276°
Posted 20 hours ago

When the Mountains Roared

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Full of adventure, mystery, friendship and family drama, at its heart When the Mountains Roared is a classic animal-rescue story in the vein of Lauren St John. The mountain setting is richly described, drawing readers into the sights and sounds and smells of Ruby’s new home, including snippets of culture and customs local to the area, while Ruby’s emotional journey is powerful and moving. Perfect for anyone who loves wildlife adventures and stories about righting wrongs and doing what you believe in.

We felt Ruby’s heartache at leaving her mum’s orange scarf behind; as she scattered her note into the sea on the journey to India, we felt we were standing right beside her. The children enjoyed all of the characters, but particularly liked the dynamic between Ruby and her new friend, Praveen. Jess has blended so many different emotions into Ruby’s characterisation — grief, loss and wonder. Ruby is forced to navigate this new life, whilst also learning how to let go of her old life. She has to understand that she can enjoy life without her mother being in it, and even though life will never be the same again, that doesn’t mean it won’t be enjoyable and full of wondrous experiences. But no one from the nearby village is willing to go up to the hotel to help. Is the hotel haunted? Is the mountain cursed? Or is it something far more horrible than old wives’ tales? When Ruby's dad uproots her from Australia to set up a hotel in the mountains of India, Ruby is devastated. Not only are they living in a run-down building in the middle of the wilderness surrounded by scorpions, bears and leopards, but Ruby is sure that India will never truly feel like home - not without her mum there.I found the main mystery plot a bit superfluous to be honest and think it would have done better as a fish out of water story - focusing on the main characters winning over the locals and accepting their new life. The loose ends were tied up a bit too easily - especially how the ownership of the hotel worked out, that seemed… convenient. Hello Yellow - 80 Books to Help Children Nurture Good Mental Health and Support With Anxiety and Wellbeing - Ruby’s grandmother also joins her on her trip. I adored Ruby’s grandmother, she made me laugh a lot, and early in the story she smuggles a joey kangaroo onto the ship taking them to India, causing much hilarity. It’s a relief when they all arrive safely: Ruby is the determined daughter who tries to make the most of what life gives her, even when things go wrong or turn dangerous. She loves wildlife and photography. She’s scared of cars, the dark, and falling asleep. Don’t blame her. She has real, striking reasons for her fears.

This is a middle grade book and would be engaging and appropriate for that level. I enjoyed the descriptions of India and it was obvious the author has a lot of affection for India. Unfortunately or maybe fortunately for her, she finds herself having absolutely none of that. As facing yet more domestic and homely upheaval, the whole family – that’s Ruby, Dad, Grandma and Polly (her dog) along with an altogether unexpected animal companion – have to leave Australia in the dead of night whilst evading Dad’s ‘friends’ whom he owes money to.The cover design was a big hit, as the leopard graphic and quotation on the rear created mystery from the outset. Each chapter leads you deeper into the story to a remote Indian village where nature is threatened by humankind. This is quite a sweet story - engaging, entertaining and uplifting. Occasionally, it crosses the line to didactic - it feels a little more preachy than it needs to be. I have no confidence in the dad being able to make a go of anything, he is full of poor judgement and bad decisions. The smuggling supergranny is unbelievable as well. Another wonderful book from Jess Butterworth. I enjoyed running on the roof of the world but when the mountains roared was even more engaging.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment