276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Laura Poitras Collection [Blu-ray]

£9.405£18.81Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

D'Addario, Daniel (February 22, 2015). "Citizenfour Wins Best Documentary at the Oscars". Time . Retrieved February 22, 2015.

Laura Poitras: Two Artists, One Devastating Film Nan Goldin and Laura Poitras: Two Artists, One Devastating Film

Assange was aware of both films. It is clear he believed Poitras would faithfully document the hero behind the groundbreaking work. Which she has done. And some. So we see portrayed a man of principle desperate to expose the secret institutions that shape how we live. But we also see a pompous Assange demanding to speak to Hillary Clinton and telling the US Department of State that he is only calling as an act of altruism (“To try and make it clear, we don’t have a problem, you have a problem”); a comically deluded Assange, who believes dyeing his hair ginger and putting on a floppy hat and pair of shades was the perfect disguise, and a narcissistic dictator having his hair cut by two members of staff.

In the News

Zeitchik, Steven (May 6, 2017). "With Laura Poitras' re-cut 'Risk,' a director controversially changes her mind about Julian Assange". Los Angeles Times. ISSN 0458-3035 . Retrieved May 9, 2017.

All the Beauty and the Bloodshed director Laura Poitras on

In their first interview, which Poitras describes as “really emotionally intense,” the artist talked about being sent to foster care. “I was so deeply moved by how she spoke about her life,” said Poitras. “She was very raw and very unfiltered.” Laura Poitras: Astro Noiseisthe first solo museum exhibition by artist, filmmaker, and journalist Laura Poitras. This immersive installation of new work builds on topics important to Poitras, including mass surveillance, the war on terror, the U.S. drone program, Guantánamo Bay Prison, occupation, and torture. Some of these issues have been investigated in her films, including Citizenfour, which won the 2015 Academy Award for Best Documentary, and in her reporting, which was awarded a 2014 Pulitzer Prize. Poitras knew Assange could be difficult – when she started filming he had already fallen out with the Guardian – but the level of difficulty surprised her. In 2010, an arrest warrant was issued in Sweden, where WikiLeaks is based, in relation to sexual assault allegations against two women. Things became more difficult in 2012, when the UK’s Supreme Court ruled that he should be extradited to Sweden and he sought sanctuary in the Ecuadorian embassy. For the exhibition, Poitras is creating an interrelated series of installations in the Whitney’s eighth-floor Hurst Family Galleries. The exhibition expands on her project to document post–9/11 America, engaging visitors in formats outside her non-fiction filmmaking. Instead she will create immersive environments that incorporate documentary footage, architectural interventions, primary documents, and narrative structures to invite visitors to interact with the material in strikingly intimate and direct ways.Laura Poitras poses with the Golden Lion at the Venice Film Festival, which she won last September for 'All the Beauty and the Bloodshed.' Domenico Stinellis (AP) Citizenfour is a documentary about Edward Snowden, a former NSA contractor, who had leaked classified information about the agency's surveillance practices to the media after working in Geneva. Poitras was one of the journalists who worked with Snowden to publicize the information along with journalist Glenn Greenwald. [60] The movie premiered on October 10, 2014, at New York Film Festival. In 2014, Poitras told the Associated Press she was editing the film in Berlin because she feared her source material would be seized by the government inside the U.S. [61] Film executive Harvey Weinstein said Citizenfour had changed his opinion about Edward Snowden, describing the documentary as "one of the best movies, period." [62]

Laura Poitras on Oscar nomination for her new documentary

Krasny, Michael (October 21, 2014). " 'Citizenfour' Tells the Story of NSA Whistleblower Edward Snowden". Forum (Podcast). San Francisco: KQED-FM . Retrieved October 21, 2014. I come from a filmmaking tradition where I'm using the camera—it's my lens to express the filmmaking I do. In the same way that a writer uses their language, for me it's the images that tell the story ... the camera is my tool for documenting things, so I stay mostly behind it." [63]

About the artist

a b c Lang, Brent (May 3, 2017). " 'Risk' Director Laura Poitras on Her Explosive Julian Assange Documentary". Variety . Retrieved May 9, 2017. Laura Poitras Receives Segal Prize". Film at Lincoln Center. March 30, 2011 . Retrieved November 14, 2021. Laura Poitras ( / ˈ p ɔɪ t r ə s/; [3] born February 2, 1964) [4] is an American director and producer of documentary films. [5] Glenn Greenwald Reacts To Pulitzer Prize". The Huffington Post. April 20, 2014 . Retrieved October 22, 2014.

Laura Poitras | The Guardian

The Boston-born filmmaker has found a new outlet to bring home the realities of the surveillance state to Americans.” She filmed, edited, and produced Channel 4's alternative to the Royal Christmas Message by Queen Elizabeth II in 2013, the " Alternative Christmas Message", featuring Edward Snowden. [47] [48]

Exhibition Catalogue

Snowden filmmaker Laura Poitras: 'Facebook is a gift to intelligence agencies' ". Washington Post. October 23, 2014. The Oath Honored at the Sundance Film Festival". Beyond the Box. October 20, 2001. Archived from the original on November 28, 2010.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment