276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Sennheiser HD58X Open Back Professional Jubilee Headphones - Black

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Out of the box, clamping force is very strong so use them for a couple days before returning them (they feel a lot better after a week or so) As with the HD6XX, the high frequency of the HD58X could be a bit more intense. It avoids the sibilants very well and has a good resolution, but I see some quality advantages with the HD6XX, which are not decisive. In comparison, the lower trebles are a bit more reduced, so that the upper mids are more effective than on the HD6XX. The sound signature of the Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee can be described as clear, fast, dynamic and lively, sharing similar characteristics with the Sennheiser HD 600 and the HD 650 headphones. A clean, extended bass response is combined with a smooth and clear upper midrange. The fit is still north of snug (read: it can feel like a vice grip at first), but does open up over time. The 58X may actually be better because it has that spicy flavor that makes the film more lively and engaging.

Massdrop x Sennheiser HD58X Jubilee Review : r/headphones Massdrop x Sennheiser HD58X Jubilee Review : r/headphones

Now, I am going to compare the HD 58X to 3 other headphones which are HD 650, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm and my old HD 598SE. I’ll be making the comparison a bit easier to read by indicating the superior earphone/earbuds with “<” or “>” or “=” (when they’re equal). So here we go! Very easy, this is just an amazing recommendation for anyone wanting to get their first pair of audiophile headphones for under 200 dollars. There a few minors flaws but considering the price, it's okay Despite the open design of the HD58X, the stage does not set any standards and moves on the same (good) level of the HD6XX with slight subjective advantages in all directions on the side of the HD58X, which certainly creates more tension, but is only a nuance. Mids are sharp, very nice to listen to, the lows go really low and the highs are crisp but the overall sound is still non-fatiguing, I can use these headphones for hours without any problem. I come from a Sennheiser Momentum (Over-Ear 2.0) which has a slightly warm but very faithful sound IMO.It’s probably a slightly above-average choice here all things considered. Soundstage, Gaming, and Film Compared to HD-650, the HD58X was noticeably louder so direct comparison was not possible. I was too lazy to set up dual headphone amps & DACs (to EQ each separately) with volume matching for this review. Will do that for future ones. the sound signature may be more appealing and accessible to the average person who knows absolutely nothing about the audiophile hobby and prefers more bass out of their experience. There are certainly better headphones that resolve more (at higher or much higher prices), but these are good especially considering the aggressive price. It's a headphone that sounds good (not excellent), and suits general use with music, gaming, watching youtube. I don’t know what foreign realm of unrealism you’ve entered our atmosphere from, but the HD58X is far from having any soundstage. I’ll admit you are right about them having a smidgen more than the HD600, but they neither sound out-of-head, nor spacious. They sound congested, narrow, and bland. Imaging is also not a strongsuit. The entire Sennheiser lineup suffers that same truth with the exception being the HD800’s, so they’re certainly not holographic.

Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee review - SoundGuys

One difference you’ll notice here vs. others in the line is the bass; there’s more of it for sure, but it’s still not over the top. Also, due to this tight fit, the headphones won’t come of your heads like the HD 598SE does! So, you won’t have any type of fit issues like you had with the HD 598SE (where if you even sneezed, the headphones would’ve come flying off of your head!). Note: The measurements you are about to see are made using a standardized Gras 45C. Headphone measurements by definition are approximate and variable so don't be surprised if other measurements even if performed with the same fixtures as mine, differ in end results. Protocols vary such as headband pressure and averaging (which I don't do). As you will see, I confirm the approximate accuracy of the measurements using Equalization and listening tests. Ultimately headphone measurements are less exact than speakers mostly in bass and above a few kilohertz so keep that in mind as you read these tests. If you think you have an exact idea of a headphone performance, you are likely wrong!Still, the 58X is more than a viable candidate for gaming and does really well all things considered. HIFIMAN Sundara/400 series. The Soundstage is super wide, and you’ll hear pretty much any and every sound you could possibly imagine in-game. It’s definitely not wide like a K702, but it can be out of your head; more so than an HD600 or even a 650. Midrange: Onto midrange, this is the highlight of these headphones. The midrange is very good on these, in almost every category. Mids and vocals have a fantastic amount of presence. Vocals never sound shouty or overly present, but they have this degree of separation from the rest of the music which allows for them to shine through in a way which is hard to explain with words. If you’ve never heard the midrange of a Sennheiser 6 series, it’s hard to explain. In a way, vocals sound completely clear in every song, but are never harsh or overly in your face. The S and T region of vocals are also never sibilant, as these headphones have a very natural sounding vocal presentation. The timbre is extremely natural and is the closest to a vocal in real life that I’ve heard. The midrange is very slightly more forward overall then the treble response and bass response though, so vocals will be more present then a flat response. In terms of warmth, these are more warm then other headphones, and that applies to most of the midrange, especially vocals. It’s an enjoyable warmth though, and isn’t muddy. For detail and separation in midrange, these do a very good job for the price, but not nearly as good as the 6XX. It is impressive though especially regarding how the treble response is on the darker side. Due to the treble response being darker though, acoustic music as well as orchestral isn’t fantastic on these, but it is passable I’d say. As a whole, the midrange is very impressive, especially for the price, and especially for vocals. Even though it isn’t perfect, it is very impressive, and among the best I’ve heard in a headphone.

Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Headphones Hit - Forbes Drop’s Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Headphones Hit - Forbes

The distinction from headphone to headphone is kind of subtle, but I’d probably take the 58X or K702 for film over the others. I finally got my hands on a 58X thanks to a cousin of mine who decided he was tired of his baby messing around with the cables and ruining his life.

I joined Sennheiser in 1991 as a Development Engineer, and my very first product was the HD 598,” recalls Axel Grell, Head of Portfolio Management Audiophile, Sennheiser. “This was the beginning of our audiophile collection and set the standard in the field of audiophile headphone technology. I am honored by the passion and interest the Massdrop community maintains in our product line, and I am happy to see the HD 58X come to life for the enjoyment of a new generation of audiophiles.” Finally I replaced my G6 due to problems with the drivers and because I wanted a better-looking DAC with multiple inputs (the G6 has both USB and mini-Toslink inputs but only one works at a time and you can't switch manually between them). So I bought a Topping E30 to test. And, oh boy was it good.

MASSDROP Sennheiser HD58X JUBILEE Review (Headphone) MASSDROP Sennheiser HD58X JUBILEE Review (Headphone)

Comfort-wise, these are not the most comfortable headphones in the world to wear, but they are light enough to not be painful even when you wear glasses and use them for hours. The clamping force is a lot too strong when they are band new though, so it requires a few days for it to soften up. The neat thing about the 58X is that its 150 Ohm Impedance is actually half that of the others in the line. If you’re super sensitive to it as I am, you’ll find that it sits nicely in the mix without sounding essy or sibilant; an issue in other headphones like the 400 series from HIFIMAN, M40x, DEVA, etc. Remember when I told you in the HD 598SE’s review that those had one of the most boring and flat sounding bass? Well, these headphones are just the reverse…. They have bass that can bring a smile to anyone’s face from a hardcore bass head to a proper audiophile.Just keep in mind that the headband has been known to snap under pressure like Henry Hill in Goodfellas. If you plan on purchasing these headphones or any other high-end headphones for that matter, I suggest you get a good DAC/AMP to go with it. It will go a long way to make your listening experience much more enjoyable. Well, compared to the HD 598SE, these are a bit less comfortable. I mean, as a reference, the HD 598SE feels like a soft woolly muffler wrapped around your ears and these feel like 2 cups strapped to your head. Also, when you are using these headphones for the first time, you might experience pain on your temple like I did. This is because, the headphones have a tight fit around your ears. But after a few weeks, as you continue to use the headphones, the headband will loosen up a bit and it will feel more comfortable on your ears.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment