276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Sharpe's Command: The latest thrilling adventure from the best-selling master of historical fiction, the perfect gift for Christmas 2023

£11£22.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Sergeant Richard Sharpe is on a routine mission to collect ammunition from a friendly fort when he and his men are abruptly thrown into chaos. The master of historical military fiction delivers another unputdownable entry in the mega-selling Sharpe series as Britannia puts her faith in our maverick hero to defend her troops from French forces in early nineteenth-century Spain. These were A Crowning Mercy, published in 1983, Fallen Angels in 1984, and Coat of Arms (aka The Aristocrats) in 1986. But how he gets there is what made that book “tense” – how will he achieve the very clearly stated goal in the face of several obstacles? We have to fight them off ourselves,’ he said, and wondered if he would have done better to have stayed in the church.

It's clear to me that either Cornwell or his publisher no longer really care about Sharpe, because neither appear to have a continuity checker. Richard Sharpe, the most brilliant – but the most wayward – soldier in the British army, finds himself faced with an impossible task.Sharpe a likeable rogue as ever and it's great to see the switch to a more typical war story after the espionage of Sharpe's Assassin.

Douglas Smith provides rousing scratchboard images for the first illustrated editions of Bernard Cornwell’s enormously popular historical adventures. Yes, it's superfluous because Cornwell's found ten minutes in which Sharpe is otherwise unaccounted for and sent him to do the one thing he's never done in these books (climb a ladder). I think competent enemies could have increased tension in a book that takes place between other books and whose characters' fates are already known.But they're rapidly outnumbered, enemies are hiding in plain sight, and as the French edge ever closer to the frontline, time is running out . In Sharpe’s Command, Sharpe kills Frenchies again, but it is offhandly (and in somewhat unworldly numbers – he’d hardly have achieved a better kill rate if his detachment had been armed with an Bren Gun). Cornwell is best known for his ongoing ’Sharpe’ series, which traces the career of Richard Sharpe in the British Army during the Napoleonic Wars – a series directly inspired by C. Plausible characters and you get a great perspective on the historical background to a lively period. If you haven't read the Sharpe series, you've got to go back and read the preceding 22 to get caught up.

This book at times feels like a novelisation of the TV adaptation and it leaves a lot to be desired. He exists to get dunked on by others and describing him as the primary antagonist is hardly a spoiler as that is clear from the moment of his introduction. Notwithstanding those minor points, the Sharpe books tend to be centred around successful British actions, which make them successful actions for Sharpe.

They’re tons of fun and you don’t have to switch your brain on too much while reading/watching them. The latest thrilling adventure from the best-selling master of historical fiction, the perfect gift for Christmas 2023 --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title. Richard Sharpe and his gang are back in Spain during the Penninsular War, killing Frenchmen and their allies. The battle when it came was well laid out by Cornwell and easy to follow the tactics and flow, and was full of his trademark grittiness that immersed me as if I was there.

He was adopted and brought up in Essex by the Wiggins family, who were members of the Peculiar People, a strict Protestant sect who banned frivolity of all kinds and even medicine. It was fantastic to see Sharpe, Harper, Hagman and Harris, back together with Teresa, Hogan and others. He then joined BBC's Nationwide and was promoted to become head of current affairs at BBC Northern Ireland.I have not read any of the prior works to the present edition, so I am only aware on how the characters performed their roles in this novel. Turncoat and murderer William Dodd, looking to prove himself to his new Indian masters, massacres every last British soldier at Chasalgaon – all save for one.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment