276°
Posted 20 hours ago

One Good Thing: From the bestselling author of Confessions of a 40 something F##k Up

£7.495£14.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The prose is sincere and vivid. The characters are quirky, genuine, and supportive. And the plot is an astute, absorbing tale that takes you on a heart-wrenching rollercoaster ride of love, loss, friendship, family, community, thoughtfulness, dementia, grief, companionship, new love, and moving on.

In life, nothing is certain. Just when you think you have it all figured out, something can happen to change the course of everything . . . The characters were brilliant, all of them, not only the main ones but also the supporting ones as well. The author was able to brilliantly capture all of their feelings and emotions, bringing them to life and easily making us care for them and keeping everything crossed for them. What was also absolutely great was the fact that Harry the dog was a character of his own, so important, being this "one good thing" that brough all of them together, saving them, and he was so well captured and described, I loved it.

Latest Posts

There’s so much to enjoy in this simple tale, not least the delightful cast of diverse characters. As well as Liv, we get septuagenarian Valentine, whose wife is in a care home with Alzheimer’s, rebellious teenager Maya, and seven year-old Stanley, who’s trying to get used to the idea of his mum being a star in heaven. Yes, they are all clichés, but it is exactly this that makes them so wonderfully human and relatable. Neviem, čím to je, ale autorka (zasa raz) aj bez rozsiahlych popisov prostredia a prírody vie vierohodne vtiahnuť a nadchnúť čitateľa pre lokalitu tak, že mám chuť okamžite kúpiť letenku a odcestovať na tie miesta, aby som mohla byť ich súčasťou. Znovu dýchať ten vzduch, vidieť tie výhľady, počuť, cítiť… One Good Thing is the new heartwarming, hilarious alternative love story, from the author of Confessions of a Forty-Something F**k Up, Alexandra Potter Liv’s other big distraction is the renovation of her cottage, a task that serves as the perfect metaphor for her own step-by-step transformation as she rebuilds her life.

Liv ist geschieden und muß erst wieder Fuß fassen, daher zieht sie in ein kleines Dörfchen in Yorkshire. Um ihrer Einsamkeit zu entgehen, adoptiert sie Harry einen älteren Hund aus dem Tierheim. Auf ihren Spaziergängen lernen sie die neue Nachbarschaft kennen. Stanley ist Autist und fürchtet sich vor allem Neuen, Valentin ist ebenfalls sehr einsam, seine Frau ist an Alzheimer erkrankt und er besucht sie täglich im Heim. Maya ist ein aufmüpfiger Teenager und kann sich momentan selbst nicht leiden. The latter plotline is what makes Someone Great the perfect late ( or early, depending on who you ask) pandemic watch. If I had to guess, we’re all emerging from these last 17 months a little worse for wear. Co-quarantining killed relationships we thought would last forever, and the routine of work-sleep-repeat has us leaving careers we thought we’d have forever. In other words, life probably still feels shitty and uncertain to most people, and it’s reassuring to watch someone fictional come to terms with that as imperfectly as the rest of us. I really feel like this book needs a sequel. (Please?!) It tied up in the end, but I really want to know what happens to them all. I got so invested in this story, I got tears at the sad parts, I got tears at the happy parts. I know it sounds silly to be so ‘into’ a book, but I really was. The fact that it was also set in the beautiful Yorkshire countryside, I loved too, as it’s one of my favourite parts of the world to be in! Can we also talk Harry, oh my what a beautiful dog, a rescue dog which makes it more of a loving story for me, I am all for adopting and helping animals. Having rescued four cats myself. Harry was just so friendly and it is surprising how a dog can impact on so many different people and bring them through their struggles. I have pictured my cat Alfie with the book because he reminded me of Harry in the way he is so friendly and will always be at my front door to welcome people. One Good Thing is a story of grief, moving on, getting out of your comfort zone,navigating different relationships, family dynamics and accepting help from others.I don’t think my words can’t really do justice to this wholesome, emotional and utterly endearing contemporary romance. So, if your looking for something sweet and uplifting for your next read then look no further, you won’t be disappointed! Die Charaktere habe ich tatsächlich fast alle ins Herz geschlossen, etwas was ich nach dem Klappentext gar nicht gedacht hätte. Besonders toll ist natürlich Harry, der es eigentlich war, der sie alle zusammengeführt hat. Ein Hoch auf tolle tierische Begleiter in Büchern (und natürlich auch im echten Leben). Liv wird nach und nach klar, was sie eigentlich möchte und schafft es nach und nach auch wieder andern Mitmenschen mehr zu vertrauen. Valentine... oh man, sehr emotionale Geschichte. Über Ben habe ich gerne gelesen - vielleicht hätte ich sogar gerne noch mehr über ihn gelesen. Und dann wären da natürlich auch noch all die anderen Personen im Dorf, die doch irgendwie alle eine wichtige Rolle gespielt haben. In der ganzen Geschichte herrscht so eine angenehme Atmosphäre, was es mir fast unmöglich machte, das Buch aus der Hand zu legen. But Liv discovers she’s not the only one looking for a new beginning in her walks with Harry, meets some incredible people: Valentine (an old man suffering from loneliness), Stanley (a little boy who’s scared of everyone) and Maya (a rebellious teen mad at the world). But slowly, with Harry’s help things start to change for the better…

Das war mein erstes Buch von Alexandra Potter und ich habe mich sofort in ihren wundervollen Schreibstil verliebt, der mir ganz besonders schöne Lesestunden beschert hat.Es war so schön zu lesen, wie sie sich alle durch Harry verändern und wie die ganze Dorfgemeinschaft zusammenwächst. The chapters are short and snappy, which I liked very much, and alternate between Liv and other characters. I've never felt confused by them and their stories, even if there were plenty of them - because those stories were so interesting and truly tugging at the heart - strings.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment