276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The King's Assassin: The Fatal Affair of George Villiers and James I

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

After two years a slave on a ship, Berren enters Kalda in pursuit of Syannis' shadow. Instead he finds mercenary captain Talon, Syannis' brother, who takes on Berren as a soldier. " 'Syannis thinks you killed Radek for him, but you didn't, did you? I see no pride in you at all. Just shame and fear.'" And he's good. The best. Cruel without understanding why, a genius in steel. " Simple instinct, and his had been to kill, because that's what they'd all taught him: Master Syannis, Silvestre, even Tasahre, although she would have wept at what he'd done today." It seems that at least his subconscious is at bay when he fights. " In the fight he's felt Tasahre beside him, watching him, guiding him, moulding his shape and his movements as she'd used to do. Inside he'd felt at peace." This was a very enjoyable series. I enjoyed the progression of the characters and the ending was very cool. Read More The fascinating life story of the Marchioness of Milford Haven, granddaughter of Queen Victoria and ‘walking encyclopaedia’ I find myself in a very odd position in rating the book. While I can’t deny that it’s a solid biography of a fascinating person, I felt that it was hard work: I can’t quite push it up to four stars, despite its intellectual weight and profusion of quotes, of which I feel compelled to approve as a historian. But perhaps that density was the very problem. I felt that I had to read it with one end of the thread constantly in hand, like Theseus, to stop myself from getting lost in the detail. But does that say more about me than about the book? I’d be extremely interested to know how other people found it. Could it be that my brain is beginning to shut down as I approach the brink of middle age? Good heavens, I hope not. I’ve got far too many Russian novels and history books to get through before my intellect dribbles out through my ears… Angus Donald (born 1965 in China [2]) is a British writer of historical fiction. As of 2020, he has released ten novels and three novellas that loosely follow the story of Alan-a-Dale.

Book review: The King’s Assassin: The Fatal Affair of George

Villiers first became a royal favorite in 1615 when he was in his early 20s, and even in van Miereveld’s portrait you can still see why: the seductive eyes, the bold facial features, the inviting lips. James was deeply and obviously smitten, and Villiers’ fortunes prospered accordingly. He began as a cupbearer to the king, a job that was anything but empty ceremony, as Woolley engagingly and accurately conveys: Debbie (23 September 2011). "Interview with Angus Donald author of Outlaw - Barnes & Noble Book Clubs". Bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com. Archived from the original on 10 November 2011 . Retrieved 28 October 2011. Read More Mary Queen of Scots’ secret letters are found - and decoded to reveal her true intentions I hope there is another book coming from this series. Deas is a crafty writer and he keeps me engaged throughout the story. The emotional Berren and him coming to terms with who is is interesting and a little annoying at times. But nothing you cannot get past. I don't think i can give a review without spoilers. So if you want to read these series don't follow my review below XD

NOTHING, really nothing, there is no real plot, no real anything, no one won , no one is happy, I know am not. Read More ‘Deluxe captivity’: newly-unearthed documents reveal Mary, Queen of Scots’ lavish lifestyle

Goodreads Loading interface - Goodreads

intentionally, but parsing the difference between killing and murdering would probably be a bit unwieldy for a book title. I seriously don't remember why I liked the previous two books, starting with Berren a little thief with a harsh life, who was taken by Master Sy to be an apprentice,and what ever events got me to the king's assassin, now about this book.Talon's loyalty to his brother brings Berren to Tethis. The petty rubble of this kingdom of peasants makes Syannis' bloody grudge seem even more petty. " Long ago, someone had built a solid stone house here. Other people had added to it. Someone had started to turn it into a palace and then stopped. Someone else had aimed for a castle instead." Syannis needs Berren as a Bloody Judge, to kill the usurper king Meridian. He has become shrivelled by vengeance, devoid of conscience. " He couldn't look at the thief-taker. So fallen from what he'd been. An idol almost. Everything he'd aspired to be once." It's heart-breaking. There are some little logic miscues here and there - as Berren (and others) really should realize some stuff rather than act sullen and surprise at the bloody finale and the last third of the book covers a lot of time and events in a very condensed "one battle is as another" way, but the book works well and has narrative power with an ending that wraps things up while opening new avenues for the future The heady mix of fear and awe Berren remembered as his apprentice were gone, not a trace of it left. What he saw now both made him feel pity and repulsion."

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment