator

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

When Flo-Jo won the 200m silver at the 1984 Olympics, Young was still a 110m hurdler and a triple jumper. By the 1988 Olympics, where she set an Olympic record in the 100m and a world record in the 200m, Young was concentrating on the 400m hurdles – an event in which Edwin Moses had set the gold standard with Olympic golds in 1976 and 1984. (The US boycotted the Moscow Games).

If the following statements make sense to you, congratulations! You have purged the poison of modernity from your brain, and are breathing the clean, pure air of traditionalism. So nRx (as an internet ideology) is dead, as far as I can tell. Which is fine with me, because what is needed is a movement that is neither “neo” nor “reactionary.” That being said, many self styled nRx thinkers were quite perceptive about a number of things, and I generally found them to be sincere, intelligent people with a decent grasp of both the extent of societal problems and the general path forward. We need to do away with romanticising matriarchal power and dominance – and instead question the ways we can change the problematic and dangerous power structures that operate within society today. Last year, for example, the G8 leaders announced that they were determined to achieve the goals of the Kyoto protocol limiting climate change and that they would preserve and strengthen the anti-ballistic-missile treaty.I don’t think anything would change if women had the power. For me, this comes from the idea that men and women are very alike and very equal. I don’t think the notion of empathy or being nice depends ongender at all, because if you consider women to be so much nicer, in a way that’s to say they’re like nice little animals that can’t get angry, and that anger is something for men.

It is often the unseen women, the executives, who have an opportunity to mobilise and encourage other women. Four inspirations from my own career: Clare Hollingworth, the woman who got the scoop of the century about the outbreak of the second world war. I met her when I was deputy editor of the Daily Telegraph, and she assumed I was the editor’s secretary, which amused me. She was a woman of her time, a pioneer rather than a reformer. Marie Colvin, the Sunday Times reporter, was sisterly as well as brave. Genevieve Cooper was deputy editor of the Evening Standard when I joined. I was a 24-year-old single mother and my male boss asked me how I could guarantee that a baby would not interfere with my work. I was so fearful that, when my small son was in hospital, I commuted between his ward and work, inventing excuses to leave the office rather than admit that I had a seriously ill child. Genevieve rescued me. At the Guardian, the late Georgina Henry showed that you could have vision and authority without losing your humanity. She was a top-notch female boss. ‘Oppression will not cease to exist simply because a woman is in charge’ The result: 46.78 seconds, the first sub-47s in history. In other words, the gazelle that Warholm and Benjamin were chasing. Writing in the Guardian last week, Philippe Legrain, a former World Trade Organisation official, argued that world elections to a world parliament are not realistic. "Sixty million Britons would not accept 1,300m Chinese outvoting them." And yet. All my life experience tells me that women do make a difference. In the trade union movement, women leaders have exposed the scandal of sexual harassment, campaigned for equal pay, and made caring responsibilities a workplace bargaining issue. As a result, the lives of millions of women – and men – have changed for the better. Women running the world is neither a utopian nor a dystopian scenario. It really depends on the political thinking that is brought to bear. As women age, our power changes very differently to the way male power changes. As the female leader of a national art museum, I am still highly unusual globally. ‘It would change the presumption there’s someone at home to sort out all the problems’Owen is right about the convoy: focus on home and hearth or to him homesteading and community. He’s a comedian so he plays for laughs but that’s literally his set up to the joke. I got caught up in the laughs and missed the point yesterday. In his pursuit of the one-liner Fischer has a hardline commitment to the purely comic. In a rare moment of unmediated horror, Baxter witnesses a car-bombing in Baghdad and fails to make a quip: “Some things you can’t make a joke about.” It’s only a matter of time, though, he concludes. “It’s the next generation of Iraqi stand-ups who’ll benefit from that material.” And I like working with other women. Being the only woman in a meeting room full of men, however lovely they are, can feel lonely. Whereas watching other women leaders in action inspires, encourages and strengthens me. As a wise woman once told me, the problem is that women tend to underestimate their abilities – whereas too many men overestimate theirs. A false sense of superiority based on gender, race or class is no way to run a cornershop, let alone the country. ‘There will be no sexual assault, no catcalling, no mansplaining’

https://www.cafonline.org/my-personal-giving/long-term-giving/resource-centre/ways-to-give-to-charity So if you really wanted to see whether there is a difference in the way women would rule the world, you would have to have either all-female rulers or a critical mass. But, ultimately, I’m resistant to the idea of lumping us all together on the basis of gender: what about race, class, sexual orientation? Even men I like are fond of saying “women this” or “women that” as if we are all one amorphous mass. I’m instinctively resistant to binaries. Hooray for ambiguity, nuance and complexity. ‘Women are taking their rightful place as equals’ The Ethiopians would have the same number of representatives as the British (and rather more as their population increases). The people of China would, collectively, be 22 times as powerful as the people of the United Kingdom. We acquiesce in this system every time we buy salad from a supermarket (grown with water stolen from Kenyan nomads) or step into a plane to the climate talks in Bonn. I believe that women make more pragmatic decisions and are forward-thinking. They ensure sustainability for future generations. Women at the table will invest heavily in better education, affordable healthcare and access to clean water. Women’s empowerment will produce collateral benefits: LGBTQ rights, indigenous people’s rights, children’s rights, religious freedom. Family-friendly policies will be formulated to enable both parents to enjoy the privileges of parenting. Unfair stereotypes and standards imposed upon men to ensure they fit into an iron scaffold of masculinity will be lifted.The very existence of a global assembly could help to resolve disputes: people often take up arms only because they have no other means of being heard. I suspect, too, that the World Bank and IMF, whose role is to police the debtors on behalf of the creditor nations, would disappear almost immediately.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment