276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Maigret's little joke

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The choice of Davies to play Maigret was enthusiastically approved by Simenon himself. Remembering the role in a 1964 interview Davies said "When Andrew Osborn, the producer of the show, offered me the part on Good Friday in 1960, I knew very little about Maigret. I knew he was a famous French fictional detective, but that was all." Rather than read the books to get the feel for the character, Davies thought it would be better to meet Maigret's creator and hear from him how he saw the character. The BBC agreed and a meeting was arranged between Davies and Simenon in Lausanne. [4] Ed ecco che i giornali riportano la notizia di un omicidio: la moglie di un eminente medico parigino, Eveline Janve, è stata trovata morta, nuda, dentro un armadio nell’ambulatorio del marito. I sospettati sono subito due, il marito e il collega che lo sostituisce durante le ferie. Ci divertiamo anche noi lettori a risolvere il misterioso omicidio con il commissario, al quale, pur non volendolo ammettere, rode che Janvier occupi la sua stanza e la sua scrivania dove conserva amorevolmente le pipe, e il racconto procede fino alla soluzione del caso, in contemporanea al Quai des Orfevres e al tavolo di un ristorante dove il commissario attende, guardando la finestra illuminata del suo ufficio, che escano i colleghi. Lui conosce minuto per minuto il lavoro che stanno facendo in commissariato: gli interrogatori che si protraggono per ore, estenuanti sia per il sospettato che per il poliziotto, fino a quando il primo non arriva a un punto di svolta, ha un cedimento, confessa. Episodes included such well-known faces as Stratford Johns, Leon Cortez, Terence Alexander, Roger Delgado, William Franklyn, Michael Goodliffe, and Barry Foster, among others. [2]

On Sunday, February 9, 1969, BBC One London aired Maigret at Bay as part of its series BBC Play of the Month. [8] This feature-length movie was based on the 1964 novel Maigret Defends Himself ( Maigret se défend), and featured Rupert Davies, Helen Shingler, and Neville Jason reprising their series roles of Commissaire Maigret, Madame Maigret, and Lapointe, respectively. [9] Episodes [ edit ] After books and books in which we see the active Maigret, Monsiuer Le Commissaire Maigret, always in the front line, always solving crimes with his brilliant genius, his piercing eye and his great expertise, here we have Maigret the slueth, Maigret the secret informer, who send anonymous messaeges to Janvier graciuosly and respectfully leading him to the brilliant conclusion of a difficult case. And yet... Take this book for instance. Here we have M. Maigret, finally on vacation. He decides to spend hs free time in his Paris, with hi wife, rediscovering his town with the eyes of a tourist. OF COURSE there has to be a murder while he is on vacation, an investigation he cannot and does not want to follow, honouring his loyalty to his younger colleague, Janvier.I love the way Maigret lives in this comforting homely world with his wife on the one hand and then as a detective enters a world where sex and violence are common place. I need to read this in French. The edition I read was translated by one Dennis Brain, and I'm afraid he could have done with an independent and bilingual proofreader. He fell victim to the translator's pitfall of producing a very literal translation that reads like an unpolished rough draft. If you run your hand over it you can feel the original French underneath; clunky syntax and phrases that sound unnatural in English--because they are. I'm a translator myself, I recognise the problem. Fortunately when I was working at the job I had a skilled bilingual proofreader to hand who enjoyed the work. Brain apparently did not, and more's the pity. With a little proofreading and tightening, it could have been a very enjoyable read. Ho fatto ambarabaciccicoccò ed ho scelto un libro a caso. Poiché volevo divertirmi la mano si è fermata su "Maigret si diverte". Penso sia stata una scelta fortunata. A re-read of Maigret's Little Joke, now renamed. A novel of Simenon's love of Paris, as Maigret and his wife holiday in Paris and explore its streets and restaurants. My previous review:

Unlike most BBC series produced in the 1960s, all episodes (bar the pilot) have survived intact, and are available as a complete set on DVD and Blu-ray. The series starred Rupert Davies as the Police Judiciaire detective Commissaire Jules Maigret, who took up the role in 1960 after Basil Sydney, who had played Maigret in the pilot episode, was unable to continue. [1] Maigret is called to the home of Armand de Saint-Hilaire, a highly respected official who has been found shot dead in his study by his housekeeper. After interviewing everyone concerned Maigret is at a loss to the identity of the perpetrator until he comes across a series of letters from the past fifty years between the victim and a recently widowed woman. As Maigret uncovers the details behind the two's relationship he gets closer to discovering the tragic truth behind the official's demise. In May 2021, Network Distributing announced the Blu-Ray release of the series (to be released August 2021), with a DVD release soon to follow. [12]The moment Simenon saw me he shouted: " C'est Maigret, c'est Maigret. You are the flesh and bones of Maigret!" Davies later remembered. "That was a wonderful beginning. Then he drove us to his lovely château in the village of Échandens, where I met his wife. Later he began to coach me in Maigret's idiosyncrasies." [4] The final episode of all, ending the 4th series, and it was a fitting, excellent show. Following on from the previous episode, which saw Torrance murdered, and Maigret shot, this one referred to the murderer's execution, AND the (much-delayed?!) promotion of trusty assistant Lucas to Inspector (though Maigret & his wife both referred to him as Sergeant, after all those years!). Maigret doesn't want to interfere, but cannot resist to passionately follow the affair via parisian press which is reporting every twist and turn in the investigation, even conducting some inquiries on its own. Of course, he has his own ideas about what should be done and at whom should the invetigation focus... No sooner has Maigret started enjoying his holiday, when a sensational murder occurs involving two doctors. The updates on the murder are splashed through various daily newspapers and Maigret just can't contain himself. He has promised not to get involved but he can't help himself and starts playing detective and following the murder based on the information provided by the newspapers. Too many times Maigret has missed his holidays as important cases have cropped up and he doesn't get away until midway through the third week of his 3 week break, always much to Mme Maigret's chagrin and disappointment. This time however his friend M. le Docteur has told him he needs to take all 3 weeks and needs to relax.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment