276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Monkey Puzzle

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The narrative of "Monkey Puzzle" centers around a young monkey who becomes separated from her mother in the vast and dense jungle. Feeling lost and alone, the little monkey embarks on a quest to reunite with her beloved parent. Along her journey, she encounters a helpful butterfly who volunteers to assist her in the search. The story begins with a little monkey, alone and lost in the jungle. This little monkey has lost his mum. As the monkey and the butterfly continue their exploration, they eventually stumble upon the monkey's father. He affectionately calls the monkey, urging her to return home. Just as they are about to head home, the butterfly catches sight of the monkey's true mother. Reuniting with her mother fills the young monkey's heart with joy, ending her journey of discovery and separation. Monkey Puzzle or Where’s My Mom by Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler is full of delights for young children. You will find Julia Donaldson’s brilliant rhymes and Axel Scheffler’s wonderful illustrations along with repetition, clues, jungle animals and a great big hug. We have read it over and over again and never tire of it. If you don’t own a copy it is a great addition to your bookshelves at this time of year as Mother’s Day approaches and it is also a fantastic story to read in the Spring as an introduction to the lifecycle of a butterfly.

Sign up to my mailing list community and you won’t miss out on any special offers, teaching tips or new resources.This story was accepted by the publisher at the same time as The Gruffalo, and at first they thought they might find a different illustrator for it. But I’m very glad they didn’t! I can’t imagine that anyone other than Axel could have given such character and humour to the animals which the butterfly mistakes for the monkey’s mum.

I grew up in a tall Victorian London house with my parents, grandmother, aunt, uncle, younger sister Mary and cat Geoffrey (who was really a prince in disguise. Mary and I would argue about which of us would marry him). Look at the different types of punctuation shown in the story. Could you use some of these in your own writing? Once more this misleads butterfly as she produces a snake, so Little Monkey has to tell him that his mum has more legs than that. Once more this is confusing to butterfly who produces a spider. 'No, no, no! ... 'she'd rather eat fruit than swallow a fly, And she lives in the treetops way up high' is Little Monkey's next clue. This leads butterfly on a wild goose, or more appropriately to begin with, a wild elephant, chase. Little monkey has to tell him that it isn't his mum and he gives butterfly another clue - 'her tail coils round the trees'. After a parrot is produced, Little Monkey tells butterfly that his mum 'leaps about'. Once more butterfly gets it wrong and produces a frog. 'Brown fur' is Little Monkey's next clue but the creature hanging upside down in a tree isn't his mum; 'she's not nearly so small' explains little monkey.Read and Create is a personal blog, featuring children's literature and the play, crafts, outings and food inspired by stories. Investigate environmental issues linked to jungles and rainforests. How can people help to protect them?

This is one of the first books we bought for our son and it is a huge favourite! Love the felt animals you have made to go with it. Funnily enough, I find it harder to write not in verse, though I feel I am now getting the hang of it! My novel THE GIANTS AND THE JONESES is going to be made into a film by the same team who made the Harry Potter movies, and I have written three books of stories about the anarchic PRINCESS MIRROR-BELLE who appears from the mirror and disrupts the life of an otherwise ordinary eight-year-old. I have just finished writing a novel for teenagers. Eventually the little monkey becomes exasperated with Butterfly. Why does she keep getting the wrong animals? Then, the penny drops. The little monkey never gives Butterfly the key information - the little monkey’s mum looks like he does! This seems obvious to the little monkey but it isn’t to Butterfly because none of her babies looks like she does: her babies are caterpillars! Monkey Puzzle (in the United States of America, Where's My Mom?), written by Julia Donaldson and illustrated by Axel Scheffler, is an illustrated children's story book, published in 2000 by Alison Green Books. Donaldson dedicated the book to her cousin's children, Tom, Billy, Emma and Katie. Choose one of the animals on the word mat (see Resources below). Then, make up some clues for a friend to help them identify the animal that you are thinking of.I love the way that children learn that not all animal babies look like their parents in this story. I thought that the butterfly revealing that her children didn’t look like her was very clever. The clever aspect of this tale is the butterfly being unsure who they're looking for as their babies differ from them. Julia Donaldson is one of today's most popular writers. Her bestselling titles include The Gruffalo, The Gruffalo's Child and Room on the Broom. Although she is best-known for her picture books, Julia also writes longer novels, plays and songs. She lives in Glasgow and spends a lot of time on stage performing her brilliant sell-out singalong shows! Another very lovely, entrancing and enchanting story from the ever reliable pen of Donaldson and the accomplished brush of Scheffler. Axel Scheffler's distinctive illustrations bring the characters and settings of "Monkey Puzzle" to life. His vibrant and expressive artwork adds depth to the story, making it an immersive experience for young readers.

Look at the patterns and textures on the animals in the story. Investigate what camouflage means and how this helps animals. Before Malcolm and I had our three sons we used to go busking together and I would write special songs for each country; the best one was in Italian about pasta. Lots of Julia Donaldson books feature animal characters - from whales to ladybirds, from monkeys to mice! We love this book! The illustrations are so great too :). I think this linky is so fab, I will definitely try to join in one week! xFortunately the little monkey isn’t alone for long. A well-meaning and friendly Butterfly appears and comforts him, then they set out to find the little monkey’s mum, together. Poor Butterfly keeps finding animals that fit the little monkey’s description but they aren’t quite right. I studied Drama and French at Bristol University, where I met Malcolm, a guitar-playing medic to whom I’m now married. The tale concludes on a heartwarming note, with the monkey and her mother embracing each other. The butterfly, having played a crucial role in their reunion, also shares in their happiness. This reinforces the importance of friendship, teamwork, and the enduring connection between loved ones. Monkey Puzzle' isn't quite up there with the very best of Donaldson/Scheffler (Gruffalo, Snail and the Whale etc.) - but it's not far off. Five years after the publication of multi award-winning The Gruffalo, author Julia Donaldson and illustrator Axel Scheffler return with a much-awaited sequel.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment