276°
Posted 20 hours ago

I Could Not Believe It: The 1979 Teenage Diaries of Sean DeLear

£7.995£15.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Figures are shown as a range under WLTP testing measures. The lowest figures refer to the most economical/lightest set of options. The highest figures refer to the least economical/heaviest set of options. Jaguar Land Rover Limited: Registered office: Abbey Road, Whitley, Coventry CV3 4LF. Registered in England No: 1672070

The figures provided are as a result of official manufacturer's tests in accordance with EU legislation with a fully charged battery. For comparison purposes only. Real world figures may differ. CO₂, fuel economy, energy consumption and range figures may vary according to factors such as driving styles, environmental conditions, load, wheel fitment, accessories fitted, actual route and battery condition. Range figures are based upon production vehicle over a standardised route. As one of the “First 50” LA punks, DeLear (“SeanDe” to his friends) was the heart and soul of the city’s “Silver Lake” scene in the 1980s and 90s. Described as “Los Angeles royalty” by the LA Weekly , DeLear collaborated with legends like Kembra Pfahler and Vaginal Davis . He made an unforgettable cameo in the 1989 music video for Tone Loc’s top 10 hit, Funky Cold Medina , delivering the line: “But when she got undressed / it was a big old mess / Sheena was a man.” Blessed with knowledge of himself from a young age, DeLear embraced his desires without judgement or shame, showing just how delectable life can be when you are ready, willing and able to follow your heart’s desires. He walked it like he talked it, without needing to squeeze himself into a box to meet anyone’s expectations of who he was. “Today there is a rush to identify and label yourself,” says Padilla. “But this book is like, just be yourself and you will form. There’s no hurry.” Amid the canon of coming-of-age novels and teen diaries, DeLear’s crisp prose stands on its own. Gloriously unapologetic, DeLear details his sexual adventures with pride. “This is one of the best books I’ve ever read because most queer coming-of-age stories are about being beat up, how much you suffered, and then how you overcame the pain and shame to become your true self,” says Padilla. “This is the first queer coming of age story that is about joy and pleasure. It’s not that he didn’t have adversity; it‘s that he had a really good attitude about whatever he was dealing with.”Now amid all this magic, of course, was her fair share of trials and tribulations. Sean related to me that when her band Glue’s music video for “Paloma” debuted on MTV’s 120 Minutes , a higher-up in programming made a call to make sure that it was never shown again—and how sad. Happy New Year Tony it is now midnight and one second. Well this is my first diary and I will write everything that happens to me in 1979. Will write tonight Bye … Well I am going to bed now so today there was a bitchen earthquake that was 4.6 on the Richter scale. Me and Terry went bowling today and me and Kim got in a fight on the phone. About Ken (fag-it) P. Kim still likes him even though he was going to ask her to go with him but he didn’t. I thought of a name for you, Ty short for Tyler who works at the bowling alley and who I have a crush on madly. I don’t know if he is gay or not but he is so so so so cute cute. Well I am going to go to bed now, so good night. I went to bowling today and we won all four games. I bowled a 143, a 115, and a 143, not bad … I hope my average goes up. We are at Dad’s house right now; I went out tonight. It was a total dud, but one thing I liked was there were a lot of cars and people out on the streets not like in Simi. I was walking home and I met this guy but he was not gay, I asked him and he did not get mad because he was higher than the clouds on coke. But other than him it was a dud. They fixed the hole in the wall at the bowling alley by putting a piece of metal over the hole and welding it. Well, good night.

Welcome A/Z Plan Participant Now you can view exclusive price savings on our Build & Price shopping tool. The figures provided are manufacturer’s estimates and will be replaced with the official EU test figures as soon as they are available. For comparison purposes only. Real world figures may differ. CO₂ and fuel economy figures may vary according to factors such as driving styles, environmental conditions, load, wheel fitment and accessories.It had been mentioned to me by Alice Bag (of the Bags, duh) that Sean was amongst the “First 50”—that seminal group of LA kids who were the first freaks to go to punk shows in Los Angeles and the geniuses of LA punk. Being a total-poser nineties punk I can’t even wrap my head around the dopamine effect of being in the mix when it all felt new—when Sean first started taking the bus out of Simi Valley and going headfirst into the scene for shows in Hollywood. How very frightening and liberating it must have been at the time for her, but of course I think Sean De was way beyond the title “trendsetter”—the word for her is MOTHER , forever, for sure, and for always.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment