276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Renegade Game Studio | Arboretum | Card Game | Ages 8+ | 2-4 Players | 30 Minutes Playing Time

£10.995£21.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Imagine carefully laying out a beautiful, clever path of maple trees, only to be surprised, and maybe a bit frustrated, that someone else has been holding a maple that reduces all your hard work to zilch. (But you should have -- and could have -- seen it coming if you paid a bit more attention.) Regardless, at the end of the game, both winners and losers have gorgeous-looking card arboretums to look at. That's Arboretum! Arboretum is a set collecting, hand management game for you to puzzle your way through, whilst simultaneously trying to foil the best laid plans of your pals. Let’s see how to play! Objective One additional rule is if a player has a 1 in their hand at the end, the value of the 8 in someone’s hand of that same species is treated as 0.

You've spent all game getting a great path of Cassias, it's 6 cards long. In your hand you've saved a 7 of Cassias to give you a chance at owning the highest numbered card. End game. Cassias are called. You lay down your 7. Your opponent - who has no Cassias in their Arboretum - lays down an 8 of Cassias. Your hard work going towards this Cassia path is now worth 0 points.Note 1: It is possible to gain the right to score points for a species that is not present in your arboretum. In this case, you will not score anything for that species, but you may have prevented an opponent from scoring points for that species.

Pre-pub link is up, and the game is getting great numbers to start. https://www.gmtgames.com/p-1083-wings-for-the-baron-deluxe-gmt-edition.aspxYou will call out the species one at a time, then only the player who reveals the highest numbered sum of cards of that species from their hand gets to score the points for the species. Arboretum is a strategy card game for 2-4 players, aged 10 and up, that combines set collection, tile-laying and hand management while playing in about 25 minutes. Players try to have the most points at the end of the game by creating beautiful garden paths for their visitors. What is an Arboretum? For those who don’t know, it’s an outside space full of trees of a variety of species. It can be quite relaxing wandering through this collection of trees, admiring the Willows and the Maples – and Arboretum the card game captures that sense of beauty and relaxation perfectly. You can imagine yourself casually strolling along admiring the trees as you lay down your cards. What’s In The Box? A path is a sequence of orthogonally adjacent cards of ascending value, where the first and last cards are of the same species. Each card in the path must be a greater value than the card before it, but the values do not have to be consecutive.

The game also enjoys the excitement and dread of the slow reveal. As you get closer to the end game players slowly realise what cards other players must have. As a result, they understand whether they are going to score any points for their meticulously designed row of willows. Also, if a player has the number one left in their hand, and another player has the eight, that eight is suddenly worth zero in the end game totalling.It's a tough game, where the decisions I made were incredibly interesting and had more layers than trees have bark. But all this brilliant game design was interspersed with the feeling of putting down my dog every couple of rounds. I mean this is the mother of my child, the love of my life, and I was being so incredibly mean to her. The game end is triggered when there are no more cards in the draw pile. The player who drew the last card finishes their turn normally, and then scoring occurs. In the case of a tie, the tied player with the most species present in their arboretum wins. If there is still a tie, the tied players must each plant a tree. In five years' time, the player whose tree has grown the tallest wins. Player turns are simple, but each decision holds a wealth of strategy: 1) Draw two cards, either from the face-down pile or the accumulating face-up discard piles from each player. 2) Play one card into your personal arboretum, orthogonally connected to a previously played card (the first turn, obviously, allows an exception). 3) Discard one card, face-up, into your personal discard pile. Play continues in this vein until the final cards are drawn from the center draw pile, triggering the final turn of the game. Scoring I did my research going into Arboretum, critics and fans raved about it: fantastic game, but it's mean. I didn't think too much of it. I've played mean games before and public opinion at the moment is unreliable. It's too sensationalist. So when people said it was mean I thought they were being big babies.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment