276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Notes of a Dirty Old Man: Charles Bukowski

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Just like what you see in these poor American movies with actors that should go into retirement instead of making a fool of themselves. As the title suggests, these are notes, and the man penning them is dirty minded and getting on in life. I read for the prose when it comes to this author, so I was very disappointed to find a lack so enormous that I could hardly get through the book. So in a sense Bukowski `celebrates' life and not wholly -wholly- leaves us a portrait of self destruction and nihilism.

Once in a rare lifetime have you ever been in a roomful of people who only helped you when you looked at them, listened to them. It is a life I myself experienced for twenty five years, and at times it is still a preferable life to me than the desensitizing one I may live today. At times, I found the collection sophomoric, as though he were daring me to read on, and read on I did.Baby, in a couple of minutes I'm going to rip off your god damned panties and show you some turkey neck you'll remember all the way to the graveside. But one line from chapter 12 haunts me the most, until chapter 42 and even after I finished the book. He pays respect and champions some of them, and completely berates and slanders others, as I'm sure you'd expect. Bukowski is so unflinchingly honest about everything, so don't read this if you can't handle the truth.

Almost all of the "Notes of a Dirty Old Man" columns have been collected by City Lights Books: Notes of a Dirty Old Man (1969), Erections, Ejaculations and General Tales of Ordinary Madness (1972), Tales of Ordinary Madness (1983), The Most Beautiful Woman in Town and Other Stories (1983), Portions from a Wine-Stained Notebook (2008), Absence of the Hero (2010), More Notes of a Dirty Old Man (2011), The Bell Tolls for No One (2015), and The Mathematics of the Breath and the Way (2018). It is not what I have expected from this book, but I suppose the most beautiful words of Bukowski were found within all the chaos, which makes sense.As I’ve grown older, I still feel that affection, but I am also more cognizant of the moral failings that I once excused and overlooked. The Free Press circulation of nearly 100,000 gave Bukowski the largest consistent audience he would ever have. If he isn't bluffing, he has coasted from a childhood of abuse and hatred to an adulthood of boozing, rape, violence, and laziness, all while maintaining interiority and literary wit. Notes of a Dirty Old Man” is a collection of a column with the same title that Bukowski was writing for an underground newspaper, Open City, starting in 1967. Ma, quando si parla di donne, la visione è più che convenzionale, gli sterotipi di genere sono tutti lì.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment