276°
Posted 20 hours ago

A Spoonful of Murder: The first book in a hilarious and totally unputdownable cosy murder mystery series for fans of The Thursday Murder Club

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

There are some male characters (notable for their youth, hardiness around the home or dastardly dealing with elderly ladies) but the main roles are all female and rather insipid. For all ebook purchases, you will be prompted to create an account or login with your existing HarperCollins username and password.

I loved this book' NetGalley review 'Cosy mystery at its best with a cast of loveable characters, a truly satisfying read! It's simple prose and gentle telling make this is a great spring garden book - put down your secateurs, grab a brew and indulge in a chapter or two on the patio. The list of potential suspects, assuming there is anything to suspect them of, is long, the motives equally so.

Ir viso to darosi jau kiek per daug – o juk dar nekalbu apie kiekvienos iš protagonisčių asmenines bėdas ir problemėles, kurioms vietos irgi negailima. A subplot deals with a younger female single mother of two so JM Hall has created a situation where there will be something for most women to relate to. From an interview with the author that was placed at the conclusion of the audiobook edition, it transpires that J.

The police seem to be content with the explanation that all was just a mistake, and after doing some investigating, the death is declared an accident. While the mystery and the ladies antics were somewhat humorous, there are some serious issues dealt with in this story. The plot is cosy and tricky, with just the right blend of Miss Marple, interesting and quirky characters, secrets.Issues that elders will deal with such as, treatment of frail persons, possibility of dementia and the issues surrounding care, the vulnerability of older persons to be taken advantage of by scammers (not just bank fraud, but charging for jobs not needed or not completed), banks who don't want to help and those who have no children to help them. This isn't a psychological drama so if you're looking for another Girl on the Train or Gone Girl this isn't it.

It has a good mixture of humour, sadness, and mystery which kept my interest throughout and I didn’t want it to end. With the victim in the early stages of dementia, it looks like an accident with no foul play speculated. After the super-interesting The Thursday Murder Club whetted my appetite for senior sleuths, I was constantly on the lookout for such stories. Thelma becomes concerned about one of her former pupils experiencing money problems, Pat is worried about her weight and her son and some unknown “internet problems”, while Liz is worried about her grandson’s tantrums in a highly regarded school. The cover and the premise scream out that this is perfect for people who loved the Thursday Murder Club (but it doesn't have the absurd and glamourous aspects it had).Fans of Agatha Christie, Death in Paradise and Midsomer Murders will be hooked from the very first page. Every Thursday, three retired school teachers have their ‘coffee o’clock’ sessions at the Thirsk Garden Centre café. A Spoonful of Sugar is set around the East Yorkshire towns of Thirsk and Northallerton, and promises a cast of female retirees using their many skills to solve a murder mystery. Each of the women resent the disruption to their routine, each of the women hopes fervently they wont be dragged into somebody else's life, each of the women find themselves unwillingly enmeshed in Topsy's afterlife when she dies days after the meeting. The book touches on some important issues to do with retirement such as fraudulent schemes that target the elderly, women's perception of themselves, and raising children in today's world.

Hall explores the desperate measures some people will take to make ends meet, the rights and wrongs of justice – and the junk mail, so much of it announcing fabulous offers, but never living up to expectation. It may just be me, but I found that this group of retired primary school teachers really didn’t really have enough individualism going on for me to be able to completely tell them apart. They may be used by those companies to build a profile of your interests and show you relevant adverts on other sites. These wonderfully warm and funny characters took on a life of their own and spawned a series of cosy crime novels. Pat, bright and attractive, the wife of Rod, (a builder), worries about her youngest, teenage son, Liam, the bodily trials of aging, and a generation raised in a world where the internet in all its trappings can clearly be seen to “sap the soul”.Every week, Jan, Thelma and Liz, three retired primary school teachers, meet for coffee at the local garden centre (mainly because it has impressive toilets).

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment