276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Murder on the Oceanic (Ocean Liner Mysteries, 7): A gripping Edwardian mystery from the bestselling author

£4.495£8.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The mystery is well-plotted, and like other classic mysteries, you discover most of the clues at the same time as George does, so you can "sleuth" along with him. I really enjoyed this element, particularly after having read a number of cozy mysteries recently featuring amateur detectives who stumble their way onto the truth more than using any real brain work. In contrast, George is refreshingly competent, intelligent and clearly experienced in his line of work. There were two major things I hated about this book: 1)Our detectives get arrogant again and make mistakes. By now they should be so experienced they would act cautiously. 2)Once again Genevieve puts herself in a dangerous situation and needs to be rescued. I absolutely think Dillman needs to teach her some self defense and that she should be smart enough NOT to put herself in that situation. It was horrible for her and horrible to read. At least this time she has a good reason not to press charges but even in 1910 I think she should have stood up for herself more. The minor thing I disliked about the story is that other than J.P. Morgan, the story could have taken place at any time during the steamship era. Previously published under the name Conrad Allen, the Ocean Liner series is relaunched for a new generation of listeners.

As an experienced reader of whodunnits, I had an inkling of the culprit early on, but did not really get the full picture until late in the book. I had already read the first book in this series, and the concept seemed to be not too bad. However, this, being the seventh book in the series, is showing the strain. The concept of the married couple working together as detectives, and having to pretend to not know each other, is hard to swallow. Keith Miles (born 1940) is a Welsh writer of historical fiction and mystery novels. He has also written children's books, radio and television dramas and stage plays. He is best known under the pseudonym Edward Marston, and has also written as Martin Inigo and Conrad Allen. This started off with two interesting twists for me - our two detectives, who’ve always worked on luxurious Cunard vessels making Atlantic crossings, are now on the P & O liner Marmora - still luxurious, but making stops in Marseille, Egypt, and finally, Australia. EDIT: this is only the fifth book, sorry! There are more books in the series Pleasant mystery set on the Lusitania’s maiden voyage in 1907. George Porter Dillman is the ship’s detective working incognito as a first class passenger. As he observes the characters, several of them come to his notice, including the glamorous Genevieve Masefield and a persistent reporter called Henry Barcroft. Then some important plans go missing from the Chief Engineer’s room, and Barcroft is found murdered. Dillman must solve the murder before the ship reaches New York, without alarming the passengers.It is good to see these books now on kindle and I looked forward to re-reading this mystery, which I had not read for many years. It is September, 1907 and the Lusitania is sailing her maiden voyage to New York. This novel introduces American George Porter Dillman, a detective who is usually called upon to keep an eye on professional card sharps, or some thieving. However, this voyage offers more than the usual excitement - and romance. From the time Dillman boards the train from Euston to Liverpool, Lime Street, he feels that things are not right. He is intrigued by Mr and Mrs Rymer, whose daughter Violet seems sad and listless for such an exciting event as a trip on such a wonderful liner and is further concerned about the oily journalist Henry Barcroft, who bothers the passengers and crew alike. When there is murder onboard, his detective skills are put to the test. Married shipboard sleuthing pair, George Dillman and Genevieve Masefield, are once again on the high seas, this time aboard the Salsette, sailing from India. Working undercover, George and Genevieve have separate accommodations in first class, settling in for an uneventful cruise which is soon livened up by a series of thefts and a murder. Genevieve doesn’t hit it off with the mysterious first theft victim, Madame Roussel, but does make friends with young Tabitha Simcoe and her wheelchair-bound mother, Constance, who both seem addicted to playing bridge. Meanwhile, George befriends a rollerskating teenager and an old Indian man with mystical powers while seeming to get under the skin of a haughty, aristocratic couple traveling with a shy, young Indian servant girl. I liked the book well enough to want to read more about Dillman's adventures but not enough to want them right now this very minute.

Also on board are a recently engaged couple, a charming rake who seems set on breaking them apart as well as seducing Genevieve, a controversial painter of nudes traveling with his bohemian wife and his alluring French model, and a pair of cabin stewards who have exclusive access to the private lairs of all aboard.

Publication Order of Home Front Detective Books

Dillman finally has a personality and allows his passions to shine through. He's intelligent and thoughtful as well as caring. I liked how he handled Polly's crush with a delicate touch, not wanting to hurt her. I also liked knowing about what interests him. The ending absolutely surprised and delighted me. The Elizabethan Theatre series, featuring Nicholas Bracewell, stage manager (and amateur detective) for one of Elizabethan London leading theatrical companies: Herbert, Rosemary, ed. (1999). The Oxford Companion to Crime and Mystery Writing. Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-507239-1. Edward has also written a couple of architectural novels, which are set in the 1930’s era of America, featuring the main protagonist Merlin Richards. Because of his highly acclaimed style of writing and unique setting, he is regarded as a pro in his field by many reputed magazines. The hallmarks of his books include consummate storytelling, astute characterization and plot setting and a love of period. His early series’ as a scriptwriter for radio and television include Z-Cars, The Archers and Crossroads. Edward adopted his pseudonym of Edward Marston inspired from a real Elizabethan playwright named John Marston when he began writing novels set in the Elizabethan theatrical world. His earlier series under the pseudonym featured a fictional theater company named Westfield’s Men. His other historical series’ have been set during the Restoration London, Victorian England during 1850’s and the military operations of the Duke of Marlborough. Edward was the chairman of the Crime Writers’ Association in the year 1997-98. He was married twice, first with Rosalind Miles and the second time with Judith Cutler, who is a mystery writer herself. stars for this (I assume) final book in the series. Conrad Allen is a pen name for the prolific historical mystery writer Edward Marston, who often writes in series of six books; this is book 6 in the series about the golden age of ocean cruising, in which we’ve followed the adventures of ship detectives Genevieve Masefield and George Dillman.

This had so much potential. SO much. And just kind of fell flat for me. It did have enough that I may read the second one, but I am not in a huge hurry. Sigh. So, new line, smaller ship, new longer cruise route. Also, our two detectives, until now universally adored - throughout the series, the author tells us at length how gorgeous, witty, charming Genevieve is, and George is just as handsome, smart, tough, etc. Finally, a bit of conflict enters their Teflon existence - first, the Marmora bursar has no use for them on his ship, and resents their presence, especially George. Kilheaney (I think that was the name, an Irishman) doesn’t like Americans (George), and thinks of Cunard as the enemy, so resents both detectives. Plus, their reputation as effective professionals precedes them, and he resents that as well. We learn there is more to his story, of course. Also, Genevieve spots a very unpleasant man from her past among the passengers, so she’s on pins and needles much of the time. The Home Front Detective Series, featuring Inspector Harvey Marmion and Sergeant Joe Keedy, set in WWI. Speaking of changes, we have a break in pattern elsewhere on the Marmora - no more Mr. Nice Purser. Brian Kilhendry is frankly an arrogant, self-absorbed and racist little man, and it was as unpleasant to read about him as it must’ve been for George to have to work with him. While his bullheaded insistence on obstructing George and Genevieve made my blood boil, it did make him a far more memorable character than the other nice Cunard pursers, who all seem to blend into one in my mind. And it certainly did make the mystery that much more challenging to solve, which was fun. Edward has also worked as a director and an actor for a short period and also owned a professional theater company. Edward has also served as a drama teacher in a prison and worked as an editor for the stories of a film company situated in Pinewood. In his career spanning around 50 years, Edward has written more than 40 plays for the radio, theater and television. He has even completed a drama series comprising of hundreds of episodes. But today, Edward has left everything else and tries to concentrate on the development of his mystery series’. His nautical mysteries under the pseudonym Conrad Allen are set in the Edwardian era, the first of which, “Murder on the Lusitania” was released in the year 1999. Edward’s first historical mystery novel was released under the title “The Queen’s Head” in the year 1988, which launched the Bracewell series. Under his original name Keith Miles, he has written a total of 6 novels based on the crime genre. These novels feature the main protagonist, Alan Saxon. Edward has set all the novels in different countries each having different settings, the latest of which was released in the year 2004.Freeman, Pam (June 2002). "An interview with Keith Miles". Shropshire Council. Archived from the original on 5 March 2012 . Retrieved 14 December 2010. As Dillman works to get to the bottom of the crimes, he makes an unusual friend, first-class passenger Genevieve Masefield, and the two uncover secrets aboard the ship that prove explosive. In the tradition of novels by Golden Age mystery writers like Christie and Marsh, we have an interesting and varied cast of characters/suspects, mostly restricted to the first class passengers, whom we're slowly introduced to. George Porter Dillman, our protagonist, is hired by the Cunard Line as an undercover detective and finds more trouble than he had expected when an overly nosey journalist, Henry Barcroft, is found murdered. Miles was born and educated in South Wales. [1] He gained a degree in Modern History from Oxford University and spent three years as a lecturer, before becoming a full-time writer. [2] Miles's early work was as a scriptwriter for television and radio, including series such as Crossroads, Z-Cars and The Archers. [3] Miles was chairman of the Crime Writers' Association for 1997–98. [4] He was previously married to Rosalind Miles and is now married to another mystery writer, Judith Cutler. [5] Mystery fiction written as Keith Miles [ edit ]

Dillman and Masefield, the seagoing detective team, are now about the Marmora, a ship owned and operated by the P&O line. They are traveling to Australia via the Mediterranean and Egypt. The purser, a charming Irishman, does not like either of them and does not really want them there meddling into what he considers to be his ship's business. On board is the Princess Royal Louise, her husband, the Duke of Fife, their two daughters and other various passengers, but there is a bit of a surprise for Genevieve. Her ex-fiance, Nigel Wilmshurst, is on board with his new bride for their honeymoon. As usual, the voyage begins and things start disappearing from cabins right away. While the two are puzzling over these crimes, there is a murder on board. The dialogue is stilted, which may reflect the 1910 setting, but shows little of the fun and riotous times in that era. A real life character, the banker JP Morgan, is on board, and figures heavily in the plot. He doesn't come across as a nice man. Fun fact: Morgan died only a couple of years later.The man from Genevieve’s past is thoroughly nasty, but even he comes across as rather pathetic by the end, and the author ends on a positive and exciting note with a real twist as to the murderer. Fun and entertaining lighter historical mystery conjuring the glamor of ocean cruising in the Gilded Age.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment