276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Let's Talk About Race

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

White-Lewis, D. K. The Facade of Fit and Preponderance of Power in Faculty Search Processes: Facilitators and Inhibitors of Diversity. (University of California, Los Angeles, 2019). For our part, this is one post in a series highlighting Net Impact’s focus on the issue. I want to thank Yodit, Noah, Bay, Paula, and Chris for adding their perspectives. These friends and colleagues are not only experts in their fields, but also have a wealth of experience working toward racial equity. They shared their stories and beliefs -- and so can you. That’s how we’ll build solidarity. I consider myself blessed to work for a network of progressive, solutions-oriented folks who want to move the dial and I look forward to hearing from more of you. These recommendations require you to understand yourself, others, and the situations at hand. This process brings about empathy, which is a crucial ingredient of meaningful action . My hope is that we all become better equipped to talk about racism and come together to make a positive difference in our communities. If you share that hope, taking action in your own life on any of these points is a great start.

Interview with the author, academic Robin DiAngelo: "We have to stop thinking about racism as someone who says the N-word." Report racial harassment when you experience or witness it. Report + Support is UCL’s dedicated platform for reporting harassment, where you can also access advice and support information. Why I'm no longer talking to white people about race - Reni Eddo-Lodge. A Guardian Long Read, summarising the book of the same name. Podcasts Recent events have shown that race is a topic that has been long overdue. Communities around the world have taken to social media and the streets to protest the unlawful, unjust treatment that occurs to individuals based on race. 2020 is the time for change , and it is important to realize the factors at play. The United States has a deep history of racism and oppression, and while some progress has been made, explicit and implicit racism still exist. Angela Davis said it best when she said, “In a racist society, it is not enough to be non-racist. We must be antiracist”. Deconstructing implicit biases, preconceived notions about race, and working to educate yourself on relevant matters are steps that you can take towards being an active advocate against racial injustice.Sue, D. W. et al. Disarming racial microaggressions: microintervention strategies for targets, White allies, and bystanders. Am. Psychol. 74, 128–142 (2019). Carello, J. & Butler, L. D. Practicing what we teach: trauma-informed educational practice. J. Teach. Soc. Work 35, 262–278 (2015). Why I'm no longer talking to white people about race by Reni Eddo-Lodge. 'Every voice raised against racism chips away at its power. We can't afford to stay silent. This book is an attempt to speak'. UCL’s Let’s talk about Race campaign focuses on race education, increasing reporting of racial harassment and developing anti-racist approaches to change.

It is also time for the government, with another round of gender pay gap reporting due in April, to make ethnicity pay gap reporting mandatory for all employers, especially as the cost-of-living crisis begins to bite. We have produced an action plan for business to help employers navigate this, and with professors have produced some social economic papers by ethnicity group which will also help employers to understand the underlying challenges their employees are grappling with. Take a look at the Regional Insight of Race Factsheet that relates to where you live and work in the UK, start the conversation about the changing national and local picture and agree on targets for your organisation. Speak out against racism and develop the skills to intervene when you witness it. Learn how to be a race ally and build your bystander intervention skills. The passion and commitment to make change from those who supported the programme really shone through and I thank them for their honesty. This is the start of a journey and I have no doubt that the athletics community will hold myself and the senior leaders at UKA and the HCAF’s accountable for the Let’s Talk About Race deliverables.” It is time for employers to sign the Race at Work Charter, set transparent targets to increase representation and progression, capture ethnicity data and to voluntarily publish their ethnicity pay gaps.We are very proud of the work undertaken so far on this having committed to real change within the sport. But agreeing the plan is only the first step. The recommendations will be taken forward as part of our 2021-2024 Diversity Action Plan, and the sport will need to work collectively to make these changes.” Developing a strong understanding of race requires a combination of individual and group learning. We can all accomplish a lot on our own through offline and online resources. Articles, white papers, books, academic studies, webinars, and video series are out there just waiting to be discovered (we've put together a short resource list at the end of this article). There are workshops , conferences, meetups, and casual conversations with friends and colleagues. Those conversations can be tough, but there’s no growth without stretching, as Chris points out: “The best conversations and comprehension can arise from holding past learning up to new ideas or new knowledge.” Lansiquot: Absolutely. Racism isn't something that just existed in 2020. It's always been there. And I've definitely gone through situations in and out of GB kit where I felt less than because of the colour of my skin. And I think what is so great about dealing with such a tragic moment, like what happened with George Floyd, is having the world come together and talk about something that's really uncomfortable. [It] creates this kind of loving and accepting space where you're allowed to talk about this stuff. I think that in the past, I personally felt quite scared to do that. Because you don't want to be put into a box or you don't want people to lash out at you for speaking out. And I do feel like last year, we had this space where people were ready to listen.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment