276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Wilfa 605775 Coffee Grinder, Steel, Silver

£140£280.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

That’s a substantial amount of cash for a home user, so it’s difficult to say whether the extra money is worth it to you.

For precision brewing at its absolute best, go for the Wilfa Uniform Coffee Grinder and you will not be disappointed. I have had the grinder for about two months now, so I thought it’s about time to share my impression with you guys. Pros Given these grinders are at the same price point, it’s a complete no-brainer as to which grinder between the two “wins”. This isn’t to say the output of the Baratza Vario+ is bad. It is very good, and definitely a grinder we continue to recommend as a true all purpose countertop coffee grinder. I do have to give the nod to the Vario+ once you start grinding for espresso, especially in the ability to fine tune your grind. Once you get into brew grinds for siphon, pour over and aeropress, the Wilfa Uniform takes the lead. The Uniform is a high-end product for home baristas, touting itself as a grinder for filter coffee: Chemex, drip, Aeropress, and pour-over. It’s not conceived for espresso but is capable of making it, an idea that made me wonder if it was the sort of rare bird that could do it all.

What Is the Difference Between Fellow Ode 1 and Gen 2 Burrs?

Sam wasn't a fan of the grounds bin, though. It's a nice metal but was difficult to fully empty and pour from. The Baratza Virtuoso+ is one of the closest grinders in terms of price points, and in some ways, is more versatile than the Wilfa Uniform. You can buy Baratza’s Single Dose hopper for the Virtuoso+ and turn it into a single dose grinder. You can put 10oz of coffee into it and use it as a traditional grinder. You can grind on demand right into a portafilter. And you can use a timer feature for repeatable doses with one button press. Other features like the lit-up grinds bin and fast grinding times are perks and benefits.

When inspecting the grounds visually, the difference between this model and high-end hand grinders such as the Lido 3 and Helor 101 isn’t striking. My impression is that the amount of fines is roughly the same. The real difference is when it comes to boulders (the bigger particles). The Wilfa grinder, due to its flat and bigger burrs, produce fewer.

Is the Fellow Ode Grinder Good for Espresso?

If you make espresso only rarely, or if you use a pressurized portafilter, this grinder is more than capable – better than other filter coffee-focused options. But if you’re a serious espresso enthusiast, opt for a specialized espresso grinder. Value for Money – 3/5 A consistent grind is the first step to a brilliant cup of coffee. This is a fact that Wilfa knows well! Hence they've produced unrivalled coffee grinders. The power cord is relatively short at only 61 cm, so keep that in mind (or buy an extension cord) when considering where the Wilfa Uniform grinder will fit in your kitchen. Durability – 5/5 It’s not just the burrs though. The entire housing and setup for the burrs to eat coffee and spit it out into the grinds bin is well engineered. When the ground coffee evacuates from the pair of burrs, it goes into an internal dosing channel that sits 360 degrees around the bottom burr. Inside, there are little metal tabs that constantly sweep the coffee towards the exit chute, which flows a very short path down to the grinds bin lid. This is part of the “zero retention” design of the grinder.

The problems with the Fellow Ode are a) grind retention, b) static issues, b) bean feeding, and d) an inability to grind fine enough for most finer-grind applications. I’ve tested and seen this first hand. Wilfa has tried to work around this by adding Bluetooth to the scale as well as developing a complimentary smartphone app. Unfortunately, the execution isn’t great. Redundant app

The app has two main functions: A brew strength calculator and a mode that mirrors the Bluetooth scale. I could have compared the Wilfa Uniform to the Baratza Vario W+ model, which uses Baratza’s “BG” (brew grinder) hardened steel 54mm burrs, the same used on the Baratza Forte BG grinder. Indeed, in my early photos of the grinder comparisons, I have a Baratza Vario W+ sitting next to the Uniform. I have used a borrowed Ode in a few situations, enough to see the grinder’s benefits and failings. There’s also plenty of Youtube reviewers out there who have a lot to say about the Ode. Most of it is pretty bad. The on/off button is another brilliant feature. It means that you can set your beans to grind and leave them to it. The burrs simply stop grinding when there are no beans left. There’s no need to set a series of timers or mull around the coffee grinder whilst it’s on. It really is designed to make your coffee routine that bit simpler. It is stepped, so if you’re brewing for espresso at home you may need to manage the other variables to nail the extraction if you can’t get the grind spot on. I found between 1-3 was the range for espresso grind so you don’t have a huge window for grind size.

One of the killer features of this grinder is the auto off function. Because it’s a single dose grinder, it has a resistance sensor built in that knows when it is no longer grinding coffee: this triggers a stop to the motor within a few seconds. Every single dose grinder should have this feature. Most do not. The Wilfa Uniform does. It does grind fine enough for espresso. I had some delightful shots on it. However, you don’t have many options to dial it in. We don’t give review scores in our First Looks, but I’m pretty confident this will score as one of the best brew grinders you can buy right now. If you primarily make brewed coffee, with an occasional espresso at home, take a serious look at this model.I am reviewing the Wilfa Uniform grinder, which sports a simple plastic lid, so that I won’t go into the scale’s functionality. But I will mention both models at the end of the review in discussing value for money, as they are priced very differently. Design – 4/5 The collaboration has previously resulted in some solid coffee makers, as well as the highly praised entry-level grinder known as Wilfa Svart Nymalt. Wilfa trusts the Uniform is well-made because they offer a best-in-class 5-year warranty. While it doesn’t cover things like normal wear and tear, misuse, or poor maintenance, it does protect you from any manufacturing defects. Ease of Use – 4/5 Her reaction was that one bowl had less clarity compared to the other ones (the Lido 3) while the Helor and the Wilfa each stood out in their own way. Helor was sweeter, while the Wilfa was more clean and uniform. Higher extraction The standout two features of the Wilfa Uniform that I knew about going in were the incredibly uniform grind output, and the auto-off feature. But there’s nothing like experiencing things first hand…

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment