276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Heavier Than Heaven: The Biography of Kurt Cobain

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Cobain's mother, Wendy, filed for divorce in 1976, but the couple's marital troubles actually began to increase in ferocity as early as the second half of 1974. At that time, Cobain’s father Don changed jobs to work as a clerk for a company, earning less than he did at the gas station. The couple often argued about having to borrow money to pay the bills, and Wendy eventually filed for divorce due to financial problems. urn:lcp:heavierthanheave0000cros_m3u0:epub:eaf8a05b-db44-453b-a8e9-62b1810f9f69 Foldoutcount 0 Identifier heavierthanheave0000cros_m3u0 Identifier-ark ark:/13960/t57f29w6v Invoice 1652 Isbn 0786865059 It was clear Cross had much interaction with the Nirvana frontman during his rise to fame but I was eager to find out what kind of relationship he had with Cobain. “Even as his biographer and someone who knew Kurt, I wasn’t his best friend. And I was editor of a music magazine. We were always gonna have the kind of relationship where he was gonna be sort of suspicious. He clearly respected what I did. I had the benefit of a biographer of going through Kurt’s personal effects and things. He kept copies of my magazines and articles that I had done among his stuff. That, I guess, is the ultimate compliment that a music star could pay a journalist. So, I was respected in the world he was in”. I finished reading the biography of Kurt Cobain, Heavier Than Heaven written by Charles Cross, just in time for what would have been his 41st birthday. My conclusion?Kurdt (that’s how he liked to spell it) was a jerk! Charles R. Cross heeft zich voor zijn boek gebaseerd op meer dan 400 interviews en had inzage in massa's authentieke documenten, waaronder correspondentie en dagboeken van de zanger. Hoe hij uit die verscheidenheid aan bronnen zo'n consistent en uitgebalanceerd verhaal kon puren, is mij een raadsel. En hij doet dat zonder enig waardeoordeel, maar eerder als een bevoorrechte getuige, een verslaggever, een onzichtbare toeschouwer. Tussen de grote verhaallijnen en gebeurtenissen door geeft hij een schat aan anekdotes, petites histoires en citaten mee, waardoor het verhaal letterlijk geen seconde verveelt. Enkel op het einde, in het laatste hoofdstuk ( "Een hiernamaals als dat van Leonard Cohen, april 1995 - mei 1999) verandert de toon, wordt hij wat (melo-)dramatisch en gaat hij soms kort door de bocht. Wat jammer is, maar na meer dan 400 pagina's leesplezier vergeef je dat de auteur maar al te graag.

That’s exactly what Courtney Love screamed as she waded her hands in the blood of her beloved dead husband and saved a piece of his shotgun shattered skull. His suicide was simply a pattern that he had repeated his whole life since his mother left his father when he was 7 years old. Before that event, he was a little boy that didn’t want to sleep because he didn’t want to leave his family. After that, he was a self-destructing, relationship sabotaging jerk. Cross drew on 400 interviews with close friends, family members, bandmates and others to write the book, he also conducted a painstaking review of Cobain's unpublished diaries, hundreds of music recordings, lyrics, and family photographs. High levels of fieldwork and four years of writing went into producing this biography.A fascinating read that manages to be respectful . . . and also critical. The short, unhappy life of Kurt Cobain now has its worthy biographer. As the band's fame grew, so did the pressure on Cobain. In the face of so much attention on him, he became increasingly uneasy. His stomach problems and drug addiction grew more serious as he got more famous. Courtney's pregnancy temporarily lifted Cobain’s spirits. For the sake of the baby, he found a doctor to help him get clean and later went to the hospital. But Cobain struggled, repeatedly alternating between rehab, relapse, and then rehab again. More often, he had to take drugs to get rid of his painful stomachaches.

Since this biography was writen based in interviews (Dave Grohl and Kurt's mother notably stayed out), there is a lot of subjectivy here. Sometimes, I think the author took too much liberties in his assumptions. This phrase is not idiomatic and, as such, its meaning is going to be open to quite a bit of interpretation. As your question (and the comments) note, there are two distinct phrases here: David Benioff was hired by Universal Pictures in October 2007 to write a screenplay based on the Charles R. Cross biography. [5] Courtney Love was to serve as executive producer with Marc Forster showing interest in directing. [6] However, in March 2009, Forster said that he was not going to direct the film but expressed hopes that it would be done well. [7] In 2014, it was reported that the film was still going ahead. [8] [9] However, as of 2023 there is no news on whether or not the movie will be released. That's just one reason why this book about The Voice of Your Generation is valuable: it's proof that no one is born punk or even cool, but that it's an attitude one accrues by hanging around the right crowd. That's why the real heroines here aren't named Courtney but first girlfriend Tracy Marander and Bikini Kill drummer Tobi Vail, from whom KC learned most of his sexual politics.

Work Cited

Cobain and Hendrix had many things in common- they both were left-handed guitar players, both died at 27, had four-year musical careers and had battled drug addiction. They also both lived in Seattle, a city with one of the most notable music scenes in the world. I asked Cross if he felt enough had been done to honour both men in Seattle. “The answer is no. The city should honour them more. In the UK, they’ve got their blue plaques; we should have something like that here”.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment