276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Between Us: The biggest rom com of 2023: smart, romantic and laugh-out-loud funny from the bestselling author of Last Night and Mad About You

£4.495£8.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

While I didn’t get what I wanted from Between Us, McFarlane’s writing is strong enough it didn’t ever occur to me to put the book down. She had a very unusual manner to go with the uncommon accent: sort of Head Girl in a boarding school, combined with the rigidly poised, religiose self-certainty of a West Coast wellness guru. By that, I mean it’s easy for Roisin to spiral in this situation but the three of them keep her on a more sane path. They go away for the weekend with a group of friends and watch the first episode of Joes new series and she sees that things reflect her life and other things crop up that haven't happen, but could it actually be the truth? I found MAD ABOUT YOU to be a louder book than usual from this author and while this wasn't on the same decibel scale, it still felt a little bigger.

It took at least half of the book for me to get into the storyline and to actually care about the characters. And the time she has spent with him over the weekend has seemingly only solidified all the things that don’t work between them now – his constant sniping and jealousy of Matt, etc. Packed with riveting drama and painful truths, this book powerfully illustrates the devastation of abuse—and the strength of the survivors. But although Roisin is thrilled to spend a weekend with her friends, she can’t deny that something is missing these days – not just in the core group, which has some distance between some of the friendships that time and different levels of socioeconomic status have amplified. The provocative opening takes a dark turn when Lily receives a warning about Ryle’s intentions from his sister, who becomes Lily’s employee and close friend.Now, he’s struck it big and isn’t afraid to shower his friends with money, however uncomfortable they may be. There is a cast of extras including friends you like, friends you aren’t sure about, a mother who is questionable but you can’t help but like, and even an overweight cat which is also a bonus. It’s a devastating realisation, and I really felt for Roisin, though she reacts with far less self-recrimination than I would manage in her place. Their relationship might not be perfect, but they can hold this complex love at least, something important when Roisin’s just lost a long-term relationship with now tainted memories.

Roisin (Ro-sheen for us Americans) is also a typical McFarlane heroine: Gorgeous but doesn’t know it, good-hearted, intelligent, and funny as hell. At the center is Joe's latest crime drama, where the first episode seems to mirror actual events, causing Roisin to question her own reality. The Brian Club’ has plenty to celebrate, including an engagement, a birthday and a television premiere, and Roisin is hoping that the tension that has been building between she and Joe doesn’t spoil it. Eine Lektüre, die nicht nur das Herz erwärmt, sondern auch als Geschenk für besondere Menschen glänzt.

On a good note, I loved that The Brian Club remained steadfast and stable throughout (barring one incident that is mostly played for laughs. Romance is never a huge part of McFarlane’s books – there’s a clear thread that runs through it but it’s never the primary part of the story.

Die Charaktere des Romans sind so lebendig und charismatisch, dass man sich sofort mit ihnen verbunden fühlt.I won this book and although I'm not a big Chick Lit fan, this sounded like an interesting story and I enjoyed reading it. Then she begins to realize that if is using things in her life in the show, he is probably using things from his life also and she starts to investigate along with a mutual friend and finds out much more. From the first pages, it's not clear how long Roisin will tolerate Joe in her life, despite their decade together, since their relationship has been on a steady downward trajectory for quite a while. But as the weekend unfolds, tensions come to light in the group and Roisin begins to question her own relationship.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment