276°
Posted 20 hours ago

If Only They Could Talk: The Classic Memoir of a 1930s Vet

£4.495£8.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

On the one hand there are his new colleagues, Siegfried and Tristan Farnon, two brothers who attract a constant stream of local girls to whom James is strangely invisible. I am really looking forward to reading the rest in the series - this is the sort of comfort reading that I know I can look forward to if I need a break from real life. And many of the ones that supposedly occur in the 1930s and '40s are based on things that actually happened in the '60s and '70s, when he was writing. Owing in part to professional etiquette which at that time frowned on veterinary surgeons and other professionals from advertising their services, he took a pen name, choosing "James Herriot". It is a heartwarming and humorous account of his encounters with animals and their owners, as well as his struggles to establish himself as a veterinarian in a rural community.

It's James Herriot (not his true name) telling about his life in the UK as a country vet in the 1930s. We begin by looking at James Herriot, a recently qualified vet struggling to make it in pre-WW2 England, where his trade is rather dwindling due to the invention of the tractor, and therefor, the downsizing of the work horse, and lack of household pets during a time when animals truly (and mostly) earned their keep.Equal importance is given to the farmers, their crusty exterior hiding some of the most generous and wonderful people one could meet. Seigfried’s eccentricities, his younger brother Tristan’s pranks, the animals, and the very interesting people who surround them: these make up the book. The characters of Skeldale house, along with the eccentric locals - (not forgetting Tricki Woo, the over-indulged Pekingese), will have you really guffawing from start to finish.

A cow standing in the middle of a gleaming floor while a sleek veterinary surgeon in a spotless parturition overall inserted his arm to a polite distance. Contohnya pas Sigfried menekankan pentingnya kebersihan dalam penanganan kasus hewan, malah jadi konyol karena ternyata kondisi di lapangan tidak berjalan sesuai harapan. If Only They Could Talk is a humorous autobiographical account of the first year’s practice of the British vet “James Herriot” (whose real name was Alf Wight) in the Yorkshire Dales.I live in Yorkshire, about an hour from the Dales, and it has made me want to jump in my car and head off to Herriot country; the whole place just came alive with his passion for the region. Set in the Yorkshire Dales, this is the first book in a series by rookie vet James Herriot and his new life in the countryside and among the animals and his struggle to win over the old Yorkshire farmers and eccentric characters he meets there. Such a warm and cosy read too - in spite of the often harsh life being described (it was freezing up on the Yorkshire moors in winter).

He also renamed Donald Sinclair and his brother Brian Sinclair as Siegfried and Tristan Farnon, respectively. Many of the stories are only loosely based on real events or people, and thus can be considered primarily fiction. As long as I can remember , I always wanted to be a vet till I was around 17 when I found out , I wasn't doing too well with seeing the insides of animals. I grew up reading James Herriot's book and I'm delighted that thirty years on they are still every bit as charming, heartwarming and laugh-out-loud funny as they were then. Lulus sebagai dokter hewan di Skotlandia, ia memperoleh tempat kerja di sebuah kota kecil bernama Darrowby di daerah Yorkshire di Inggris.Buku Herriot yang penuh keajaiban ini akhirnya membawa aku di tahun 2010 ke kota Darrowby untuk mengikuti kembali jejak perjalanan James Herriot di kota kesayangannya itu. Nesavieb seju nepatīkamā grimmasē, galu galā tāda ir skarbā realitāte, ja esi nolēmis savu profesionālo ceļu brist lauku dubļos. Many of Herriot’s works—including All Creatures Great and Small, All Things Bright and Beautiful, All Things Wise and Wonderful, The Lord God Made Them All, and Every Living Thing—became international bestsellers and have been adapted for film and television. Nezinu nevienu citu grāmatu, kur galvenais varonis lielāko daļu epizodēs ir iebāzis roku kādā lielā mājdzīvniekā. Overall, Herriot's books are a testament to the power of compassion, empathy, and love, both for animals and for our fellow human beings.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment