276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Infinity Son: The much-loved hit from the author of No.1 bestselling blockbuster THEY BOTH DIE AT THE END! (Infinity Cycle)

£4.495£8.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I plot pretty extensively to begin with, but that’s especially true for this series because I want to make sure I’m setting myself up for success with the sequels. As for inspiration, the book is a combination of my belief in reincarnation and my love for phoenixes and what life looks like when you discover that your past lives have been villainous and heroic. I grew up on Harry Potter and Charmed and Supernatural and X-Men and those stories really shaped my fantasy sensibilities. Silvera knows all about the thrills and excitement of New York, which gives the setting and characters a striking real-world feel. The polarising characteristics of Brighton and Emil further this discussion, and create authentic conflict between the two, while also opening up a conversation on power and how it affects those striving for it, along their loved ones surrounding them. Balancing epic and intensely personal stakes, bestselling author Adam Silvera's Infinity Son is a gritty, fast-paced adventure about two brothers caught up in a magical war generations in the making.

Infinity Son: The much-loved hit from the author of No.1

Infinity Son is the first fantasy offering from YA author Adam Silvera, whose several popular books include More Happy Than Not and They Both Die at the End. While those novels involve fantastical elements, those elements take second stage to his exploration of the relationships they make possible. (In They Both Die at the End, for example, a service called Death-Cast alerts two teens that they each have only one day left to live. The focus of the story, however, isn’t on trying to thwart fate or uncover how Death-Cast is made possible but on the bond that develops between them during the course of the day.) In Infinity Son, Silvera offers a full-fledged epic fantasy universe, complete with intricate politics, dark secrets, and of course, magic. In your introduction, you talk about your personal experience of coming out a few months after discovering a fantasy novel that featured queer characters. Can you talk about the impact of literature on embracing our identities?

Table of Contents

There are certain instances where Brighton comments on the amount of hits and views he could be getting from certain fight scenes between celestials, which prompts the reader to question his character. This opens up the conversation of someone’s own safety versus their online success, and whether getting the views for a video or post is more important than having a healthy mind set and being present in the moment. I never intended to fully mirror any marginalized community’s experiences, but for anyone who has ever been oppressed for just being, or been blamed for what someone else who shares their identity may or may not have done, I imagine they may relate to what the magical people within this novel are going through. There’s also the issue with pacing throughout the novel. It felt like the majority of high impact plot points were rushed through, while quiet times between characters were stretched out. This could be the author’s attempt to highlight the destructive qualities of power, and the importance of mental health and wellbeing, but at times it felt like this pacing conflicted with certain elements of the novel. Growing up in New York, brothers Emil and Brighton always idolized the Spell Walkers--a vigilante group sworn to rid the world of specters. While the Spell Walkers and other celestials are born with powers, specters take them, violently stealing the essence of endangered magical creatures. Then, in a brawl after a protest, Emil manifests a power of his own—one that puts him right at the heart of the conflict and sets him up to be the heroic Spell Walker Brighton always wanted to be.

Infinity Son: Interview with author Adam Silvera Infinity Son: Interview with author Adam Silvera

Have you always been a fan of the fantasy genre, and if so, what books or authors are your major influences? Neither twin is a Celestial with magic powers. But Brighton wishes he had been born with magic in his DNA, so he could join in the fight against the Spectres. He sees the Spell Walkers as honourable heroes and views his popular YouTube channel as a way of influencing and eventually joining the ranks of the Celestials. A power-hungry human, he sees no problem in chasing danger to achieve what he wants. The first book in the Infinity Cycle series, Adam Silvera’s young adult LGBT fantasy novel Infinity Son (2020) follows two brothers who find themselves at the heart of a magical war and the strain that this conflict puts on their relationship. Critics praise the book for its engaging plot, its complex characters, and its treatment of sibling relationships. Silvera, a New York Times bestselling author, writes for children and teenagers. Speaking openly about his struggles with depression and anxiety, he explores mental health in his books. He is best known for his contemporary novel, They Both Die at the End.

Social media is an integral part of this story, both as a tool and as a weapon. Why did you decide to make it such an important aspect of Infinity Son ? Confused and angry, Emil feels that he doesn’t belong in the family and that he’s endangering their lives. Brighton feels betrayed. He can’t believe that Ma kept such a huge secret from him, and he doesn’t understand why he wasn’t enough for Ma. Emil’s heritage threatens to destroy his close relationship with Brighton forever.

Infinity Son Summary | SuperSummary

With a new threat from the Spectres about to engulf the city, Brighton and Emil are caught up in a scenario where the wrong brother has the power to prevent disaster. Their brotherhood, love and loyalty are put to the test as the twins must confront a potentially destructive situation. Balancing epic and intensely personal stakes, bestselling author Adam Silvera’s Infinity Son is a gritty, fast-paced adventure about two brothers caught up in a magical war generations in the making. This is your first fantasy novel, what made you decide to go in this direction and did you find many differences when writing for this genre? Growing up in New York, brothers Emil and Brighton always idolized the Spell Walkers—a vigilante group sworn to rid the world of specters. While the Spell Walkers and other celestials are born with powers, specters take them, violently stealing the essence of endangered magical creatures. Brotherhood, love, and loyalty will be put to the test, and no one will escape the fight unscathed.One of your inspirations for this story is X-Men , and similar to X-Men, the treatment of celestials and specters often serves as a metaphor. Can you talk about the process of weaving real injustices into your fantasy world? Infinity Son takes place in an alternate New York City. Some people, known as celestials, are born with magical powers. The strongest celestials, Spell Walkers, uphold the law of the magical world. It’s their job to protect celestials from magic thieves known as specters. Specters kill celestials and endangered magical creatures to steal their power, claiming it as their own.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment