276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The C64 Micro Switch Joystick - Clear (Electronic Games)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

On the one hand, it's cool that you can load up BASIC and use the C64 Mini as a functioning (albeit limited) computer. So if a game had for it's controls Q,A,O,P, Space (as fire1) and z(as fire2), you put the plugs in those positions on the grid, and hey presto! The C64 comes with 64 games built in (rather appropriately), giving you plenty to play out of the box. It seems that my all time favorite joystick (Atari) is going on sale again, I hope I can get some units! For example, I was still able to enjoy a lot of these games because – despite my ZX Spectrum leanings – they were similar enough to still conjure me back to my childhood where I played games like Match Day and Bear Bovver endlessly.

Commodore 64 - Lemon64 - Commodore 64 new joysticks - Commodore 64 - Lemon64 - Commodore 64

Since the internal circuit board has exposed solder points for floppy-drive and keyboard ports, hardware modifications of the C64DTV are relatively simple. In use, the joystick feels very stiff and immovable and while your movements will mostly register on screen, it just doesn't feel that way in your hand. I've tried with PS2-controller-to-USB adapter, and a (wired) PS3 controller, which have more than 8 buttons, but no luck at all (people did get these to work on the "TheC64 Mini", so that's also quite peculiar that they don't work on the Maxi).

A charming, half-scale replica, the C64 Mini could be plugged into a modern TV, providing access to 64 games. countermeasure dont like using a directional pad for 64 games too awkward you defo need a stick or a pad with an analogue nub or something,always hated the snes pad it sucked tramps balls imo,best pad ever is the ps4 duelshock feels awesome to hold and urinates on any xbox pad and I loved the 360 one but sony nailed it with the ds4,hope next firmware update enables proper support for it, p.

TheC64 Maxi -- supported alternative joysticks? - Commodore TheC64 Maxi -- supported alternative joysticks? - Commodore

Although it was undoubtedly great to see the ‘mini’ treatment being dished out to a home computer that was big in the UK back in the day, it’s fair to say THEC64 Mini had some fairly major issues (and not just the awkward way it was spelled). That’s no longer an issue here, and now you can easily play keyboard-based games without any hassle, whether they’re full text adventures or simply action games that require you to press various keys to set your options and start the game. Featuring 64 built-in games, the C64 Mini's library is but a mere drop in the ocean compare to the thousands of games that released on the platform. Some of the games in here are even older than me – and that’s saying something – and if you don’t have much experience with early ’80s gaming and may therefore struggle to appreciate these offerings in context, you’re just going to be left with a bunch of truly archaic games that you may find difficult to get into.On top of this, there are no game manuals included, so some of the games are bound to be utterly baffling to those who are unfamiliar with them, or haven't played them for multiple decades.

The C64 Micro Switch Joystick (Electronic Games)

I used to use the KERNAL SCNKEY routine earlier to read keyboard and it worked well with my joystick port 2 code. Apr 25, 2018 20:08:18 GMT fatgit said:Here is list (normalised) of joysticks configured in firmware 1. If you need all that you’re not really the target audience – there are FPGA based complete modern refits of the C64 mainboard that do all you want that will fit in an original C64 case with keyboard, or whatever modern equivalent you care to fit and are compatible with all legacy hardware and have modern video standards like HDMI.

A poster above said the buttons are mapped weird on a PS4 controller - is the same with PS3 controller - have you any success with a wired Xbox controller? The C64 certainly delivers authenticity, but it does so warts and all; it even seemed as if Planet of Death misloaded a couple of times. He's obsessed with smartphones, televisions, consoles and gaming PCs, and has a deep-seated desire to consume all forms of media at the highest quality possible. The paddle pins are in fact able to not just read digital, on/off signals, but values from 0 to 255, because they are each connected to an analog to digital converter on the SID chip.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment