276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Case of the Missing Treasure (A Murder Most Unladylike Mini Mystery)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

She spent her teenage years at Cheltenham Ladies’ College, reading a lot of murder mysteries and hoping that she’d get the chance to do some detecting herself (she didn’t). She then went to university, where she studied crime fiction, and then worked at a children's publisher. But for one excuse or another, I never did return and, when I tried, I couldn’t find my “in”. I tried with the fourth book in the series - Jolly Foul Play - and struggled and I didn’t want to read the starter in the series. Plus, for some reason, the later novels appealed to me, with the fifth - Mistletoe and Murder - catching my eye. I’m sorry, but murder at Christmas. Doesn’t that gripping?

I love the Murder Most Unladylike Mystery Series. The case of the missing treasure is a short story set in 1936 London. There has been lots of burglaries in lots of London museums. Where will the burglar strike next? Robin's books are: Murder Most Unladylike (Murder is Bad Manners in the USA), Arsenic for Tea (Poison is Not Polite in the USA), First Class Murder, Jolly Foul Play, Mistletoe and Murder, Cream Buns and Crime, A Spoonful of Murder, Death in the Spotlight and Top Marks for Murder. She is also the author of The Guggenheim Mystery, the sequel to Siobhan Dowd's The London Eye Mystery. However this one takes place before the DitS book, but we do see tons of hints here for that book. She states that she never sees boys the way Hazel does.

Retailers:

Novella che si colloca tra il sesto libro ( qui la recensione) e il settimo, Morte sotto i Riflettori, che devo ancora leggere! I just adored seeing them walk around London on their own (first at the treasure hunt and then later when they were trying to solve a whole different mystery). I know this sounds a bit silly, but how to explain it better, this one takes place in 1936, so it isn't that common for kids to just walk around without chaperones. Especially the girls. So I was delighted that they finally had the chance (and later took the chance) to go outside. It really shows that they are growing up, and that they want more freedom.

This time our POV is Daisy. She isn't always a favourite of mine, mostly to do with her attitude and how she always thinks she is the best and no one should surpass her. I did love that she had a coming out in the Death in the Spotlight book, I already had my suspicions given how she acted whenever a boy was around + how Hazel was acting when Alexander is around. It is Daisy’s 15 birthday and her uncle has set up a treasure hunt for her to do around London. With her best friend Hazel and their friends and rival detective society the Junior Pinkertons. Now, this is a novella, a short story, so this is one for the fans or people curious over the series as it gives a favour to the series. Expect, while it does, it doesn’t. All the short stories within the series (or Mini Mysteries) are told from Daisy’s point of view. She’s a little spoilt, impressive and is much lighter, which suits the short story mysteries. However, it’s her friend, Hazel, who writes the novels and her voice is much different. Her voice is more serious, which is more suited to the murders the two have to investigate. I’m not sure if I could read this series is Daisy wrote the novels - her voice might grate on readers when dealing with the subject of murder.Given that this short story involves the British museum and my all time favourite historical period the Ancient Egyptians, I had a feeling this would hold a special place in my heart along with the other MMU books and short stories. With a gorgeous cover, a birthday treasure hunt and an appearance from the Junior Pinkertons what more could you ask for? Robin was born in California and grew up in an Oxford college, across the road from the house where Alice in Wonderland lived. She has been making up stories all her life. Mi è solo dispiaciuto che non abbia apprezzato la caccia al tesoro che lo zio le ha organizzato per il suo compleanno, trovandola un gioco infantile e non adatto a detective del suo calibro (anche se alla fine era comunque di intrattenimento). Felix treasure hunt was a fun one, I had fun figuring out the codes and the riddles myself. Cheering for the characters to figure it out as well, and then being excited to see what the prize would be.

But at times I was a bit frustrated with her (how she treated the treasure hunt and her uncle, she should be a bit more appreciative of him or how she treats Hazel at times), but I also saw a fun side to her. It made me quite happy that this story is from Daisy's POV, it gave me a better chance to get to know her. To see how much she grew up from when we first meet her and Hazel. Her big big big plans for the future, and how she already thinks she is there. :P I had a bit of a laugh at how she kept competing with George on things. I loved that we also see our Pinkerton boys again. They are such fun characters, and I especially love Hazel's reactions to Alexander. It was great fun to see our two girls and two boys cooperate and try to solve the mystery together. I did enjoy myself with this, though I did wish it was a tad longer. There is a sneak peek of the first few chapters of the seventh book in the Murder Most Unladylike series, Death on the Spotlight, and I did read a chapter and a half before stopping myself. I am planning to read this, but want to go in blind. Plus, at the time fo writing this, I have bought Mistletoe and Murder and A Spoonful of Murder, so I want to read these in the next few months before jumping into Death in the Spotlight. This was so much fun. I think you might have noticed that I have been reading quite a few heavy stories of late and this was a lovely refresher/sorbet to my reading pallet. It was fun and I enjoyed dipping in and out and rediscovering my love of Middle Grade.

Select a format:

The treasure hunt leads them to the British museum. The case Daisy’s uncle has been trying to keep her from is just under their noses. When they are looking for the next clue they find a scrap of paper. Does it hold the key to all the burglaries that have been going on throughout London? Can they stop them in the act? We also get another mystery alongside of the treasure hunt. Someone is stealing treasures, but who is it. Inside job? Something else? Our girls (and our boys) are on the case! In questa novella, troviamo i membri dei Pinkterton, George e Alexander, che abbiamo incontrato nei volumi precedenti. Mi è piaciuta l'ambientazione a Londra, soprattutto al British Museum, uno dei musei più affascinanti in cui io sia mai stata.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment